Options

Poor picture quality on Sky SD channels Sky1 and Sky Living

TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ever since Sky Atlantic/HD launched and the rebrand of Sky Living/HD/Sky Living Loves there has been a massive decrease in the picture quality on Sky1 SD do these channels now share the same transponder ?

Comments

• Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say it's got any worse than it already was. The picture on Sky1 SD and all the other Sky branded SD channels has been horrendous for a long time. Take a look at the new channel 'Sky Atlantic' - it's just as bad. To make matters worse, Sky 'massively' decreased the picture quality on the Living channels and Challenge last week when Living was rebranded to Sky Living. I have absolutely no doubts now that it's a deliberate attempt by Sky to make the HD varients of their channels look vastly superior.

More info...

Sky reduces pictures on Living channels to 544 x 576

is sky sd better quality on virgin media?
  • Options
    xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the many attempts to get you to pay the extra £10.25

soon HD will be free and you'll be paying 10.25 for 3d
  • Options
    Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! I thought it was a fault.

At the weekend I watched my Sky+ recordings of Grays on Living.

Firstly the one from 2 weeks ago broadcast by LIVING followed by this weeks broadcast on Sky Living. It was like night and day. At one point I thought my box was playing up, or had a lose connection on the wire into my TV.

The LIVING ep was like watching HD compared to the Sky living Ep.

I won't pay sky the HD subs as I actually watch very few progs off their channels I mostly watch from the free to air HD channels.

This practice WILL NOT make me subscribe sky, if your reading this!
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Firstly the one from 2 weeks ago broadcast by LIVING followed by this weeks broadcast on Sky Living. It was like night and day. At one point I thought my box was playing up, or had a lose connection on the wire into my TV.

I won't pay sky the HD subs as I actually watch very few progs off their channels I mostly watch from the free to air HD channels.

This practice could also result in lost subscribers completely if they don't watch it. Seeing channels like Channel 4 still looking excellent in SD is enough to prove that SD should not look as bad as it does with the likes of Sky 1 etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly how I remember it too!

To think Sky brought down the picture quality on LIVING, LIVINGit, LIVING Loves and Challenge from such a high standard to mush like Sky1 is unforgivable. These channels were right up there amongst the best for SD quality on satellite before they came under the Sky brand; now they look crap - horribly soft and fuzzy thanks to Sky. I remember American dramas on LIVING used to look sharp and almost DVD-like before.
    This practice could also result in lost subscribers completely if they don't watch it. Seeing channels like Channel 4 still looking excellent in SD is enough to prove that SD should not look as bad as it does with the likes of Sky 1 etc.

I completely agree.

Sooner or later more and more people are going to realise this. It doesn't take much to notice that the pictures on Sky1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, etc...are not what they should be. It's completely unacceptable for such a big broadcaster as Sky to continue to output their SD channels at this sub-standard level, especially when we're paying for them.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

The SD PQ on Sky Living is atrocious as of 1 February on VM, and on Challenge too.

It's like looking at the TV with dirty glasses on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    OP you spell it "P r o g r a m m e" not "P i c t u r e"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    The SD PQ on Sky Living is atrocious as of 1 February on VM, and on Challenge too.

It's like looking at the TV with dirty glasses on!

Yes, and Virgin Media customers have got Sky to thank for that, since it's the same feed from satellite as what Sky customers are seeing. Sky took the ex-Virgin Media TV channels LIVING and Challenge off air for two hours during the early hours of 1st Feb; upon return, it was immediately obvious that the picture quality had dropped dramatically. Sky should of just let Red Bee continue to play out these channels; they clearly did a 'far' superior job. LIVING's picture until the rebrand to Sky Living made Sky1's picture look a joke in comparison.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Has anyone actually complained to Sky about this? What did they have to say for themselves?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say it's got any worse than it already was. The picture on Sky1 SD and all the other Sky branded SD channels has been horrendous for a long time. Take a look at the new channel 'Sky Atlantic' - it's just as bad. To make matters worse, Sky 'massively' decreased the picture quality on the Living channels and Challenge last week when Living was rebranded to Sky Living. I have absolutely no doubts now that it's a deliberate attempt by Sky to make the HD varients of their channels look vastly superior.

More info...

Sky reduces pictures on Living channels to 544 x 576

is sky sd better quality on virgin media?

If you don't have HD you would probably get a better picture quality from the US 350mb downloads than from the sky channels :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone them up to cancel and say terrible SD PQ is to blame, someone will take note and youll probably get 3 months free or 6 months at half price.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since Sky Atlantic/HD launched and the rebrand of Sky Living/HD/Sky Living Loves there has been a massive decrease in the picture quality on Sky1 SD do these channels now share the same transponder ?

It's like when SkyDigital first came in. I noticed the picture on analogue Sky going down the pan, too.
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Phone them up to cancel and say terrible SD PQ is to blame, someone will take note and youll probably get 3 months free or 6 months at half price.

I unsubscribed from the single pack I had (£19/month??) a few months back. They kept saying they had to speak to me over the phone to sort it out, rather than by email, and I knew why - it was so they could sell me more crap at a reduced price. I said no. She said I'd never get that offer again. I said that was fine.

A couple of weeks ago, an offer came through the post... and into the bin.
  • Options
    mrdeejaymrdeejay Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are trying to say it's not the case,

I emailed them yesterday regarding this as I am unhappy.

Thier responce is

Dear ***********************,

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

Sky has not reduced the quality of standard definition channels. Every standard definition channel you receive within your package should be exactly the same quality.

To rectify these problems, please follow the procedure below:

Please note this process will stop all the recordings currently in progress and reboot your box, therefore you may want to do this after a recording has been completed.

Press services and highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button and press select.
    Press 0, 1 and select.
    Highlight Sky+ Rebuild and press select.

When this warning message appears "this will take a few minutes to complete and will stop all recordings and reboot your Sky+", either press select to continue or press backup to cancel.

The on screen message, 'Housekeeping please wait' will appear and take up to 2 minutes to clear.

Once complete the set top box will switch itself off and then back on automatically and wait in standby mode. Wait for 2 minutes and 30 seconds after the red light has appeared before attempting to switch back on your box.

If after following this procedure you are still experiencing problems, you may need to contact our technical team direct for further assistance or alternatively respond to this email.

I even called uo and they got me to do a reboot of box.

Quality is still the same.

They don't have a clue about this or they do and trying to make us look silly.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wonder if it was an automated response?
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly a lie as we know that the "Sky Living" group of channels have reduced resolution from 720 x 576 to 544 x 576.
    Perhaps there should be a new Low Definition label for them, and a Medium Definition label for the lower resolution "Hi Def" channels.
    So we have Sky 1 HD, BBC1 MD, BBC2 SD, Sky Living LD etc.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Sky: Believe in Better. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I thought it was my TV that was the problem Sky Living does looks bricky Old Living Channel never used to be as blocky :eek:
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what about the "premium" movies package which has looked awful for the last few months? Even my Dad who can see the difference on Blu-Ray and notices how poor the movie channels look when they descend into Lego vision. Sky 1 and the basic channels may be fair game, though at the price Sky charge I don't see why the SD service should be anything less than 720 x 576 (704 x 576) Even TCM and horror look better!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrdeejay wrote: »
    They are trying to say it's not the case,

I emailed them yesterday regarding this as I am unhappy.

Thier responce is

Dear ***********************,

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

Sky has not reduced the quality of standard definition channels. Every standard definition channel you receive within your package should be exactly the same quality.

To rectify these problems, please follow the procedure below...

...I even called uo and they got me to do a reboot of box.

Quality is still the same.

They don't have a clue about this or they do and trying to make us look silly.

That's utter lies; the whole e-mail is a load of rubbish. We know for a fact that on the 1st February when LIVING changed to Sky Living, Sky reduced the resolutions on all of the Living channels and Challenge, down from 704/720 x 576 to 544 x 576. Fact!

With the exception of Sky News and Sports News (don't know about the Movies and Sports as I don't have them), all the Sky branded SD channels... Sky1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic to name a few, look very soft and hazy with no definition to the pictures whatsoever, they're awful to watch. SD shouldn’t look this bad. :eek: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its bullcrap that Sky are saying they havent reduced the quality of standard definition channels they most certainly have Sky One was never this bad a few years ago .

Watching the 15th Season of the Simpsons on Sky1 here and it looks really poor even Channel 4 doesnt look this bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A company deliberately crippling a less flashy version of another of it's products?!

Never seen that before! :rolleyes:

ETA: Not that I approve of such practice.
  • Options
    Mockney-RebelMockney-Rebel Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Sky: Believe in Better. :p

Not if it's in 'SD'!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the picture quality of Sky Sports in SD compared to *ordinary* entertainment channels in SD as mentioned above?
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Conspiracy hat on]
    They might be deliberately making their SD channels look poor to make the HD channels look better in comparison.
    [Conspiracy hat off]
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    544x576 @ average at best bit rates = "hmm I should upgrade to HD"