Options

iPhone becoming less popular

Comments

• Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    When you consider you could have both the 8gb Nexus 4 and a 16gb for less than the price of a 16gb iPhone5 its easy to see why.

It's even cheaper than an 8GB iPhone 4 which Apple are selling for £319.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple just have a very good publicity/marketing department telling everyone that their phone is the best and a lot of people believe it, or just want one to be trendy.

Personally, the more someone goes on about something the less I want it. I've just got an S2 and its a very good phone. I'm sure it must do everything an iphone does and if it doesn't I'm not bothered.

I thought I read somewhere that Android phones far outsell iphones anyway.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple have been making HUGE profits from iPhone and iPad. It's no surprise customers are looking at and selecting alternatives that offer better value for money.

If they want to remain popular Apple will have to offer products that comepte and rely less on their branding.

Apple's accessory prices and mermory prices are very good reasons why customers are buying alternatives. Apple were a niche computer company for many years before the explosion of the iPod and iPhone and look set to return to that position as greed and brand reliance prevails.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    All these arguments against the iphone have been made for ages are were just as relevant last year. However it does not stop them selling by the bucket load, I've not looked at i5 sales but I imagine they haven't disappointed any one know?
  • Options
    Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is certainly more choice than ever in the Smart phone world now..

i am and always will be an Iphone fan, just love it..
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Up to Sept iPhones had sold 26m in the last quarter . So they are still as popular as ever !!

You can't even get a IPhone 5 as most places are sold out .
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. Apple's iPhone sales have increased this past quarter, compared to the same quarter last year, ditto for its market share. Sales and share are not as high as that of Samsung, but they are still growing year on year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the people I know right now have Blackberrys but where I live seem to have really gotten attached to BBM, which I think is pretty redundant when we have Facebook and twitter but hey. Others either have a 4S like myself or an S3, but almost everyone of the S3 owners are not happy that they purchased that phone.

Thats only the people I know but quite interesting. No one has an iphone 5 but then again there isnt any killer feature of the 5 to make it must have.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The hype with iphone and ipads has certainly died down a lot over the last 2 years.

Probably because of serious lack of innovation and devices that look the same year in year out.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The financial data doesn't really show it yet, but it's becoming obvious from the general vibe out there that Apple has peaked at some point in the last couple of years. As other tech companies can tell them, once a decline sets in it's very difficult to stop it from accelerating.

Their arrogance will be their downfall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    But the iphone is still the best selling single model of phone out there
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Son was a big fanboi of Apple. He had an iPhone 4, and was always saying Apple over Android.

He saw my S2 and "quite liked it".

Last month I got a Galaxy Note 2 and he loved it.

He watched a few vids of the S3 in action, played with my nice new shiny Note 2 and decided his plan was to upgrade to an S3.

On Facebook, there are groups like "Buy and Sell, Swap in ...etc"..and someone wanted to swap an S3 for an iPhone 4 or 4s. My Son jumped at the chance...and is now happily on his S3 and loves it.

He showed his Mum...who had an iPhone 4. She liked it and wanted one.
    By a strange coincidence, on one of those Facebook's groups we subscribe to, another person was swapping their S3 for an iPhone 4 or 4s.

My Son convinced his Mum to swap.

She's in love with her nice white s3.

I also know 3 others at work who have recently upgraded their phones from iPhones to S3's.

So, in my own life, I know of 5 people who have gone from iPhone to S3's in the past 6 weeks...and they all love their S3's.

iPhone is still good. iPhone is still popular. But the Samsung Galaxy is slowly but surely catching up. Samsung are doing something right. And it's good to have good healthy competition in the marketplace.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    My Son was a big fanboi of Apple. He had an iPhone 4, and was always saying Apple over Android.

He saw my S2 and "quite liked it".

Last month I got a Galaxy Note 2 and he loved it.

He watched a few vids of the S3 in action, played with my nice new shiny Note 2 and decided his plan was to upgrade to an S3.

On Facebook, there are groups like "Buy and Sell, Swap in ...etc"..and someone wanted to swap an S3 for an iPhone 4 or 4s. My Son jumped at the chance...and is now happily on his S3 and loves it.

He showed his Mum...who had an iPhone 4. She liked it and wanted one.
    By a strange coincidence, on one of those Facebook's groups we subscribe to, another person was swapping their S3 for an iPhone 4 or 4s.

My Son convinced his Mum to swap.

She's in love with her nice white s3.

I also know 3 others at work who have recently upgraded their phones from iPhones to S3's.

So, in my own life, I know of 5 people who have gone from iPhone to S3's in the past 6 weeks...and they all love their S3's.

iPhone is still good. iPhone is still popular. But the Samsung Galaxy is slowly but surely catching up. Samsung are doing something right. And it's good to have good healthy competition in the marketplace.

The S3 certainly seems to have the conversion factor :D My brother has the iphone5 but started wavering over his iphone fanboy-ism when I showed him the S3, he even said he may sell his iphone to get one. By comparison, nothing he has shown me on the iphone interests me. All I see when I look at it is a more expensive phone with a smaller screen (which is nowhere near as good quality as the S3 screen imo) and a phone which does nothing more of note than mine, in fact in many ways, it does less. No google earth? Plus I hate its app store.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in the long term Apple do have a problem. This article from the Economist lists the top spending companies on R&D:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/10/focus-7
    Apple are not in that list, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft and IBM are. Apple's spend was $2.4 billion:
    http://gigaom.com/apple/apples-rd-spend-up-33-percent-for-2011/
    Nokia spent just over $8 billion. So Apple spend less than a third on innovation than Nokia. And people complain about boring iOS. Well I think there may be a connection. Complacency is a dangerous thing in a tech firm.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this Facebook group shows people are also upgrading S3 to iPhone :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this Facebook group shows people are also upgrading S3 to iPhone :)

Hand on heart, I've not personally seen one person, [yet], asking for a swap of an S3 to an iPhone.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    He now has an s3 as the profile of android has increased and he has used mine a lot but "word" on the street well in his school/mates etc the iphone is still the cool phone and this will take a while to change I think. he also still needs the odd reassurance that he has the 'right' phone.

iPhone is currently THE phone to have amongst teens, but a year ago it was Blackberry (article). In another 12-18 months the teen market will no doubt be obsessed with some other phone as they're very fickle and are more bothered about the latest trend rather than loyalty to a particular brand.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    iPhone is currently THE phone to have amongst teens, but a year ago it was Blackberry (article). In another 12-18 months the teen market will no doubt be obsessed with some other phone as they're very fickle and are more bothered about the latest trend rather than loyalty to a particular brand.

Trends and brand loyalty are both poor reasons to go for a particular phone. I look at all phones and make my decision based on what I think is best and at the moment, I think that is the S3. I have no brand loyalty to Samsung though, if Apple go on to make a better phone for the same price, I will pick that instead. I have no idea why people choose expensive things like this based on trend or brand loyalty. To me, those are stupid reasons and part of the reason why Apple lack innovation with the iphone5. They know (or presume?) people are just going to stick with them no matter what 'because it's an iphone' so in effect, fan girls and boys kill off any need for innovation. It only lasts so long though, there is a breaking point and if Apple continue to be this lazy with their innovation, people will start to abandon them in droves for the much cheaper phones that are often better, then it won't be long after that, that the rest of the flock will follow. I do expect Apple to realise this before it is too late though and buck their ideas up. They have a very strong brand, but that can only get them so far. Their current arrogance will do them no favours
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand on heart, I've not personally seen one person, [yet], asking for a swap of an S3 to an iPhone.

But isn't it the public swapping? So the people your son and wife swapped with went from S3 to iPhone?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

not the teens around my way :confused:

I have 2 teens and also run a junior football squad. most are either blackberry for BBM (which ive never quite understood) or Android. Very few have iPhones. I think its turned into a state where kids dont want to have the same phone as their mum or dad ..... thats really not cool :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who is in that 5% drop i would list these as to why im not getting an iPhone next:

Lack of innovation - I just expected more and thats all i really have to say.

Same unchanged user interface - Yes, i am bored of it, the screen needs more customization, i want to have MY phone in my hand now. Everyone virtually has the same thing going on.

Bored of the same phone - Although i think the iPhone 4 is great, i have loved it, but ive had it for over 2 years now and before that i had an iphone 3g for 18 months, i just simply need a change.

I will probably be back at some point, just not now.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    As someone who is in that 5% drop i would list these as to why im not getting an iPhone next:

Lack of innovation - I just expected more and thats all i really have to say.

Same unchanged user interface - Yes, i am bored of it, the screen needs more customization, i want to have MY phone in my hand now. Everyone virtually has the same thing going on.

Bored of the same phone - Although i think the iPhone 4 is great, i have loved it, but ive had it for over 2 years now and before that i had an iphone 3g for 18 months, i just simply need a change.

I will probably be back at some point, just not now.

Yeah I am kind of in the same boat but one point I would add is cost.

If the iPhone 5 is as good as a Nexus 4 (and im not saying it is) and there isn't much to tell them apart then why on earth am i going to buy an iPhone 5 at £530 when a Nexus 4 is £240.

It reminds me of when I bought my laptop, all I wanted was an Ivy Bridge machine with USB3 and Intel HD 4000 graphics.

The Lenovo G580 met all this for £400 while Apple wanted £860 (with student discount) so guesses which i went for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But isn't it the public swapping? So the people your son and wife swapped with went from S3 to iPhone?

Yeah I see what you mean lol duh
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I see what you mean lol duh

The fact that someone wanted to swap a 2012 Android phone for a 2010 iPhone doesn't exactly give it glowing reviews lol.

It's like wanting to swap an iPhone 5 for an HTC Desire.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The fact that someone wanted to swap a 2012 Android phone for a 2010 iPhone doesn't exactly give it glowing reviews lol.

It's like wanting to swap an iPhone 5 for an HTC Desire.

When you think about it, it's actually quite clever. If you want an iPhone 4S (or maybe a 5) because you're coming from an older iPhone or a feature phone, but you don't want to spend out, get an S3 on a deal where you pay nothing or very little for the S3, then swap for an iPhone where your phone provider probably would have charged you a large up front fee!

If what you want is an iPhone, but you don't have the upfront cash, this is a way round it!