Options

All Aboard: The Sleigh Ride 8pm BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a totally relaxing antidote to all the Christmas hustle and bustle this 2 hours on BBC4 was.

Actually quite inspired and simple TV.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, went to sleep straight after.

Again though, same complaint I had about the canal ride the writing and information given (which is really informative) needs to be bigger on the screen, we havent all go 50" screens
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    There was a short film on BBC4 the other day showing side-by-side the rail journey between London and Brighton in the 50s and 80s.

Wasnt it the one in the 1980s which was the slower one? :) obviously:p
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Surprised how much I enjoyed this, only meant to watch a few minutes but it becomes strangely hypnotic.

I really enjoyed it too. Having said that, I watch the Landscape Channel a fair bit, and I am convinced that it has trained me to take TV a little more leisurely :)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I loved it, went to sleep straight after.

Again though, same complaint I had about the canal ride the writing and information given (which is really informative) needs to be bigger on the screen, we havent all go 50" screens

Agree about the info-legends, also they didn't stay on screen long enough at times.

I propose a camel trek in the desert next.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Surprised how much I enjoyed this, only meant to watch a few minutes but it becomes strangely hypnotic.

That's what happened with me. This programme sounds crazy when you tell people about it but you end up getting involved; I think it's just 'cause we want to see where they're going and what happens plus the scenery is so peaceful and different to what we're used to here in Britain.

It says this follows the path of an ancient postal route. Wouldn't surprise me if these women were delivering things from village to village as there's obviously no roads up there. Also I think they're wearing a uniform - they're dressed exactly the same compared to the people they meet in the snow. It's so cute how they talk to the people they meet and one guy gave them flaming torches as it was getting dark.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the repeat tonight, I was going to just watch the first half live but ended watching the whole programme live.

Must have a look around to see if anything about how it was filmed, it was hard to work out where the cameras were - you certainly get to see a lot of a reindeer bum!

There is a picture of one of the girl's on the iPlayer page, very pretty girl.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After two hours of trekking with reindeer along the ancient postal route, the guy gets a "Sorry we called, you were out!" card, and he has to go all the way back to collect it from the sorting office.

Seriously, after two hours of silence, we got... the end credits interrupted by a continuity announcer!!! WTF?!!!!?!??!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Did they do that during the earlier 'Slow season'? FFS!! (wish I could swear on here as I really need to!!)

(cheers to koantemplation for pointing me in the direction of this thread. It had dropped off the main page and I was surprised no-one had commented while it was on!)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a programme about the Sami after the repeat on BBC4 tonight, worth watching off iPlayer.

NATURE: Natural World
    On: BBC 4 (Freeview)
    Date: Saturday 26th December 2015 (1 minute left)
    Time: 21:00 to 21:50 (50 minutes long)

Reindeer Girls.
    Wildlife film. Elle and Inga, 17-year-old cousins from the north of Norway, are far from ordinary teenagers. They are reindeer herders from one of Europe's last indigenous people, the Sami. So they are equally at home helping reindeer swim fjords or ice fishing as playing with the internet and mobile phones. We follow the girls and their families as they accompany the reindeer herds on the annual migration across the arctic tundra, gaining a unique insight into the lives of the girls and the reindeer on which they depend in this bleak and beautiful world.
    (Stereo, Repeat, Series 28, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described, Episode 13, 5 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was cruel, particularly for the second reindeer whose neck was yanked quite violently by the rope every time they pulled off. He was clearly in discomfort by the way he was constantly shaking his head trying to free himself..

Putting the rose tinted specs to one side, let's also remember these animals are not pets, but are killed on an industrial scale for their meat and fur, and if you wanr to know about the barbaric way they are slaughtered I'll let you research it for yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I thought it was cruel, particularly for the second reindeer whose neck was yanked quite violently by the rope every time they pulled off. He was clearly in discomfort by the way he was constantly shaking his head trying to free himself..

Putting the rose tinted specs to one side, let's also remember these animals are not pets, but are killed on an industrial scale for their meat and fur, and if you wanr to know about the barbaric way they are slaughtered I'll let you research it for yourself.

The alternative is that instead of 18 years in captivity, they only live to 10 years in the wild at best, according to one of the facts onscreen.

And if the roles were reversed, they'd do the same to us.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saint paul wrote: »
    Yes I seem to remember in the early 80's whenever a programme broke down or the BBC had a few minutes to kill before the next show the train journey video was put on.

u might mean the 1960s Interlude film, which was a model railway, accompanied by tune ''wheels'', and ends with a derailment .........
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this ''slow tv'' a daft waste of broadcast infrastructure. For those who like such stuff, all london bus routes are on youtube .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    The alternative is that instead of 18 years in captivity, they only live to 10 years in the wild at best, according to one of the facts onscreen.

And if the roles were reversed, they'd do the same to us.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you the information they chose to show was highly selective and glossed over or completely ignored the less savoury aspects of these animals' lives and treatment at the hands of the herders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »

Oh give me a break; the Sami have lived with reindeer for absolutely years. You can tell how much they're a part of these people's lives by how many words they've got for various types of reindeer! I think they understand how far to push them - it was the same as folk from years gone by in Britain who used to use horses with carriages etc. I didn't see any cruelty when they stopped to give the reindeer a break, a munch on the lichen/moss and a pat on the back - they understand each other well. There's always someone on any thread about nature claiming cruelty unnecessarily and hysterically - just wanting to cause trouble and arguments for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I find this ''slow tv'' a daft waste of broadcast infrastructure. For those who like such stuff, all london bus routes are on youtube .....

It wasn't 'daft'; it was interesting to see a show presented with such a different pace to normal. It was perfect Christmas Eve viewing to see something so novel and out of the ordinary for British people - like real life Father Christmases going from village to village delivering things in a snowy, silent landscape. Why would we want to watch buses going around London FFS? Not quite the same thing is it when we see buses and our own town surroundings every day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh give me a break; the Sami have lived with reindeer for absolutely years. You can tell how much they're a part of these people's lives by how many words they've got for various types of reindeer! I think they understand how far to push them - it was the same as folk from years gone by in Britain who used to use horses with carriages etc. I didn't see any cruelty when they stopped to give the reindeer a break, a munch on the lichen/moss and a pat on the back - they understand each other well. There's always someone on any thread about nature claiming cruelty unnecessarily and hysterically - just wanting to cause trouble and arguments for the sake of it.

Who's denying they're part of the herders' lives? Totally irrelevant.. As for not seeing any cruelty when they were given moss etc, my point entirely. The programme maker went to great lengths to try to ensure this beforehand by staging such things- if you'd seen his interview on BBC Breakfast a week or so ago you'd have realised just how stage managed and Christmas audience friendly the whole event was, even to the extent of having teenage girls leading the ride as opposed to some grizzled elder. If you think this is typical of how reindeer are treated in this part of the World then you are deluding yourself.
  • Options
    BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    One of the best things I've seen this Christmas so far.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »

E4 viewer?
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    dermott100 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it too. Having said that, I watch the Landscape Channel a fair bit, and I am convinced that it has trained me to take TV a little more leisurely :)

How I wish the Landscape Channel was still available to me. Where is it please?
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Couldn't resist posting; just read in those fluffy written clouds:

"The Sami have over a thousand words for different kinds of reindeer."

And then:
    "BAGGI: a small, fat reindeer with a large belly".

Very useful term in non reindeer-related contexts, too, I thought.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    There was a short film on BBC4 the other day showing side-by-side the rail journey between London and Brighton in the 50s and 80s.

Was that the speeded up version , London to Brighton in 2 minutes.?
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped to remind everyone it's being repeated at 7 tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'll talk over the end credits as they did at the end last time, and also with the bus tour.

I complained about that but they just babbled the usual excuse about having to inform viewers of upcoming programmes, blah blah, blah... my complaint being they should make the exception* with these, because the whole point of them is that they're two hours of near-silence!!! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

(*which they do occasionally, depending on content)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also repeated "Reindeer Girls" again, (made in 2007) a couple of weeks back. Worth watching, still on i>Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009w13s