Most favourite music genres

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    Happy Hardcore has been around for a good 20 years! Its not an age thing :p

When I was in my early teens Happy Hardcore was the genre of choice at my high school, and it was actually happy hardcore that made me buy my first set of decks and start DJ'ing. It has the odd gem amoungst some very, very, very dodgy stuff. A lot of dutch acts from the early 90's were good fun.

Like the wonderfully name Tokyo Ghetto Pussy .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAmN3ji-iVE

That track is still on my ipod, sitting oddly amoungst lots of punk and such like.

The best argument for happy hardcore is that John Peel was a massive fan, i'm paraphrasing but he famously said something like,

"If Elvis was still around then I think he would really have got happy hardcore"

I think Moby might even have started out playing happy hardcore, could have been a musical urban myth though

Cool track, might come in useful next time the neighbours have a house party :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soul, soul and nothing but soul.

I am partial to a bit of dance, hip hop and r&b but nothing even comes close to licking the boots of soul music to me. Loved it since I was 10 years old and it'll be running through my veins when they bury me.
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really choose what I like based on genre... What I base it on is whether it sounds new to me, like something I haven't heard before... Innovation is what motivates me to listen to someones music... If I hear a song and it reminds me of someone else I'll go and listen to that someone else in my music collection and forget about the new artist... This is probably why my music collection is quite alternative because alternative acts tend to more experimental... And by alternative I don't mean guitar based "indie" bands. It could be alternative folk/jazz/rock/pop etc. as long as it excites me and has something interesting to offer.

Heartfelt performances also inspire me to buy an artists music, irrespective of genre. If I relate to the lyric or the music moves me in some way I'd be more likely to buy it.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grunge/Rock/Metal

As hard as it comes.

And anything else that's good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old school 90's dance
    8bit, although that really is a marmite genre
    synthpop
    80's pop
    70 disco

I'll listen to anything though but thats my main genres
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tastes change often, but at the moment I am listening to some Scottish Pirate Metal

And also a bit of Nerd Pop

My musical tastes cover all the extremes, and a lot of whats in between :D