Options

Problem With Malwarebytes

i got a new laptop about a month ago. as with my old one i installed the free version of malwarebytes, this time their latest edition.

everything's been fine. i run the threat scan on a regular basis and all has been ok until the past few evenings. since tuesday the scan no longer finishes, it just gets stuck on heuristic analysis and goes on and on and on with no end to it.

i have done a virus check, all is fine. i uninstalled malwarebytes, reinstalled, but the same problem occurs.

i got so fed up with it last night i uninstalled it again and went back to the 1.75 version.

anyone else encountered this or know what to do? cheers.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stick with the 1.75 version.
    much better.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I was using v1.51.2.1300 and installed a newer version, but had problems with it, so just restored back to 1.51. Malwarebytes still update the definitions so I'm happy. I wouldn't worry about it OP these things happen. I installed a newer version of Adobe reader a while back and the system didn't like it so that was restored back to v9, and a freeware photo editing suite just last week same thing.

A good tip is to create a restore point before you install the new version or any new software, then it's easy to roll back if it doesn't work.
  • Options
    -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,281
    Forum Member
    thanks guys. i have to admit i do prefer v1.75 over the new version.

any idea how long v1.75 is going to be supported for? i don't particularly want to return to the new one.

also, if i did move away from malwarebytes at some point in the future what would be the best alternative to use?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't know how long support will continue for old versions. From what I've read there don't seem to be any plans to stop the definitions updates. Email them if you want or post on the Malwarebyte forum if it worries you.

As to what malware protection to use in the future, it would depend on what was around when/if it happens. It's no big deal though as there's bound to be something. I only have it as a backup anyway and in all the many scans I have carried out only once did it find something, and then it was minor.
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I am running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free version) 2.0. 2.1012 without problems.

Until last weekend I was running it on a Windows Home 8.1 x64 laptop. This week I have reverted to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It's operated without problems on both so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arfcdf wrote: »
    I am running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free version) 2.0. 2.1012 without problems.

Until last weekend I was running it on a Windows Home 8.1 x64 laptop. This week I have reverted to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It's operated without problems on both so it's not all bad.

Same version here with no problems with W8.1.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And V2 has a much better scanning engine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And V2 has a much better scanning engine.

that's debatable.
    in my testing i've found v1.x still to be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    that's debatable.
    in my testing i've found v1.x still to be better.

How do you actually test the effectiveness of one version against another?

Do you deliberately install malware for each version to discover?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Malwarebytes themselves state that they improved the scanning engine in V2 ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, Malwarebytes themselves state that they improved the scanning engine in V2 ........

well they ain't gonna say it's no better than v1.x are they.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you actually test the effectiveness of one version against another?

Do you deliberately install malware for each version to discover?

i could ask how you can tell that v2.x is any better then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not had any problems with V2 on any of the installations/updates I have done on W8/W7 and a few Vista.

There is a good support forum, that you could try here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    i could ask how you can tell that v2.x is any better then?

It was a genuine question because I don't know how you test a piece of software such as this to establish if one version is better than another. I take it from your response that you haven't done so.

BTW: I haven't claimed that one version is better than the other. I simply upgraded when I was offered the opportunity and commented that I had not had any problems with the new version on two versions of Windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a genuine question because I don't know how you test a piece of software such as this to establish if one version is better than another. I take it from your response that you haven't done so.

there's been a separate thread about it on here already IIRC.

however, having used both versions, v1.x is still superior IMO.
    v2.x is a fancy GUI which isn't needed and when i used it, it didn't actually completely remove any of the findings, it just quarantined them (well it didn't even tell you that it had), wherea v1.x lets you remove them completely straight away.

there as some debate about v2.x and it's detection rates also.

for those that use v2.x and like then fair enough, but i'll be sticking to v1.x.