Options

UKIP Candidate deselected admitting to animal cruelty charges.

angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
Forum Member
www. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-29626429

UKIP needs to get its act together. This case has been known about for some time. UKIP clearly hasn't the vetting resources in place to do the checks that are necessary. All they get in the end is more bad publicity.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Yes, this was a totally disgusting case and better candidate vetting is clearly required because no one of that poor calibre should ever be selected for any political party:

Following complaints, animal health inspectors and police visited Evans' North Cornwall farm in February and found sheep and lamb carcasses throughout the site, including decomposed remains in bags. Live sheep which were emaciated, ill and "close to death" were also found, many of which had to be put down.
    http://www.westbriton.co.uk/UKIP-drops-MP-neglect-case/story-23199178-detail/story.html
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    Horrible person
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Yes, this was a totally disgusting case and better candidate vetting is clearly required because no one of that poor calibre should ever be selected for any political party:

Following complaints, animal health inspectors and police visited Evans' North Cornwall farm in February and found sheep and lamb carcasses throughout the site, including decomposed remains in bags. Live sheep which were emaciated, ill and "close to death" were also found, many of which had to be put down.
    http://www.westbriton.co.uk/UKIP-drops-MP-neglect-case/story-23199178-detail/story.html

Thanks for that. My BBC link didn't seem to work.

David Evans's lawyer suggested he has medical problems. That, and the charges against him, should have been discovered by UKIP.

They can never be taken seriously until they thoroughly vet their candidates at all levels. It is simply naive to expect every prospective candidate to be totally honest and forthcoming about themselves.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetting candidates has to be one of their main priorities now. To a degree they are victims of their own success in this. That is why as a UKIP supporter, I am happy that there is a concerted effort by the media to out whackos, even if I an cynical about the motives. The more whacks outed the less chance there is that I will vote for one. So as long as the facts are reported straight and in context, bring it on.

The party needs to tackle the issue and be seen to tackle it.