Options

Ebay hits rock bottom

Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well I haven't used Ebay for a few years, and I foolishly decided last week to auction off some old copies of Viz magazine.

So I fired them all up, and probably lost money because hardly any sold, but some did and today the buyers paid by Paypal.

So I get an email from Paypal saying "Hooray, they have paid" but referencing an account that's not my Paypal account. It's the email address I use for Ebay but that's not the same as my Paypal account.

Infact the Paypal account they have paid into does not exist. So the Paypal email says I can create this new Paypal account to receive payment, which is a right old hassle, but I do it anyway, and what a surprise - no funds.

So I close that useless account and contact the buyers to tell them to cancel their Paypal payments because Ebay has told them a lot of bollocks for the paypal account, and here is the correct paypal account.

"No, you can't do that" says Ebay, because you are not allowed to mention an email address in a message to a buyer.

Pathetic.

So I have to message them to cancel their payments, then reinvoice them from Ebay (because that kind of contact IS allowed to mention an email address) and then wait for them to pay a second time.

I would not blame them for just walking away to be honest, this system is even worse than I remember.

Is this some new nonsense that Ebay came up with, that your Paypal account has to be the same email address as your Ebay account, or is their system just totally broken.

I'm thinking of just deleting my Ebay account entirely, it's not worth the hassle, as a seller OR a buyer now.

:cry:

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ebay address is different from my Paypal address. Never had that sort of problem but I only buy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ebay address is different from my Paypal address. Never had that sort of problem but I only buy.

Mine is different and I buy and sell.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is different too and I buy and sell.

You can have more than 1 email address associated with your paypal account so you could have just added that email address to your existing account.

When you list an item, you can specify your paypal account in the "Select how you'll be paid" section.
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Mine is different too and I buy and sell.

You can have more than 1 email address associated with your paypal account so you could have just added that email address to your existing account.

When you list an item, you can specify your paypal account in the "Select how you'll be paid" section.

Nice one, thanks.

Right, I've added the address Ebay has started telling everyone to my actual Paypal account, so hopefully I'll get the payments whether they use the correct email address or the one Ebay has started telling people.

Thanks for that
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Well I haven't used Ebay for a few years, and I foolishly decided last week to auction off some old copies of Viz magazine.

So I fired them all up, and probably lost money because hardly any sold, but some did and today the buyers paid by Paypal.

So I get an email from Paypal saying "Hooray, they have paid" but referencing an account that's not my Paypal account. It's the email address I use for Ebay but that's not the same as my Paypal account.

Infact the Paypal account they have paid into does not exist. So the Paypal email says I can create this new Paypal account to receive payment, which is a right old hassle, but I do it anyway, and what a surprise - no funds.

So I close that useless account and contact the buyers to tell them to cancel their Paypal payments because Ebay has told them a lot of bollocks for the paypal account, and here is the correct paypal account.

"No, you can't do that" says Ebay, because you are not allowed to mention an email address in a message to a buyer.

Pathetic.

So I have to message them to cancel their payments, then reinvoice them from Ebay (because that kind of contact IS allowed to mention an email address) and then wait for them to pay a second time.

I would not blame them for just walking away to be honest, this system is even worse than I remember.

Is this some new nonsense that Ebay came up with, that your Paypal account has to be the same email address as your Ebay account, or is their system just totally broken.

I'm thinking of just deleting my Ebay account entirely, it's not worth the hassle, as a seller OR a buyer now.

:cry:

You could always check the details are correct to start with in future.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate eBay and everybody should too. That is all!

I hope you found my advice useful :D
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though OP's problem became a mess it's worth pointing out to those unaware, a thread was recently opened in GD by a poster who had fallen victim to a scammer operating on eBay.

On investigating further, the scale of this scam is unprecedented, the likes of which i've never seen in my fourteen years of eBay use. It's fraud on a massive scale. The monetary value amounts of each item is relatively small ranging between £30 - £70, but he is scamming on a daily basis so net total and we are talking in thousands.

The scammer registered a username on DS on February 3rd in order to watch what posts are being made discussing the operation of his fraud. Needless to say he's never made a post anywhere on DS yet logs in several times a day every day.

You can read the thread here;

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936413
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same sort of thing happened to me. I sold something and the person paid into a paypal account that matched my Ebay email address but it didnt exist. Unfortunately it was the first time I used Ebay so I didn't realize, the payment pended for about a month then the payment got returned to the buyer. So I contacted Ebay and they explained what happened with my paypal account, the buyer was refusing all contact with me and not paying and I'd already sent the item since it had been so long and I was new, so Ebay gave me the money instead!
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Fired them all up' What the hell does that mean? You burnt them? You turned on the power?
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    gave up with ebay since no reciprocal feedback

and 10% fees
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only brought and that was a few years ago now as I had such diffulculty putting my new card details on their system, that I gave up in the end so havent used it since, I know this does not help opening poster, but thats my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gave up with ebay since no reciprocal feedback

and 10% fees
    After years of using ebay and experiencing people not leaving feedback after i'd given to them, i took the only action possible. I now make a point of letting both buyers and sellers know that i only give feedback to those who place on mine.

If they don't post to me.........they get nothing from me.

I currently have three sellers i've bought from who haven't left feedback. I'm more than happy knowing that they aren't getting any from me.

As for now taking a percentage from sellers postal fees......i think that's a step too far and ebay could well have shot themselves in the foot on this. The only way for a seller to avoid it is buy offering each item as "postage free".....leaving the seller totally unprotected from scammers such as the one already mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still buy the occasional thing off there but i'm never selling on there again due to a bad experience where i sent the item and then lost all the money plus the expense of sending it cos the buyer made a claim that i never sent it and ebay sided with them.
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    After years of using ebay and experiencing people not leaving feedback after i'd given to them, i took the only action possible. I now make a point of letting both buyers and sellers know that i only give feedback to those who place on mine.

You are just being selfish. If everyone did that then no feedback would be left and you would be walking into every transaction completely blind. I can see no reason not to leave feedback when you are a buyer and you receive everything satisfactorily. The purpose of giving feedback is to review their performance to aid other buyers/sellers, not to receive a mutual pat on the back.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EBay is a joke. Its become exactly what you would expect from a monopoly - excessive prices and restrictive practices. The worst thing is that I still use it as there's little other option.
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    They removed that listing.>:(
    They were quick off the mark.
    I took a grab of the list of names though and put it on FB for my friends there.A good few of them use ebay a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I currently have three sellers i've bought from who haven't left feedback. I'm more than happy knowing that they aren't getting any from me.

As for now taking a percentage from sellers postal fees......i think that's a step too far and ebay could well have shot themselves in the foot on this. The only way for a seller to avoid it is buy offering each item as "postage free".....leaving the seller totally unprotected from scammers such as the one already mentioned.

Most high volume business sellers have it set up so feedback is returned automatically when it's left for them. It's proof of how redundant leaving feedback for buyers really is. It has to be positive & what can you say really, other than 'this person bought & paid for the item'. I haven't left any feedback for buyers since November as I have more important to do like send customers their items than copy & past a stock phrase. I have a high feedback score so it doesn't really mean anything to me if they leave feedback or not. No feedback is better than bad feedback.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be broadly supportive of Ebay and I bought and sold fastidiously adhering to their rules. However, their antics started pee'ing even me off.
    BUT... rather than cutting my nose of to spite my face and boycotting them I started occasionally to complete transactions outside of my listing. Eg I bunged some trainers up for sale on one of their free-listing days and sold them cash a few hours a later to someone who emailed me. Whole thing cost me nowt. I reckon I conduct 20% of my sales like that now and I target higher value or heavier things that people are likely to have to personally collect anyway.
    Basically I view them like Ryanair... onus is on me to understand their terms and conditions and to manoeuvre about within them as much as I can.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    I fortunately sell in a very niche area, with a particular type of collector - and it's probably the last decent area on ebay to operate in these days.

Hidden away in this corner of ebay, dodgy buyers rarely come along. Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc, the site still serves my needs very well despite the drawbacks.

As for regular selling to the masses, I wouldn't touch that sort of with a bargepole on modern ebay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »
    You are just being selfish. If everyone did that then no feedback would be left and you would be walking into every transaction completely blind.
    Nothing selfish about not giving back to those who don't give. Result is whilst i get no feedback from them....neither do they from me. It's worked perfectly.

As for 'walking into a transaction blind'........read below.
    Most high volume business sellers have it set up so feedback is returned automatically when it's left for them.
    Actually you will find they have it set on auto feedback when payment is made....not when they receive feedback.

All Sellers i've bought from who have their feedback set to auto on payment, receive feedback from me on receipt of goods.

TBH the whole Feedback issue has pretty much become meaningless now since eBay stopped sellers from posting negative to troublesome buyers. All of a sudden peoples feedback rating made miraculous jumps to 100% and you now have little idea of who you are dealing with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing selfish about not giving back to those who don't give. Result is whilst i get no feedback from them....neither do they from me. It's worked perfectly.

As for 'walking into a transaction blind'........read below.

Actually you will find they have it set on auto feedback when payment is made....not when they receive feedback.

All Sellers i've bought from who have their feedback set to auto on payment, receive feedback from me on receipt of goods.

TBH the whole Feedback issue has pretty much become meaningless now since eBay stopped sellers from posting negative to troublesome buyers. All of a sudden peoples feedback rating made miraculous jumps to 100% and you now have little idea of who you are dealing with.

Sorry but you are just making stuff up now to prove a point.
    It's clear from your comment you don't know what you're talking about.

I have been running an eBay business for the past 6 years. Obviously not all the sellers leave feedback on payment or you wouldn't have outstanding feedback. Some sellers do have it set to leave it on payment but a lot don't. The last thing they want to do is leave positive feedback for a buyer to then con them by reversing the payment or claiming INR.

There is a reason that eBay stopped letting sellers leave Neg feedback. It didn't stop bad buyers. And it was open to a lot of abuse in tit for tat feedback. If you have a problem buyer you open a case against them, then other sellers can set their restrictions to stop them from buying them. It has worked well for me. If I go to the buyer requirements page I have a long list of people who tried to buy from me but were blocked because of too many non payment strikes. Which saves me time & money in lost fees I would have to open a case to reclaim. If you are a high volume seller the last thing you would have time to do is go through a buyers feedback to look for negs then cancel the bid & block them.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    EBay is a joke. Its become exactly what you would expect from a monopoly - excessive prices and restrictive practices. The worst thing is that I still use it as there's little other option.

I only use it for buying nowadays.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was the government i'd just set up a public version of eBay with reasonable fees. It's a natural monopoly so why not let the profits flow back into the public purse?
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    When you list an item on Ebay part of the listing process is how you want to paid, and it shows the email address Paypal payments will be sent to. I'm not sure why it's Ebay's fault if a seller doesn't check that before posting the listing. My Ebay account uses a Yahoo address, my Paypal account uses my own domain address and I've never had any problems receiving payments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but you are just making stuff up now to prove a point.
    It's clear from your comment you don't know what you're talking about.
    Why would i need to "make stuff up"? There is no point to prove at all......after all i do know how i run my own ebay buying and selling. You don't.
    I have been running an eBay business for the past 6 years.
    I've been ebaying fourteen years.

Obviously not all the sellers leave feedback on payment or you wouldn't have outstanding feedback. Some sellers do have it set to leave it on payment but a lot don't. The last thing they want to do is leave positive feedback for a buyer to then con them by reversing the payment or claiming INR.
    You are right......unfortunately some Sellers don't have their feedback set to 'auto' on payment, but the more business 'savvy' do and they are running it right. I will explain why.

If a Trader then you should be looking at ebay a little bit like your "shop".

When a buyer makes a purchase they have completed their side of 'the deal'. Payment in full has been made to the Sellers account. Feedback should now be instantaneous. Pretty much in the same way as when a customer in a shop goes to to pay at the till, it's seen as good manners for the person on the till receiving the payment to say "thank you".....this is good customer 'feedback'.

You, as The Seller have yet to complete your side of 'the deal' by dispatching the item to the Buyer.

Assuming The Seller has posted instant feedback on payment to my site, then they will receive the same as soon as i receive the item. And i make 100% sure that i post it (i check my ebay account daily....even if i haven't bought/sold anything).

The only reason i resorted to using this method was after getting totally fed up by the endless amount of Sellers i'd bought from who, even after i'd posted feedback to them, failed to return any to my ebay site.

It's the only solution......and i'm more than content in that it works.

There is a reason that eBay stopped letting sellers leave Neg feedback. It didn't stop bad buyers. And it was open to a lot of abuse in tit for tat feedback.
    The 'tit for tat' business was getting out of hand......but it went both ways, not just one way.

I had one buyer who bid and won an item at a real rock bottom price. I'd made sure the description was thorough and precise down to the last detail. I posted positive on her site as obviously payment had been made.....she'd completed her side of 'the deal'.

She returned negative feedback claiming the item wasn't new (it was actually described as 'used' in the item description!).

I offered her a full refund including postage on condition she returned the item and withdrew the negative comment.

She refused!

Looking back through her feedback history soon told me she had a nasty habit of doing this with other ebayers. Posting 'negatives' but refusing to return the allegedly 'incorrectly' described item. Strange reaction when if so disappointed with an item you've bought, you refuse to return it and want to keep it instead!

She's now blocked from buying from me but blocking a troublemaker doesn't always mean you've solved the problem because some will run with multiple accounts.