Options

Susan Boyle going to sing for the pope

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
What does everyone one think

Is she going to pull it, its going to be her biggest performance ever, I hope she does us scots proud

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    Eh... what has any singer to do with making us Scots proud...
  • Options
    á..á.. Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll probably throw a hissy fit and storm off for some unspecified reason, the nutter.
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh mr rat
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Poor man, POOR MAN! I know he's not the most mopular Papa ever but surely to God he doesn't deserve this? Can't we just fob him off with Leona Lewis on a Double Decker bus like we did the Chinese?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She must be very nervous! Wasn't Chapel her whole life before X Factor?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Are we to be proud of Susan Boyle? Yikes.

I hope the world doesn't think that jabbering bag of nerves represents us as a nation! Oh the shame.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if she'll lift her skirt and do that embarassing waggle the leg thing? :eek:
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I just hope to God she doesn't thrust at him like she did to Fat Piers.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all know she got a face like a horses bottom, but what a voice of :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tribade wrote: »
    Eh... what has any singer to do with making us Scots proud...

Don't you just love it when people speak on your behalf? :p

Susan Boyle doesn't make me proud to be Scottish, I'm not proud to be Scotttish, I didn't choose where I was born no more than I chose the color of my skin, patriotism is just an extension of chauvinism, which stems from fascism, which I don't agree with - the concept of being "proud" of ones country is a notion that has always confused me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Well, at least they have one thing in common. Their popularity is certainly declining.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Wonder if she'll lift her skirt and do that embarassing waggle the leg thing? :eek:

Not really much to write home about compared to Catholic priest's habits for lifting vestments and waggling something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she doing a pop thing? Will it be like the end of 'Sister Act' only with her playing Whoopie's part?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, at least they have one thing in common. Their popularity is certainly declining.

and they are both virgins unless you count Piers Morgan and choirboys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you just love it when people speak on your behalf? :p

Susan Boyle doesn't make me proud to be Scottish, I'm not proud to be Scotttish, I didn't choose where I was born no more than I chose the color of my skin, patriotism is just an extension of chauvinism, which stems from fascism, which I don't agree with - the concept of being "proud" of ones country is a notion that has always confused me.

Try telling that to people who have had their country invaded and had to defend it. I'd say the Finnish, who repelled an attack from Russia, have every right to feel proud. If they weren't a proud race they'd have fallen in a heartbeat.

Patriotism isn't always a negative thing.

Funnily enough I'm not proud to be Scottish though. We're a small minded nation with a huge chip on our shoulder. We have some of the worst social stats in Europe but blame everyone else for it. I love all these neds who proclaim to be patriotic then promptly dump their pizza box on the pavement.

Loving one's country is to cherish it, look after it. Our complete failing's to do so makes me unproud. If we could address the issue then perhaps I'll feel proud again one day. Seems unlikely in our neddy society though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try telling that to people who have had their country invaded and had to defend it. I'd say the Finnish, who repelled an attack from Russia, have every right to feel proud. If they weren't a proud race they'd have fallen in a heartbeat.

Defending and standing up for the innocent people around you strikes me as basic humanity more than patriotism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh! This is in Showbiz now! The Papal visit is Showbiz? I suppose the stage in Bellahouston Park does look like a music festival stage. But with more crosses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Oooooh Popey-baby!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funnily enough I'm not proud to be Scottish though. We're a small minded nation with a huge chip on our shoulder. We have some of the worst social stats in Europe but blame everyone else for it. I love all these neds who proclaim to be patriotic then promptly dump their pizza box on the pavement.

Loving one's country is to cherish it, look after it. Our complete failing's to do so makes me unproud. If we could address the issue then perhaps I'll feel proud again one day. Seems unlikely in our neddy society though.

Except what you described wasn't patriotism.

I agree with you on Neds/Chavs. ;)
    elnombre wrote:
    Defending and standing up for the innocent people around you strikes me as basic humanity more than patriotism.

^^^This. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »

Because being patriotic can unite a people against tyranny, being humanitarian won't cut it. It's not humanity. A unified country will defend itself till death. A country with an apathetic attitude towards national pride will fall and fall quickly. Just human nature.

Anyway, this Susan Boyle woman.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Except what you described wasn't patriotism.

I agree with you on Neds/Chavs. ;)

^^^This. :)

If it were THAT then Rhwanda would never have happened. Or Yugoslavia or any other nation that tore itself apart.

Humanitarians don't win wars. Sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I hear Elton Johns gonna sing " dont let your son go down on me" for the Pope ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder is she is going to kiss his ring, he might enjoy that :D:D
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Is Sinead O'Connor singing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because being patriotic can unite a people against tyranny, being humanitarian won't cut it. It's not humanity. A unified country will defend itself till death. A country with an apathetic attitude towards national pride will fall and fall quickly. Just human nature.

I don't see any connection between national pride and hatred of/rebellion against tyranny.