Options

Colin Baker the worst doctor?

lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
Forum Member
✭✭
I never watched Colin Baker the first time round. However, everything I heard or read about him seemed to indicate that everything about his time was pretty much sh*te.

Now I watched most or pretty much all of the Colin Baker stories. They are actually insightful, philosphical and not half bad. Colin's acting is great. Some philosophical questions of his series dip into the eighties zeitgeist (e.g. vegetarinism and species extinciton and habitat distruction). To be fair, in my mind, he was a brilliant doctor, who didn't get the recognition he deserved.

What does everyone else feel (sorry if it has been raised before, I just rewatched "Attack of the Cybermen" and I thought it was really good - well Perry was a bit of a nuisance, but I'm sure the male members of the forum species will disaggree;).

Comments

• Options
    Jakes_stuffJakes_stuff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched Colin Baker the first time round. However, everything I heard or read about him seemed to indicate that everything about his time was pretty much sh*te.

Now I watched most or pretty much all of the Colin Baker stories. They are actually insightful, philosphical and not half bad. Colin's acting is great. Some philosophical questions of his series dip into the eighties zeitgeist (e.g. vegetarinism and species extinciton and habitat distruction). To be fair, in my mind, he was a brilliant doctor, who didn't get the recognition he deserved.

What does everyone else feel (sorry if it has been raised before, I just rewatched "Attack of the Cybermen" and I thought it was really good - well Perry was a bit of a nuisance, but I'm sure the male members of the forum species will disaggree;).

I think Colin was given a raw deal, and also some really bad material to work with - he fares much better in the audio plays
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Colin has done a lot of good work in the audios, but I did not care for the way he played the role on TV. This was not entirely his fault, but part of some rather baffling plan to have the audience dislike his Doctor before growing to love him at a later date. As a very young child, as I was at the time, it was fairly traumatic for me to see Colin's Doctor trying to murder Peri in the story that followed on from my Doctor sacrificing himself to try and save. As an eight year old child these things stay with you, and there was exactly zero chance of me ever being won over by him after this incident at the time, and I am sure I was not alone.

He also got saddled with the terrible Trial of a Timelord concept which stunk to high heaven.

I feel a bit bad for him in many ways, as so many factors went against him, but while I wouldn't want to call anyone "the worst" Doctor, he remains easily my least favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think Colin has done a lot of good work in the audios, but I did not care for the way he played the role on TV. This was not entirely his fault, but part of some rather baffling plan to have the audience dislike his Doctor before growing to love him at a later date. As a very young child, as I was at the time, it was fairly traumatic for me to see Colin's Doctor trying to murder Peri in the story that followed on from my Doctor sacrificing himself to try and save. As an eight year old child these things stay with you, and there was exactly zero chance of me ever being won over by him at the time, and I am sure I was not alone.

He also got saddled with the terrible Trial of a Timelord concept which stunk to high heaven.

I feel a bit bad for him in many ways, as so many factors went against him, but while I wouldn't want to call anyone "the worst" Doctor, he remains easily my least favourite.

I know what you mean, and I think it was a bold concept. However, in the next story (i.e. Attack of the Cybermen). Colin is not so much different from, for instance, David Tennant. He clearly wanted to follow the distress signal and help!! I think the few minutes of insanity could be easily forgiven and explained by the regenerations process. Hovewer, I didn't watch it as a child, and the effects you describe are probably different from my own experience:). I just can see the enjoyment in his acting, and I think David Tennant was very similar.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the above poster who said he had a raw deal. He had a crap costume, an equally crap opening story and he had the misfortune to be the The Doctor when Michael Grade was in charge of programming. That meant he had to deal with the show's hiatus in '85/86 and then had the misfortune of getting sacked. All in all, I think he was the worse treated of all The Doctor's, but Colin Baker as a person has been the most eager to be The Doctor. He treats the fans well from my personal experience and from what others have said.

As for his Doctor, big mistake to start him of so nasty. He never recovered from that I think and the costume didn't help. Loved him to bits during the Trial Season and had he continued, he could have been one of the greats. A truly great Doctor that never was, who never fulfilled his potential due to decisions made out of his control. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, and I think it was a bold concept. However, in the next story (i.e. Attack of the Cybermen). Colin is not so much different from, for instance, David Tennant. He clearly wanted to follow the distress signal and help!! I think the few minutes of insanity could be easily forgiven and explained by the regenerations process. Hovewer, I didn't watch it as a child, and the effects you describe are probably different from my own experience:). I just can see the enjoyment in his acting, and I think David Tennant was very similar.

I certainly agree my age was a factor here, which is why I mentioned it, but I am sure many other viewers were uncomfortable with this too I think there is a fine line between being bold and being foolish, however, and I think they crossed the line with that concept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

P.S, I diasgree! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above poster who said he had a raw deal. He had a crap costume, an equally crap opening story and he had the misfortune to be the The Doctor when Michael Grade was in charge of programming.

yes indeed, he was up against it an awful lot, especially as Grade had a personal grudge against him....no one who has taken over the role has had so much going against him, not even McCoy.....

Thats why i try not to be too harsh on him even though I'm not keen on him in the role. A lot of it wasn't his fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the above poster who said he had a raw deal. He had a crap costume, an equally crap opening story and he had the misfortune to be the The Doctor when Michael Grade was in charge of programming. That meant he had to deal with the show's hiatus in '85/86 and then had the misfortune of getting sacked. All in all, I think he was the worse treated of all The Doctor's, but Colin Baker as a person has been the most eager to be The Doctor. He treats the fans well from my personal experience and from what others have said.

As for his Doctor, big mistake to start him of so nasty. He never recovered from that I think and the costume didn't help. Loved him to bits during the Trial Season and had he continued, he could have been one of the greats. A truly great Doctor that never was, who never fulfilled his potential due to decisions made out of his control. :(
    I certainly agree my age was a factor here, which is why I mentioned it, but I am sure many other viewers were uncomfortable with this too I think there is a fine line between being bold and being foolish, however, and I think they crossed the line with that concept.

Maybe you are both right, that his introduction was wrong. Of course I didn't like his nastiness either and his willingness of sacrifiicing Peri (after PD sacrificie). However, afterwards, I feel he really redeemed himself and I didn't dislike the stories (I'm quite a simple soul I fear, I like Sylvester McCoy as well). I'm always sad when Colin Baker is used as the yardstick for Who-poorness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P.S, I diasgree! :D:D:D:D

Even as a female of the species, I can see her appeal (especially in the pink lycra in Attack of the Cybermen):D:D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes indeed, he was up against it an awful lot, especially as Grade had a personal grudge against him....no one who has taken over the role has had so much going against him, not even McCoy.....

Thats why i try not to be too harsh on him even though I'm not keen on him in the role. A lot of it wasn't his fault.

Weird thing for me was that I absoluted hated him to begin with because he took over from Davison, my fave. Over the years though, my attitude has mellowed because I've looked at the bigger picture. Okay, he's not up there with my fave Doctors but I enjoy watching him a lot.
    I think whoever was The Doctor when Grade was in charge would have been up against it. Grade was fortunate that Baker wasn't very popular and that Season 22 was quite violent at times. It gave him the perfect excuse to take the actions that he did. :mad:
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed Colin's brief tenure as the Doctor. Hated his costume (but that was down to someone else, not his fault), and I enjoyed his 45-minute two part stories too. (Let's forget the previous Twin Dilemma:rolleyes:).
    I liked his personality - brash and arrogant, but caring at times. It needed someone to break away from Peter Davisons naive, quiet , geeky sort of person.
    Unfortunately, 'Trial Of a Time Lord' ruined it for him - a cheap-looking serial with video instead of film for outdoors, and some crappy stories (apart from The Vervoid story which was ok).
    That's just my opinion anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a female of the species, I can see her appeal (especially in the pink lycra in Attack of the Cybermen):D:D.

I was thinking more of her blue one in VOV and her costume in The Two Doctors!!!!:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    The worst one is the current one in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »

Controversial.......but wrong! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pull the other one, it's got bells on.....;)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember Colin's tenure as the Doctor as being particularly good, but I'd agree that that wasn't really his fault. He had (mostly) poor stories (Vengeance on Varos and Revelation of the Daleks are really his only good stories, though The Two Doctors had it's moments, mostly involving Shockeye) and the show was being "messed about" at the time.

It seems harsh to call Colin the worst Doctor under those circumstances, but if not him, then who? I can't think of any other Doctor whose tenure I don't recall more fondly than Colin's - except maybe Paul McGann's, and he didn't really do it long enough to judge. Hartnell and Troughton too I've seen little of, but they both seemed very good from the couple of stories I've seen from each.

So, although as I've said I don't think it's really his fault, my answer to the question in the thread title must be yes, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Where's Ting with his Tennant rant? :eek: ;)

Agreed. No surprises you've already got the rolleyes emote but I suppose it saves me getting it!
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for Colin Baker. He got lumbered with that dreadful costume. They deliberately made his charactor unlikeable at first to do a "journey", which ended up with some people just disliking him and not getting to finish it. He had some of the worst scripts ever, with no budget whatsoever. You can count on one hand the number of decent stories he had.

There was no support for the show from upper Management, which led to the embarrassment of him being fired.

After all that no one would have blamed him if he'd just turned his back and walked away from DW for good, but he didn't.

His time as The Doctor wasn't good, but he wasn't the reason why it wasn't good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the answers:).

Can I just categorically state, I don't think Colin is the worst doctor. Actually I don't think there is a worst doctor. As I have said on many occassions, whenever I watch any Doctor Who, the person playing it is the doctor.

I was interested why so many people feel that he was rubbish or bad, and I think the majority seem to think that it was the stories and what he was up against at the time (Grade politics).

I have watched most of his stories and I honestly don't think they are that bad. His violence at times adds another layer to a very complex character. If anything I find Colin's aggressive doctor more believable than the modern pacifist doctors (I don't mean this as a criticism of New Who and I understand that the doctor has changed after the time war).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Ting with his Tennant rant? :eek: ;)

because quite clearly this is a thread about Colin Baker?:confused:
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I agree with most of what has been posted previously. Colin stood virtualy no chance of ever becoming very popular. Grade was not only against him but the whole programme. His costume was just plain stupid and his opening story was crap. later stories where much better with perhaps the exception of Timelash, but he never really recovered from his opening story.
    With apologies so Sylvester fans but I have to admit that he was my least favourite Doctor, perhaps it was because of his strong Scotish accent but I never "believed" in his Doctor
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin was fine in my opinion but they could have done with a rethink with that costume they made him wear. He looked a tit.

I thought the worse Doc with Sylvester McCoy. I found him annoying and also his stories were bobbins...
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems harsh to call Colin the worst Doctor under those circumstances, but if not him, then who? I can't think of any other Doctor whose tenure I don't recall more fondly than Colin's - except maybe Paul McGann's, and he didn't really do it long enough to judge.
    *cough* loads of audiuos *cough*
    Hartnell and Troughton too I've seen little of, but they both seemed very good from the couple of stories I've seen from each.

So, although as I've said I don't think it's really his fault, my answer to the question in the thread title must be yes, I'm afraid.

No. Colin was a great Doctor. Colin is a great Doctor. The worst Doctor ever is the manic, maddening Tennant-no contest.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I like all the Doctors. :D

But i haven't seen much of Colin Bakers Doctor. I've watched two doctors, read the Synthespians TM, and i've also read volume one of his comics with Frobisher and that weird star map bloke. (Those stories were rubbish.) But i also read his bit in The Forgotten. Not that good.

Ii know my family don't like him but that aside, he visited where i lived recently but my family wouldn't take me :( . Blast! Any Doctor is still a Doctor.

Still i'm not sure whether i like him yet.

His Dalek story. Complex-word-begining-with-R-just-like-the-last-two-and-next-one of the Daleks. Where can i watch that..........you know.....arround here. You know, onae lineae. If you catch my drift.