Options

''BBC May Replace News Channel with Mobile Streaming''

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hints at the Edinburgh TV Festival that the BBC News channel may be closed as part of the proposed cuts and replaced with news being streamed to mobiles.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/26/bbc-considers-replacing-news-24-with-mobile-streaming-service

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it is in 10 years time, not much use to those without smartphones, those without a reasonable signal, those on restricted data packages, and those who simply want to watch on a TV screen.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the "establishment" of TV have not realised; the technology is not the attraction when it comes to the internet.

The internet is actually annoying and often expensive. It's the specific services that are on the internet that is the attraction.

Moving a social irrelevancy online will not make it relevant, it'll still be ignored.
  • Options
    PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC would need to sort out it mobile offerings first before considering this move.

Using flash for video content on mobiles devices is very out dated now but the BBC seems to have not moved with the times.
  • Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Hints at the Edinburgh TV Festival that the BBC News channel may be closed as part of the proposed cuts and replaced with news being streamed to mobiles.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/26/bbc-considers-replacing-news-24-with-mobile-streaming-service

There was a big 'if' in this discussion. A suggestion that if the government reneged on its promises regarding the licence fee settlement, then this is one of the services that would be under threat. It is on record the Tony Hall is firmly of the opinion that the BBC News Channel should remain on terrestrial television for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    There was a big 'if' in this discussion. A suggestion that if the government reneged on its promises regarding the licence fee settlement, then this is one of the services that would be under threat. It is on record the Tony Hall is firmly of the opinion that the BBC News Channel should remain on terrestrial television for the foreseeable future.
    Tony Hall is basically the only person blocking James Harding's plan at least according to the Private Eye report quoted on here. Of course the evil tory cuts are a good scapegoat for this.

What James harding wants is the BBC News site full of video content that nobody likes and a rolling news channel that broadcasts to every country apart from the UK which leaves Sky News (who have fewer viewers than BBC News channel) as the sole UK provider of 24 hour breaking news. It's to be wondered whose side the former editor of The Times is really on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Tony Hall is basically the only person blocking James Harding's plan at least according to the Private Eye report quoted on here. Of course the evil tory cuts are a good scapegoat for this.

What James harding wants is the BBC News site full of video content that nobody likes and a rolling news channel that broadcasts to every country apart from the UK which leaves Sky News (who have fewer viewers than BBC News channel) as the sole UK provider of 24 hour breaking news. It's to be wondered whose side the former editor of The Times is really on.

For some time now I have had the impression that Harding' s knowledge of how television works is akin to my knowledge of nuclear physics - wasn't he behind the Victoria Derbyshire radio programme on TV ?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Mobile streaming would just be an app showing the last network news on a loop plus some text.
  • Options
    krooneykrooney Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Times?? Hmmm. Part of News Corp ie Sky. Maybe he is working as a secret agent lol. But in all seriousness the Beeb needs to amalgamate the BBC News Channel and BBC World. All they need to do is split the feeds for domestic and intl audiences so the latter gets the commercials.

BBC World News is a great TV news channel that I would dip into occasionally on the net. Only having overnight plus a couple of hours daytime is a crying shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A more radical way of saving money would be to close down BBC Parliament:D
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    krooney wrote: »
    The Times?? Hmmm. Part of News Corp ie Sky. Maybe he is working as a secret agent lol. But in all seriousness the Beeb needs to amalgamate the BBC News Channel and BBC World. All they need to do is split the feeds for domestic and intl audiences so the latter gets the commercials.
    And what do we get whilst they have commercials? Can't be anything important as they'd miss it. Plus, BBC World concentrates on ... well... not the UK, doesn't it? (Don't know. Catch watch it legally here in the UK and I only have cable!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very succinctly put.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    A more radical way of saving money would be to close down BBC Parliament:D

That would save very little, and would kill off something that is pure PSB (i.e. what the BBC should be doing).

Total cost 2014-15 was £10.1 million (Annual Report, page 139)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what do we get whilst they have commercials? Can't be anything important as they'd miss it.

When simulcasting, BBC News has a UK specific story when World goes to a break.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Not such a big deal really, for me; I'll just Chromecast to the telly if I want to watch it. What I will miss is the Click series link.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Not surprising at the least, as a cunning move to turn the big BBC into an internet/online first public business.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    24-hour news is not a public service; it's news as entertainment, and is something the BBC should never have been involved with in the first place.

As with all the other non-PSB stuff (such as BBC1 in prime time), just take it out of the PSB remit and allow the BBC to run ads to pay for it, leaving the taxation element solely for the non-commercial part of the service.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Doesn't bother me really. I never watch BBC News. I mostly watch CNBC, Sky News, Bloomberg, EuroNews or CNN. We get BBC World on UPC Ireland as well but I never watch it at home. I only watch that in hotels abroad if its the only English channel available.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    He also said that the News Channel would have to be recieved in "other ways" as well before a decision would be made to close the over the air channel.

Given that his time frame is ten years, with streaming services becoming more and more prevalent, then it won't just be mobiles that can pick it up, it will be the promised expansion of iPlayer once the charter has sorted itself out- so by that time most smart TV's will pick it up as well.

Seems a good solution to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    24-hour news is not a public service; it's news as entertainment, and is something the BBC should never have been involved with in the first place.
    But a rolling news channel schedule is not even laid out to be "entertainment", with the repetition of stores and slots. It IS a PSB service - up to date news when you want it. So I can't quite see your logic there.

If it was "entertainment" then don't you think that Sky would have monetised their own service?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    He also said that the News Channel would have to be recieved in "other ways" as well before a decision would be made to close the over the air channel.v

Given that his time frame is ten years, with streaming services becoming more and more prevalent, then it won't just be mobiles that can pick it up, it will be the promised expansion of iPlayer once the charter has sorted itself out- so by that time most smart TV's will pick it up as well.

We've got two smart TV's, two Nowtv boxes, an Amazon Fire box, tablets and smartphones and we can watch all BBC channels live, including News on the IPlayer.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Just because I've seen the BBC News channel shown in lots and lots of places on LCD TV's makes me realise it is a service that lots of people want and should not be scrapped in a traditional broadcast form. Why are people always arguing for the BBC to have less, making it a more boring service than they already allege it is, it needs more channels not less.

The sort of places I've seen it, I can't really remember them all but they weren't choosing Sky News! The local chippy believe it or not, doctors surgeries, taxi ranks, I can't remember them all but I've seen BBC News on a lot!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    24-hour news is not a public service; it's news as entertainment...
    What a load of nonsense.
    As with all the other non-PSB stuff (such as BBC1 in prime time)
    What a load of... oh never mind.

I mean... seriously. Why do some people insist on posting stuff that's so obviously simply wrong?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No real need for a rolling news channel, plenty of ways to get news and it don't change that much. I am sure that if anything important happens, like a invasion of Zombies, they would interrupt normal programmes.
    We used to mange without this 24/7 news before,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    No real need for a rolling news channel, plenty of ways to get news and it don't change that much.
    Not everyone has, or has access to, a smart TV or pc/smartphone. Some people seem to prefer getting their content via the trusty old TV.

And "not changing that much" is ideal for a rolling news channel! the contents get repeated so that people can catch up, but can be updated quickly when stories break.

I am sure that if anything important happens, like a invasion of Zombies, they would interrupt normal programmes.
    Sometimes people don't just want "really important" news stories.
    We used to mange without this 24/7 news before,
    And we used to manage without Sunday shopping, without major supermarkets being open 24x7, without supermarkets even. We also used to manage without the internet!

But times change, expectations change.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Not everyone has, or has access to, a smart TV or pc/smartphone. Some people seem to prefer getting their content via the trusty old TV.

And "not changing that much" is ideal for a rolling news channel! the contents get repeated so that people can catch up, but can be updated quickly when stories break.

Sometimes people don't just want "really important" news stories.

Nothing is stopping people watching news on TV, There is news on the main channels at certain points of the day and every half hour or so on the radio.
    And we used to manage without Sunday shopping, without major supermarkets being open 24x7, without supermarkets even. We also used to manage without the internet!

But times change, expectations change.

The less said about Sunday opening hours the better and 24 /7 for that matter.
    It is the BBc who are complaining they are short of money, if that is the case then shut the 24/7 news channel down, it is not required. Also there are plenty of other news channels on TV.