Huge racism scandal in US BB

2»

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite right that they're not kicked out. The point of Big Brother, even BBUS, is that the audience get to watch people interact when their guard is down, and that includes hearing them say things you don't like.

The only problem with this is that CBS haven't been entirely honest about the extent of it, and have barely even mentioned the homophobia at all.
  • SweetSyrupSweetSyrup Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's quite right that they're not kicked out. The point of Big Brother, even BBUS, is that the audience get to watch people interact when their guard is down, and that includes hearing them say things you don't like.

The only problem with this is that CBS haven't been entirely honest about the extent of it, and have barely even mentioned the homophobia at all.

It's not "quite right". Its worth pointing out that the extent of the hate speech would incur a criminal offence in the UK of inciting racial hatred and a prison sentence. Racists shouldn't have a media platform to air their verbal poison, its wrong, certainly not in the context of an entertainment show.

The fact some viewers want this show as salacious as possible is worrying, and why some people see it as pure trash.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    It's not "quite right". Its worth pointing out that the extent of the hate speech would incur a criminal offence in the UK of inciting racial hatred and a prison sentence. Racists shouldn't have a media platform to air their verbal poison, its wrong, certainly not in the context of an entertainment show.

The fact some viewers want this show as salacious as possible is worrying, and why some people see it as pure trash.
    In America they still occasionally air the views of Daniel Carver a once Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan.
    Freedom of speech and all that.
  • SweetSyrupSweetSyrup Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America they still occasionally air the views of Daniel Carver a once Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan.
    Freedom of speech and all that.

I'm aware of US free speech.

Merely pointing out that what some posters think is perfectly acceptable behaviour to watch for the sake of 'realism' [being entertained] is actually considered a serious crime in the UK.

Don't live in ignorance.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People here are aware it's being broadcast in America and not in Britain and so not subject to the same legal contraints, though also not the same sensationalist tabloid journalism either. I suppose you think Jemima shoud have been jailed for her comment on the show then? Or you thought Emily should have been jailed after BB8? You, I assume, have to prove incitement. I've seen plenty of bigotry on British forums but people get away with it, particularly if it isn't racist or anti-gay but against some other group. There's plenty of ignorance everywhere and I'd advise you not to visit internet forums if you want to be unaware of it, let alone TV programs.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    I'm aware of US free speech.

Merely pointing out that what some posters think is perfectly acceptable behaviour to watch for the sake of 'realism' [being entertained] is actually considered a serious crime in the UK.

Don't live in ignorance.
    No doubt the situation would have been handled much differently in the UK in the first place.
    But as this is in fact an American show being broadcast by an American television network in America,it abides by the laws in America.
    Attempting to make any comparison to UK law is entirely irrelevant to the show.