The Polar Bear Family & Me - BBC2 9:30pm

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
Forum Member
Anyone else watching this? I watched Gordon's other programme 'The Bear Family & Me' and this looks equally enchanting. :)

Comments

• ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, I posted this question earlier but got no response so figured I was the only one who would be watching.
    I loved The Bear Family And Me and I think Gordon Buchanan is a brilliant cameraman/presenter but from what I have read this series looks like it will be a bit sad...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Absolutely, I posted this question earlier but got no response so figured I was the only one who would be watching.
    I loved The Bear Family And Me and I think Gordon Buchanan is a brilliant cameraman/presenter but from what I have read this series looks like it will be a bit sad...

Ah sorry, I couldn't find any thread for it. :o
    I agree, The Bear Family & Me was fantastic but I was sad to hear that Hope, the little cub Gordon was following, was eventually killed by a hunter. :(
    I was hoping this series wouldn't have such a sad ending.
  • reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sacha88 wrote: »
    I agree, The Bear Family & Me was fantastic but I was sad to hear that Hope, the little cub Gordon was following, was eventually killed by a hunter. :(

Oh no I didn't know Hope had died!
    I loved the Bear series so looking forward to the Polar Bear series.
    Forum Member

Oh dear, I did not know that. Wonder what happened to Lily. Bears are the most beautiful creatures, particularly polar bears. I do not know how people can hunt them.
  • bobgeorge7912bobgeorge7912 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    holy moly how I wish that was me. look at those paws.
    Forum Member
    that was a beautifull but terrifying moment. WOWSA
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    holy moly how I wish that was me. look at those paws.

Look at those jaws!
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily's got her own page on Facebook and she's doing well.
    Forum Member
    Oh my god...he's gonna get a cuddle. well gel. (o dear did I just say that, yes u did. who r u talking to? ...erm....the muppets in my head.) nope false alarm for now.
    Forum Member
    Lily's got her own page on Facebook and she's doing well.

My goodness, I had no idea Lily had her own Facebook page, I will go and have a look.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, those baby bear boys are so cute. At the moment.

You wouldn't have got me in that ice-cube for all the chocolate in Thorntons. Great stuff.
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the second epsiode is tomorrow and the final one on Thursday for all you bear lovers!!..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I was so scared for Gordon when he was in the perspex box, I would've been screaming my head off. :eek: :o
    Can't wait for the next two parts, I always thoroughly enjoy these types of programmes.
    For anyone who wants to see what Lily is up to, just search for 'Lily the black bear' on Facebook and you'll find lots of updates on her page. :)
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme, look forward to the other two.

Anyone else get the Philip Pullman his dark materials connection with Lyra in Svalbard?

Maybe Micky and Luca's dad is Iorek Byrnison. :)
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Loved it, tho was thinking "Silly fecker" when he was in that perspex box!!!
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it disgusting the distress that was caused to the pups when they darted their mother, not to mention the wounds inflicted on all of them.
    Forum Member
    bgtension wrote: »
    I find it disgusting the distress that was caused to the pups when they darted their mother, not to mention the wounds inflicted on all of them.

I too am a great animal lover but I don't agree that being darted caused them great suffering. Please read below quotes to see why some of these animals need to be tracked to see how far they have to travel to find food.. It's a known fact that the ice is melting and it is becoming more and more difficult for these beautiful animals to survive.
    Quote...
    The USGS Alaska Science Center uses the latest technology in satellite radio-tracking to fill key information gaps on how polar bears use both the sea ice and land. Adult female polar bears are captured, fitted with satellite telemetry collars, and followed throughout their annual range. In collaboration with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service we are also experimenting with glue-on and ear tag satellite transmitters, which can be deployed on adult male bears and younger, still-growing bears.

The USGS led an intensive effort to project future status of polar bears, coupling empirical data with information on future Arctic sea ice from IPCC 4th Assessment (AR4) models. This research projected major declines by mid-century in polar bear distribution and abundance. This finding became an important consideration in the decision to list polar bears, in 2008, as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act...unquote
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't have liked to be in the cube, with a 7 foot she polar bear trying to get in it, a male is probably 9 foot tall.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Wouldn't have liked to be in the cube, with a 7 foot she polar bear trying to get in it, a male is probably 9 foot tall.
    I was so scared for Gordon when he was in the perspex box, I would've been screaming my head off. :eek: :o
    Can't wait for the next two parts, I always thoroughly enjoy these types of programmes.
    For anyone who wants to see what Lily is up to, just search for 'Lily the black bear' on Facebook and you'll find lots of updates on her page. :)
    I watched last night and felt scared at the bear pawing the perspex box. I'm watching now
    and hope all will be well for the cute cubs!!! i can see one cub, but where is the other? :cry:
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught this because I liked the BBC2 program before it :)
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There's not much that's cuter than a polar bear cub.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it last night but I'm worried that the mother is going to starve or loose one of the cubs. Could somebody please tell me what happens so I can decide if I can watch it. Those little cubs poking their heads out of the den were so beautiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly only Micky is alive and they don't know what happened to the smaller Luca... :cry: Micky is moving around with Lyra his mummy, looking for food but there isn't much for them but we saw her eating some dead walrus. Lyra is a good mummy to Micky but she needs to find some live food to be able to keep producing milk for Micky.

Gordon has come across another adult, Ava, with her two babies. Right now he's watching Lyra and Micky swimming through the water, looking for food.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    loving the program so far, they are magnificant creatures, very interesting watch. im sure i watched something very similar to this last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so sad that there is hardly any food for these beautiful creatures... and that male bear they have just seen looks massive!!! But where are Lyra and Micky? :cry: