Comments

• squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed that, must just be a big kid
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was great especially Sheridan Smith who is one of the most versatile actresses around today. Some of you don't recognise quality when it's staritng you in the face !
  • marie67marie67 Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it,

I'm confused by someone who turns off after 3 minutes. Maybe you are very perceptive and know instantly if you will like it. You are far more intelligent than me.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    i cant stand david walliams so i will not be watching also its for kids
    Me too....but this was very good, great cast too....and maybe the best thing I'll see on BBC1 this Christmas.
  • brian_wbrian_w Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    The apparent product placement (or at least naming of products) was certainly not subtle! Don't know if this was deliberate, but it was quite intrusive and jarring at times.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the feelgood factor; good fun.
    Who watched in 3D and how did it come over?

Wasn't too bad in 3D. Lots of scenes where you could see the depth, although it always looks like people and things are cut out and stuck infront of things rather than being rounded.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miaviv wrote: »
    Thought this was great especially Sheridan Smith who is one of the most versatile actresses around today. Some of you don't recognise quality when it's staritng you in the face !

I don't have a problem with Sheridan Smith but acting is utterly subjective.

I enjoyed this too. It didn't feel "Christmassy" until the end though. Until that point, I thought they were going to continue with the idea of Mr Stink going into politics, with the story ending with him becoming Prime Minister (and banning "indoor baths" or something equally silly).
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brian_w wrote: »
    The apparent product placement (or at least naming of products) was certainly not subtle! Don't know if this was deliberate, but it was quite intrusive and jarring at times.

Why was it intrusive? A bit much for the supposedly non-commercial BBC, granted, but it's obviously lifted from David Walliams's story. I enjoyed it, a good, fun story for this time of year.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    No she is awful. At least she's not playing the dumb chav, first time in her life she's played a different role.

I hope that this is a wind-up.

Smith is one of the best young actresses around, brilliant in everything and very versatile. The idea that she can only play the "dumb chav" could only be made by someone who knew nothing about her career - which includes many prestigious awards including three (Evening Standard, Laurence Olivier and BroadwayWorld) for her stage role as Countess Skriczevinsky - who is neither dumb nor a chav.
  • theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another big kid here...I loved it!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't anyone see it in 2d. Did the megaphone effect work as well?
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it, but what let it down was the totally implausible pairing of the Mum and Dad. I know they say opposites attract, but I cannot imagine a universe in which these two people would ever marry each other.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it longer, then switched over.

Me too but switched back at the end.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Enjoyed it, but what let it down was the totally implausible pairing of the Mum and Dad. I know they say opposites attract, but I cannot imagine a universe in which these two people would ever marry each other.

Correct !! ;)
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miaviv wrote: »

Aww come on.. she`s hardly Meryl Streep :cool:
  • brian_wbrian_w Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    Why was it intrusive? A bit much for the supposedly non-commercial BBC, granted, but it's obviously lifted from David Walliams's story. I enjoyed it, a good, fun story for this time of year.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story and the visuals in 3D were quite good too, but I felt that the consistent naming of products rather than using their generic equivalent, was a bit overdone. Not having read the original story though, I may well be missing the fact that maybe it's part of the narrative.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I hope that this is a wind-up.

Smith is one of the best young actresses around, brilliant in everything and very versatile. The idea that she can only play the "dumb chav" could only be made by someone who knew nothing about her career - which includes many prestigious awards including three (Evening Standard, Laurence Olivier and BroadwayWorld) for her stage role as Countess Skriczevinsky - who is neither dumb nor a chav.

I haven't seen her on stage, I however have seen her in

Jonathan Creek
    Gavin and Stacey
    Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps
    Benidorm
    Eyes Down
    Fat Friends
    The Royle Family

I really don't see her as versatile, I see her as annoying. She performed the same thing in each program and every time I see her I just want to slap her.
    Didnt see Mrs Biggs then no?:rolleyes:

No I didn't, I avoided it as it had Sheridan Smith in it.
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased I decided to watch it now, I really enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Aww come on.. she`s hardly Meryl Streep :cool:

What makes you say that? Smith is brilliant and versatile, and one of the most sought after actresses for a huge range of roles.

She recently had a triumph as Hedda Gabler, one of the key stage roles for a woman. http://www.whatsonstage.com/roundup/theatre/london/E8831347530928/Review+Round-up%3A+Does+Sheridan+shine+as+Hedda+Gabler%3F.html
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    What makes you say that? Smith is brilliant and versatile, and one of the most sought after actresses for a huge range of roles.

She recently had a triumph as Hedda Gabler, one of the key stage roles for a woman. http://www.whatsonstage.com/roundup/theatre/london/E8831347530928/Review+Round-up%3A+Does+Sheridan+shine+as+Hedda+Gabler%3F.html

I take it you didn't read The Telegraph review of Hedda Gabler http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/9543401/Hedda-Gabler-at-Old-Vic-Seven-magazine-review.html

"Miss Smith presents this complicated leading lady as, alas, Miss Smith – all kooky smiles, lipstick and big hair – which is a crying shame as Brian Friel’s adaptation of Ibsen’s old potboiler is a spirited, intelligent and classy affair"
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whole family sat and watched it, we really enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waz101 wrote: »
    I take it you didn't read The Telegraph review of Hedda Gabler http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/9543401/Hedda-Gabler-at-Old-Vic-Seven-magazine-review.html
    "Miss Smith presents this complicated leading lady as, alas, Miss Smith – all kooky smiles, lipstick and big hair – which is a crying shame as Brian Friel’s adaptation of Ibsen’s old potboiler is a spirited, intelligent and classy affair"
    The review you quote was from Seven the Sunday Telegraph magazine. How seriously do you take a review that describes "Hedda Gabler" as a potboiler?

As I showed in the long list of favourable reviews for Smith's Gabler, Tim Walker's view was very much in the minority. The Daily Telegraph review by Charles Spencer said:
    But the great thrill of the night is Sheridan Smith, revealing herself as an actress of truly tremendous talent and range.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/9539495/Hedda-Gabler-Old-Vic-review.html
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »

That did cross my mind. There's opposites and there's those two. The lead girl was good though.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the feelgood factor; good fun.
    Who watched in 3D and how did it come over?

Haven't seen yet, but the usual confusion of BBC1 HD and BBC HD is still around!! Here's a Tweet:-
    We sat and watched mr stink with our 3D glasses on, and only realised when it had finished we weren't on the 3D channel. Hmm.

Just like Strictly last year.

The 3D version is already available on iPlayer via Sky and the web.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brian_w wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story and the visuals in 3D were quite good too, but I felt that the consistent naming of products rather than using their generic equivalent, was a bit overdone. Not having read the original story though, I may well be missing the fact that maybe it's part of the narrative.

I must say that I didn't notice so if they were trying to persuade me to buy anything they failed.