Options

Brendan Brady (Emmett J. Scanlan) Fan Thread! (Part 143)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45,402
    Forum Member
    You know, Maya, I was thinking the exact same thing. Cheryl not getting Ste's call isn't a major point but it does make me think, as well as the lack of Ste being mentioned, that Ste wasn't supposed to be involved in any of it. And that tonight when he gets the phone call, he was never meant to get the phone call. :o

ETA: Oh that's a good idea, Sarah. Or he might hear the phone call. Maybe he's even the one to make the phone call, for all we know. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylila wrote: »
    Morning all. Have been catching up on all your discussion from last night and it makes for very interesting reading.

And lovely to see you, Mrs Levinson. We haven't been around at the same time for ages!

Hey Lila, long time no see.

I am re watching on catch up before work. Why I'm putting myself through the trauma I have no idea!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doug will probably tell him :rolleyes:

Eurgh.

Seriously how will he find out?! When Ste is clinging to him at the hospital? (Prays for this!)
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    x-Maya-x wrote: »
    Here's a question, do you think Cheryl not receiving Ste's phonecall in Later indicates that there was never intended to be this crossover of sorts with Ste concerned for Brendan in the main show? I'm not saying it does, but I'm judging based on when Later would have been conceived and the detachment from that relationship in Later as a whole. And I can't help but question the material we've seen on the main show this week. Doug's behaviour seems so bizarrely OTT for what actually happened onscreen, that I wonder when that was constructed. I'm just thinking out loud really.

Oh yeah I don't think there was a crossover intended because certainly that's different to what they would have had planned for Ste and Brendan direction when Later was planned and written. I can't imagine it anyway, I assume he was still supposed to be the landlord from hell etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd kill for that.

*gets out saw and wraps self in plastic* :cool:

We got such a tiny bit of it when they sat outside that police station. But there's so much more. I hope the show sees the potential in going there. Not just talking about why Brendan abused Ste, but where it all came from, and Ste's life as well. They were made for it, these two characters.

I agree with this. This must happen.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Hello. I just wanted to pop on to say I'm still around, and reading all the discussion, but my opinion's pretty irrelevant right now as I haven't watched the episode yet.

Steel yourself Maya. I hardly breathed in the last scene, but it is really really dramatic. And Emmett and Neil will get you through it, because they're brilliant. Dying to know what you think, to continue the morbid metaphors. But if you're anything like me, you might need 12 hours to gather your thoughts. :o

I'm not sure about crossover with the main show, because got to admit, I've been giving it a miss. :o I've reached my Doug threshold. :p
  • Options
    misssdorianmisssdorian Posts: 12,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning:)

How are you all feeling now..:o

I haven't read back...I'll have a little look in a minute I just need to get a few things of my chest..If that's ok:o

I didn't really know what to say last night cos I was fine about everything that happened..and I have to admit I was more shocked by what I saw on Twitter after the episode then I was about the ep...People were just freaking out and I didn't know what to say or do...so I went to bed..:o

Seeing everyone on your timeline screaming OMG it was rape!!... when I knew it f*cking wasn't...really upset me...:o

Walker made Brendan believe he wanted it...Brendan had no idea Walker was hating it...and there's nothing wrong with a bit of ruff sex, it isn't always soft and gentle and why would people always want it to be;)

I just find it hard to understand why everyone was fine with the fact that Brendan killed Danny when its very likely that mans brain would have been all over the floor once Brendan had finished with him but seeing Brendan cut up a body was the end of the road for a lot of people...I hope I'm explaining myself properly:o ...is it cos we actually saw Brendan do it or cos he was calm about it (cos to me he was on auto pilot mode) It doesn't mean that afterwards he won't struggle with it...Oh I don't know..I think because he was doing it for Joel made it easier for me to deal with...He wasn't enjoying it he was just sorting out Joel's mess...:o

I hate to see people upset...hmmm apart from the mayhem that followed I personally loved last night episode...Brendan still has a long way to go....some serious shit needs to be sorted in that mans head....Can't wait for tonight:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't the actual chopping up I can't handle it's how dark the whole thing was. Perhaps I'm just safer in the 6.30 world!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oo, Emmett's tweet! The truth is going to set us free, apparently. Or Brendan free, probably. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You know Doug hasn't been that bad, c&s. Ste has been lovely to see.

Last night, I really wanted to kill him though. They made Ste apologise and I can't even tell you how much that annoyed me. More than Brendan chopping people up, so my sanity is clearly in perfect condition. ;)

ETA: The truth is setting people free.

Hmmmmm. :cool:
  • Options
    AnotherSarahAnotherSarah Posts: 41,906
    Forum Member
    tezzabobs wrote: »
    You know, Maya, I was thinking the exact same thing. Cheryl not getting Ste's call isn't a major point but it does make me think, as well as the lack of Ste being mentioned, that Ste wasn't supposed to be involved in any of it. And that tonight when he gets the phone call, he was never meant to get the phone call. :o
    I wondered that, too. I'm convinced that Later Brendan was meant to mesh with evil landlord type Brendan when it was storylined. I'm not sure of the timings of the relative shoots, but I hope that although they were obviously wedded to the idea of the Dexter stuff, they might have been able to take the newer direction into account for the beach house resolution. It'll be interesting to see whether Ste's name comes up tonight when Brendan and Nana are talking.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. I just wanted to pop on to say I'm still around, and reading all the discussion, but my opinion's pretty irrelevant right now as I haven't watched the episode yet.

Reading the brutality of the sex scene and Walker's distress disturbed me late last night, so I'm still trying to brace myself and hit the play button. I wish I'd just gone into the unknown and watched it live. How do I now prepare myself for watching something I desperately don't want to see? So I'm working through that right now.

Here's a question, do you think Cheryl not receiving Ste's phonecall in Later indicates that there was never intended to be this crossover of sorts with Ste concerned for Brendan in the main show? I'm not saying it does, but I'm judging based on when Later would have been conceived and the detachment from that relationship in Later as a whole. And I can't help but question the material we've seen on the main show this week. Doug's behaviour seems so bizarrely OTT for what actually happened onscreen, that I wonder when that was constructed. I'm just thinking out loud really.

Hey Maya. That's a toughie. At least you know what's coming though. Part of my shakiness-inducing reaction was shock. At least if you know it's coming you won't have the shock as well as the disturbingness. (not a word I know, but it does the job)

Be prepared though - it took me a long time afterwards just to absorb it. It's kind of confusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo, Emmett's tweet! The truth is going to set us free, apparently. Or Brendan free, probably. :o

Lets hope it explains that episode of trauma!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or you might be like me, Maya, and not really care. :o;)
    I wondered that, too. I'm convinced that Later Brendan was meant to mesh with evil landlord type Brendan when it was storylined. I'm not sure of the timings of the relative shoots, but I hope that although they were obviously wedded to the idea of the Dexter stuff, they might have been able to take the newer direction into account for the beach house resolution. It'll be interesting to see whether Ste's name comes up tonight when Brendan and Nana are talking.

God I hope so. I've been dying to hear Ste's name throughout this entire thing, from just somebody. But it's all been Batman and Robin, and DARKNESS. Cos it's proper dark. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I need some cheering up now. Anyone got anything, anything at all?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    laura_lou wrote: »
    Ok I need some cheering up now. Anyone got anything, anything at all?!

*tumbleweed*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning:)

How are you all feeling now..:o

Yo missd. I'm OK with it. I never saw the dismemberment as worse than Danny. Killing someone is always the line you cross. The dismemberment was more gross, and also brutal, because it showed Brendan desensitizing himself, so that was a tough watch.

I never saw any of the rape hysteria, because I just don't follow that many people. I think it's nuts, but the scene did disturb me for other reasons, because it was such a desperate act on both sides, and yeah, rough and violent too. And Walker was so traumatized afterwards.

But yeah, I am still here, still loving Brendan, and still up for it. See what tonight brings. Better be good!
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I just find it hard to understand why everyone was fine with the fact that Brendan killed Danny when its very likely that mans brain would have been all over the floor once Brendan had finished with him but seeing Brendan cut up a body was the end of the road for a lot of people...I hope I'm explaining myself properly:o ...is it cos we actually saw Brendan do it or cos he was calm about it (cos to me he was on auto pilot mode) It doesn't mean that afterwards he won't struggle with it...Oh I don't know..I think because he was doing it for Joel made it easier for me to deal with...He wasn't enjoying it he was just sorting out Joel's mess...:o

I don't know missd I guess it's just a personal thing. Like me hating the mad dancing because I thought it was too much. I suppose we all bring our own things to the table in loving the character and have read him in different ways. I have always been inclined to think that there was a core of goodness and humanity in him and I just found the body chopping a bit too gratuitous if I'm totally honest. It's a whole different level of grim to me, the detachment that's involved because it'd be such a slow process, you'd have to cut off from the real world. It just made him feel very inhuman to me, even if he did it to save Joel. Although the scene after Cheryl saw and his meltdown in the hotel was really good. It hasn't ruined Brendan for me or made me like him any less.

ETA: It's very hard to explain...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tezzabobs wrote: »
    You know Doug hasn't been that bad, c&s. Ste has been lovely to see.

I'll take your word for it. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the rape hysteria. At all.

It's gonna be worse for Brendan when he realizes the lengths Walker went to. There was no hearts and flowers. It was a means to an end. Nothing like Stendan.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure it'll be worse for Brendan when he finds out Walker is an undercover cop, I think it'll be the same as it always would have been. The person he had betrayed him, that's about it, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    I don't know missd I guess it's just a personal thing. Like me hating the mad dancing because I thought it was too much. I suppose we all bring our own things to the table in loving the character and have read him in different ways. I have always been inclined to think that there was a core of goodness and humanity in him and I just found the body chopping a bit too gratuitous if I'm totally honest. It's a whole different level of grim to me, the detachment that's involved because it'd be such a slow process, you'd have to cut off from the real world. It just made him feel very inhuman to me, even if he did it to save Joel. Although the scene after Cheryl saw and his meltdown in the hotel was really good. It hasn't ruined Brendan for me or made me like him any less.
    BIB I think from the moment he saw Cheryl looking at him, he saw himself through her eyes and the detachment went and the reality kicked in. Then he must have pulled himself together after going mad with the axe, because I imagine he finished the job - I don't think we'll hear any more about the rest of Mick being found. So it was back onto autopilot, and he was almost catatonic before Walker came back to his room in Pontins, but then flipped again.

I can't remember what point I was trying to make, if any.:o

#UnconditionalLove anyway. I still adore him.
  • Options
    MissCelticMissCeltic Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted.

The point is Walker did not say no

So it wasn't rape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steel yourself Maya. I hardly breathed in the last scene, but it is really really dramatic. And Emmett and Neil will get you through it, because they're brilliant. Dying to know what you think, to continue the morbid metaphors. But if you're anything like me, you might need 12 hours to gather your thoughts. :o

I'm not sure about crossover with the main show, because got to admit, I've been giving it a miss. :o I've reached my Doug threshold. :p

I know what you mean. It's because of Emmett especially that I want to watch it, really. Otherwise I think I'd be quite happy to not have the visuals.

BIB: I suspect so too. That's why I was curious as to whether other people suspected that the Ste stuff this week was an afterthought, and never intended. But I can see many of us are thinking along the same lines.

As jarring as it's been at times to the main show, I think I'd rather that than what was initially planned. Because without the way they've re-established the connection between Brendan and Ste recently, I'd have lost the will to continue.
This discussion has been closed.