Options

Good food in Brighton

Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone recommend a pub or restaurant in Brighton area that serves good grub? Thanks!:D

Comments

• Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    The Ginger Pig in Hove is fabulous as is Pomegrante in Brighton.
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend Terre A Terre in East Street. It's Vegetarian but don't let that put you off. The range of dishes is superb and the desserts are simply gorgeous.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    I'd recommend Terre A Terre in East Street. It's Vegetarian but don't let that put you off. The range of dishes is superb and the desserts are simply gorgeous.

Vegetarian only would put me off no matter how good the range is, to a carnivore you can offer as much nutloaf as you like but it'll never beat a bacon roll.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetarian only would put me off no matter how good the range is, to a carnivore you can offer as much nutloaf as you like but it'll never beat a bacon roll.
    Stereotype alert. Brighton is very good for vegetarian food but you won't find many places serving nut loaf. And why would you go to a restaurant if all you wanted was a bacon roll?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Stereotype alert. Brighton is very good for vegetarian food but you won't find many places serving nut loaf. And why would you go to a restaurant if all you wanted was a bacon roll?

He's over exaggerated a bit but I agree with his general point. I would never go to a vegetarian restaurant no matter how good it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »

I've just had a look at their website, I'm not vegetarian but their menu looks gorgeous, I really wouldn't miss meat with my meal if I ate here, the only problem would be persuading my OH to do the same
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's over exaggerated a bit but I agree with his general point. I would never go to a vegetarian restaurant no matter how good it was.

Then you'd be missing out. Your loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    I've just had a look at their website, I'm not vegetarian but their menu looks gorgeous, I really wouldn't miss meat with my meal if I ate here, the only problem would be persuading my OH to do the same

If you go, have one of their potato rostis, simply divine. :)
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love a nice bit of meat :blush::D but would quite happily go to a vegetarian restaurant for a meal. As long as it is tasty, that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I love a nice bit of meat :blush::D but would quite happily go to a vegetarian restaurant for a meal. As long as it is tasty, that's good enough for me.

And Terre a Terre is certainly that! There's a fair few decent veggie restaurants in Brighton actually, including a veggie curry house,
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just regarding Terre A Terre. I've eaten there a few times now when I've been to see my step-daughter. Neither of us could be considered Vegetarian and when she first suggested it I was slightly dubious. I trusted her judgement well enough to give it a go and I'm very glad I did. Everything is beautifully fresh and I don't miss meat at all when I eat there.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Casa Don Carlos.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid the Indian restaurants. I have lived in Brighton for 20 years and not been to or ordered from a decent one yet.
  • Options
    Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid the Indian restaurants. I have lived in Brighton for 20 years and not been to or ordered from a decent one yet.

Then you need to go to chilli pickle or curry leaf cafe. Both really good curries
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's so many!!!

A Taste Of Sahara - My personal favourite...incredible food...I would class it as mediterranean. Amazing service, reasonably priced.
    Chilli Pickle - Fantastic Indian, won loads of awards.
    Giggling Squid - In the lanes. Amazing food reasonably priced...they do a lot more than fish so don't let that put you off.
    Donatello's - Great Italian in the lanes.
    Casa Don Carlos - Spanish Tapas
    Mongolian Barbecue - Food is barbecued in front of you and you make your own wraps.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Then you'd be missing out. Your loss.

No I wouldn't. There are plenty of non vegetarian restaurants that will be as good if not better.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not been to the Ashoka in Hove then?
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a place just outside the station - about 5 minutes walk west - that did a really nice pizza last time I was there. I have also had really nice ice creams on the Marina at an Italian place, maybe called Zizzi (or Prezzo but I think it started with a Z - I did find it again on my repeat visit ... one October!)
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I went afew years ago we stayed near the west pier and there was a restaurant called the regency which served British dishes but mainly fish. Here I had the nicest starter I've ever eaten, fresh scallops cooked with garlic butter mmm
  • Options
    sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terre a Terre is FANTASTIC! Ignore the ignorant remarks made about vegetarian restaurants - those people have clearly never been here!

Also about Indian restaurants being rubbish in Brighton - this is also rubbish. Try Indian Summer, it's bloody lovely forward slash, amazing!

And if you end up on a boozy night out and want a great drunken fry up, the Market Diner is a must! They serve everyone within minutes and it's great post-drinking food!

There are quite a few pubs that do good roasts on Sundays. One of our faves was the Freemasons in Hove. The cheeky bastards even do a veggie roast! (and mighty fine it is too!!)

The other Hove restaurant we loved when we lived there was Los Amigos. Yummy food (even the vegetarian stuff!!!!!!!!) and good atmosphere.
  • Options
    sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS if you do go to Terre a Terre, this is my all time favourite of theirs (other than the rosti that someone else mentioned - that's also amazingly lovely!)

'Better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish
    Soft buttermilk soaked halloumi dipped in chip shop batter, served with vodka-spiked preserved plum tomatoes, bright fresh pea mint hash with pickled quails egg, sea salad tartar and chubby chips, finished with lemony Yemeni relish.'

I have also attempted to make it after my step-daughter bought me the Terre a Terre cook book. My presentation fell a bit short (as in, it was shyte!) but even my home made version was bloody delicious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    When I went afew years ago we stayed near the west pier and there was a restaurant called the regency which served British dishes but mainly fish. Here I had the nicest starter I've ever eaten, fresh scallops cooked with garlic butter mmm
    The Regency fish restaraunt on the seafront is indeed fantastic!
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

The Regency is great, and good value. The surroundings look like they haven't been changed since about 1963 though!

The Black Lion pub in Black Lion Street used to do good food, but we haven't been there for about 3-4 years, so it could have gone downhill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    The Regency is great, and good value. The surroundings look like they haven't been changed since about 1963 though!.

..and that's part of its fabulosity :)
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son is studying in Brighton and my wife and I visited him and his girlfriend last Friday. I asked him in advance to think of a good place for lunch and I would treat them.

They took us to Foodilic in North St which apart from a couple of meat stews is a vegetarian salad establishment. £6.45 per head all you can eat with some really inventive and tasty dishes, I absolutely loved it.

http://www.foodilic.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186273-d1825626-Reviews-Foodilic-Brighton_East_Sussex_England.html