Options

The Sinking of the Titan

fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
Forum Member
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

I was watching Titanic the other night and came across this monumental coincidence of a book which was written 12 years before Titanic sunk. Am I missing something here?

Both were triple screw (propeller)

Described as "unsinkable"

Contrary to Urban Legend, the Titanic was never actually qualified as "unsinkable" before she sank.[5]

The Titan was the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men (800 feet, displacing 75,000 tons, up from 45,000 in the 1898 edition), and was deemed "practically unsinkable" (as quoted in Robertson's book).

Shortage of lifeboats

The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats, plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats,[6] less than half the number required for her passenger and crew capacity of 3000.
The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, which could carry less than half of her total complement of 3000.

Struck an iceberg

Moving at 22½ knots,[7] the Titanic struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) away from Newfoundland.
Moving at 25 knots, The Titan also struck an iceberg on the starboard side on an April night in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) from Newfoundland (Terranova).

Sinking
The Titanic sank, and more than half of her 2200 passengers and crew died.
The Titan also sank, and more than half of her 2500 passengers drowned.

Comments

• Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I've heard of this before, one of lifes incredibly strange coincidences.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Probably the most remarkable coincidence is that they both sunk in the same place in an ocean covering millions of nautical miles. This seems too outlandish to be coincidence, but what else could it be?