Options

Corsair H80i Pump Whine

airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had this cooler installed since I built my PC around a year ago but the other day I decided to swap the fans that came with the unit for the new SP120 green ones (as it's a green build) and I wanted those as the finishing touch.

I'm starting to wish i hadn't. Since I installed them onto the unit and fixed it back into place the pump emits a high pitch whistling sound. I did stop both fans it see if it was the bearings on one of those but it's definitely the pump.

Any ideas guys? I can still hear the noise now even though my PC has been off for about an hour.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airwaves wrote: »
    I've had this cooler installed since I built my PC around a year ago but the other day I decided to swap the fans that came with the unit for the new SP120 green ones (as it's a green build) and I wanted those as the finishing touch.

I'm starting to wish i hadn't. Since I installed them onto the unit and fixed it back into place the pump emits a high pitch whistling sound. I did stop both fans it see if it was the bearings on one of those but it's definitely the pump.

Any ideas guys? I can still hear the noise now even though my PC has been off for about an hour.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You may have more luck reposting here;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

also, try Corsair support and their community forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You may have more luck reposting here;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

also, try Corsair support and their community forums.

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think judging by the lack of answers anyone can help me. I've read a few things elsewhere such as air being caught in the piping and tilting the case but that does nothing. I even put the previous fans back on to see if that would cure it.

Probably a bit drastic but I've already ordered a h100i today as I need to get rid of this noise. Thanks for your reply and advice though.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Air get into the unit? I thought these units was sealed.

I am looking at going that way for cooling on my next build, not sure which one to go for.
    I always said water and electric don't mix, but these units do seem better and quieter than air cooled.

I did help a mate a couple of years back build a water cooled machined, but that was nto a sealed unit and to be honest, was more hassle than it was worth.

Surly if you only had your unit for a year then it is worth getting hold of Corsair, they are pretty good you never know what they may say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    How can Air get into the unit? I thought these units was sealed.

I am looking at going that way for cooling on my next build, not sure which one to go for.
    I always said water and electric don't mix, but these units do seem better and quieter than air cooled.

I did help a mate a couple of years back build a water cooled machined, but that was nto a sealed unit and to be honest, was more hassle than it was worth.

Surly if you only had your unit for a year then it is worth getting hold of Corsair, they are pretty good you never know what they may say.

The liquid within the pump is sealed obviously but you need two fans to cool the liquid as it passes through the loop via the supplied radiator.

Anyway I've discovered that for some reason the new SP fans don't work for me so I've swapped them out for regular NZXT green fans and the SP's are being used as case fans now. Not their recommended requirement but at least I'm using them.

If and when Corsair bring out green Quiet Edition fans I might get those but for the meantime my ears are happy again!
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to have the same worries about water + computers, but on my last build (4770K) I tried a CoolerMaster Seidon 120V, a single radiator unit. I did a side by side test with 2 * 4770K's rendering C4D, one using the stock cooler and one water. The water system was 15C lower. Screenshot using remote desktop and Aida64 -

http://s27.postimg.org/vamcy59lv/seidon120v.jpg

cooler -
    http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/seidon/seidon-120v/

my case was an old Antec 300 which is wider than some, and so could accommodate the rad/fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cooler master HAF 912 plus case, so the radiator should be able to go into the top of the case, if I go for a single I could stick the rad in the back of the case, but I think I may as well go for dual for a little bit more money and stick it in the top.

It will not be until next year anyway, when I update the CPU as well.

I thing water cooling is the way things are going, with processors getting more powerful and needing larger fans and heatsinks to keep cool.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thing water cooling is the way things are going, with processors getting more powerful and needing larger fans and heatsinks to keep cool.

If you look at the Intel pages for max TDP (themal design power), you'll see that although more powerful, new chips are running cooler. Processors I have used -

1st gen i7-930 - 130W
    2nd gen i7-2600k - 95W
    3rd gen i7-3770 - 77W
    4th gen i7-4770k - 84W

whereas at this benchmark site
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    my 930 scores 5211, and the 4770K scores 10282 ie 2X as powerful but using only 64% of the power.

Unless you are overclocking, the stock Intel cooler is fine (even at full load for hours). I use my machines for rendering, which means cores @ 100% for days on end. If you look at my screenshot above, the 4770k with stock blower is at 70C on full load - which is fine.

The 2600K in the list above is overclocked and I use a Dark Rock cooler, which is a massive bit of kit. It covers the ram (making maintenance a pain) and although a good cooler, still dumps the heat in the case - needing extra fans. The Seidon 120V takes the heat and dumps it outside !

(equivalent AMD cpu TDPs are typically 125W, so would probably benefit from H2O)

My dabble with water cooling was just an experiment. Too much time on my hands . . .
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the old fans and see if the whine goes. It could be the fan controller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    If you look at the Intel pages for max TDP (themal design power), you'll see that although more powerful, new chips are running cooler. Processors I have used -

1st gen i7-930 - 130W
    2nd gen i7-2600k - 95W
    3rd gen i7-3770 - 77W
    4th gen i7-4770k - 84W

whereas at this benchmark site
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    my 930 scores 5211, and the 4770K scores 10282 ie 2X as powerful but using only 64% of the power.

Unless you are overclocking, the stock Intel cooler is fine (even at full load for hours). I use my machines for rendering, which means cores @ 100% for days on end. If you look at my screenshot above, the 4770k with stock blower is at 70C on full load - which is fine.

The 2600K in the list above is overclocked and I use a Dark Rock cooler, which is a massive bit of kit. It covers the ram (making maintenance a pain) and although a good cooler, still dumps the heat in the case - needing extra fans. The Seidon 120V takes the heat and dumps it outside !

(equivalent AMD cpu TDPs are typically 125W, so would probably benefit from H2O)

My dabble with water cooling was just an experiment. Too much time on my hands . . .

Yes, I agree with you there, but how large is that stock blower compared to say one on a older chip couple of years back?

A ceiling will be hit and processors willl start to get too warm for air, or you need massive fans and heatsink. You can only get to a certain efficiency and that will stop to drop again the faster you make the processor.

My heatsink is pretty big, but I made sure I can get to everything. I will be going for AMD again I expect the next time, the problem I have is that it says ont he chips I been looking at is to use air down type coolers only, well mine is not air down, nor is a water cooler.

I am starting to like the idea of a water cooler now, I don't know why, my one problem is that it is more to go wrong. With air cooling, if the fan stops, the computer will shut down, but water cooling, you got a pump that could go wrong.