BT Sport Shambles (Showcase) - BT shafts Sky/Virgin viewers

jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

As we already knew, BT Sport Showcase is only available on Freeview, so viewers who watch TV via Sky/Virgin who don't have an aerial (and therefore don't have Freeview) will be unable to receive the channel.

So it would be reasonable to expect that BT would unencrypt their BT Sport Europe channel during the free matches so that those viewers can access them. However, BT have confirmed today that this will NOT happen, so those viewers will be left with no free Champions League football. It's all rather petty and typical of BT.

Comments

• 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is on Virgin Media channel 548 so it may still come to Sky.
    Where has BT said it will never come to VM or Sky?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    It is on Virgin Media channel 548 so it may still come to Sky. Where has BT said it will never come to VM or Sky?

There is a match tonight. BT Sport Showcase isn't on Sky. As far as I'm aware it's Freeview only as BT have stated themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: BT Sport Europe will be unencrypted on Virgin but NOT on Sky:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-watch-manchester-united-v-9930918

So BT just punishing Sky subscribers.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously thinking that when my BT Broadband contract ends switching to Sky Broadband and just sticking to Sky TV and forget all about BT and their sports channels.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    UPDATE: BT Sport Europe will be unencrypted on Virgin but NOT on Sky:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-watch-manchester-united-v-9930918

So BT just punishing Sky subscribers.

....and Freeview viewers who aren't on a main transmitter and Freesat.

I hope EUFA and its sponsors are aware that many aren't getting the FTA matches, including the final, which I read are part of the exclusive deal.
  • fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    So bt put a channel on freeview which ever tv has had built in since 2010 so it's a shambles that it's not on sky!!!
    If people really want to watch it they'd would have got a aerial by now how long ago was it announced that bt won CL and EL and they would be shown on bt sport on freeview
  • singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible for UEFA to intervene and demand them to be FTA? I suspect no as French have it all pay TV.
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatboy75 wrote: »
    So bt put a channel on freeview which ever tv has had built in since 2010 so it's a shambles that it's not on sky!!!
    If people really want to watch it they'd would have got a aerial by now how long ago was it announced that bt won CL and EL and they would be shown on bt sport on freeview

I don't get the point that you are making. BT Showcase is only available from main transmitters so even having Freeview in some areas will not get you the channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatboy75 wrote: »

It's a reasonable assumption that either the channel will be available OR BT Sport Europe will be unencrypted.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,943
    Forum Member
    It's available on Radio 5 Live.

Is this just an example of the problem of subscription TV ?

Sky plonks its top TV progs on Atlantic which isn't available to BT subscribers.

Don't subscribers to Sky own TV's with Freeview?

I don't see how it can be regarded as a shambles.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    It's available on Radio 5 Live.

Is this just an example of the problem of subscription TV ?

Sky plonks its top TV progs on Atlantic which isn't available to BT subscribers.

Don't subscribers to Sky own TV's with Freeview?

I don't see how it can be regarded as a shambles.

My TV is very capable of recieveing Freeview however, as has been pointed out more than once, unless you are receiving Freeview from a main transmitter and not a smaller relay, then you will be unable to receive this channel.
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about freesat from sky
    http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    What about freesat from sky
    http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

It's not on Freesat.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    BT doing the absolute minimum? Blimey, who would've thunk it...

Meanwhile, the Pope is still Catholic and the sun rises in the east.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people complaining on Twitter. Hopefully BT see sense before the CL proper begins.
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTS Free on Virgin is just a simulcast of BT Sport Europe SD (same DOG on screen).

Hope BT put a channel on Freesat (no sign so far). Quite surprised that they haven't decrypted the SD channel at least for Sky customers.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title of this thread needs changing. Virgin are showing the match tonight on 548 so in no way is BT shafting Virgin customers. Is it possible for the Sky fanboys to learn how to check their facts? ;-)

(If you MUST do business with Sky, don't expect much sympathy....)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't be beyond any Sky subscribers' wit to put an indoor aerial in the back of a telly for a couple of hours.

The issue of whether or not commercial mux operators should be forced to invest in improving transmitter coverage is another matter.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't be beyond any Sky subscribers' wit to put an indoor aerial in the back of a telly for a couple of hours.

I do wonder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rmc57 wrote: »
    The title of this thread needs changing. Virgin are showing the match tonight on 548 so in no way is BT shafting Virgin customers. Is it possible for the Sky fanboys to learn how to check their facts? ;-)

I did post an update about Virgin.
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone has good enough reception on an indoor aerial, surprised they didn't demand it's FTA on all major platforms.

Luckily I can get it through Chromecast but it was regularly buffering on last nights game so I don't hold out much hope for a flawless experience tonight.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't be beyond any Sky subscribers' wit to put an indoor aerial in the back of a telly for a couple of hours
    Or watch it down their local for the price of a pint.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem.... A broadcaster wants to put his channel on the platform which has the most TV sets in the UK by a factor of about 4+ than the next platform.... And 93% population coverage and is FTA .

Why should a commercial broadcaster have to make the signal available to everyone and on every platform ....

If you do not have the FTA ability you can buy the service ... ,!!!
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sky customer I don't see the big deal - 95% of the population have access to freeview. I don't see why BT should invest in a separate channel on Sky just to please that 1% of the population that have Sky and don't have freeview for a channel that will actually give people less reason to subscribe properly.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    rmc57 wrote: »

Can you please ask VM to lay their cable network where I live then? Or BT to give the area faster fibre? Or the broadcasters/Arqiva to give us full Freeview?