R010 software update

Comments

• me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I got an update today on one of my STBs, but no info in the post. It is not on my main TV as yet, but I can wait. When it comes it comes, nothing to get over excited about, just another facility or two

Ah ok cool.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see what options i have when i get home (i got the update but not really looked at it), as i have the Variety Bundle and the legacy HD Pack (to keep the F1), but no movies or sports.

In theory, anything i want to download, that i can watch from my subscription, i can watch in HD, so i "should" have a HD only option, but i bet i don't.

As suspected, even though i have the legacy HD pack, so anything i am able to watch, i can watch in HD, but because i do not have Movies or Sports, i do not get this option of having downloads in HD only, even though i can't watch Sports or Movies in SD either!
  • pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    well got it working after a bit of tinkering.
    pressing sky turns the TV on, but turning the sky box off doesn't turn the tv off.
    whether that is intended or not i don't know.

Same here.

I did notice one problem with our multiscreen box in the bedroom. It's connected to the TV in the bedroom via HDMI, however it also feeds a 2nd TV in the office via RF2 output/link system they provided. Now if I'm in the office and fire up the sky box, it turns the TV on in the bedroom!

Looks like I will disable it on that box.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here.

I did notice one problem with our multiscreen box in the bedroom. It's connected to the TV in the bedroom via HDMI, however it also feeds a 2nd TV in the office via RF2 output/link system they provided. Now if I'm in the office and fire up the sky box, it turns the TV on in the bedroom!

I'm thinking the new HDMI control function will open up a can with a few very strange worms :o There's bound to be some HDMI stuff people have connected without the CEC standard properly implemented which will cause some unexpected behaviour :D.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,504
    Forum Member
    Same here.

Have you turned OFF the HDMI control via RF2?, if this is ON it's exactly how it's supposed to work (for use if the box is in a cabinet and a magic eye used to control it).

Presumably (and hopefully) if it's turned OFF, then this won't happen? - again, I'm presuming you're using the normal Sky magic eye, and not a Pyramid remote or anything else? (in which case you would obviously need to turn CEC off entirely).
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    It's absolutely scandalous that it's not available on the forced update stream yet..

Why do sky withhold updates from large sections of the subscribers when those of us that want to do the upgrade can't.

Imagine if ios8 had been rolled out to a few iPhones one day a few iPads the next.

It's childs play.
    Well that's a bit harsh.
    It's amateurs play
    sorry kids you could have done better than the shower of shoddiness at Sky

believe in better

Please tell me you're not being serious?!
    Just how in the name of all thats sane is Sky rolling out its software updates in stages 'scandalous'?!
    Scandalous is how you get away with this kind of post week in and week out. Not Sky having brains to not mass-roll out an update in the event of a huge unforeseen issue rendering potentially millions of boxes useless and crippling their call centers from customers calling to get help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you turned OFF the HDMI control via RF2?, if this is ON it's exactly how it's supposed to work (for use if the box is in a cabinet and a magic eye used to control it).

Presumably (and hopefully) if it's turned OFF, then this won't happen? - again, I'm presuming you're using the normal Sky magic eye, and not a Pyramid remote or anything else? (in which case you would obviously need to turn CEC off entirely).

Yes, I'm using the sky magic eye. I have turned the HDMI control off and this is no longer a problem. Someone would have been in for a shock if I went in the office on a Sunday morning to watch the TV and they were having a lie in when the telly sprung into life in the bedroom! :-)
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm using the sky magic eye. I have turned the HDMI control off and this is no longer a problem.

Which one did you turn OFF - and was the RF2 one actually ON?.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    There is only one "HDMI Control" on/off option, and when it's "on" a further menu item then appears "HDMI Control via RF Output" on/off.
    That's what he would have switched off.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one did you turn OFF - and was the RF2 one actually ON?.

Before I made any changes, we had
    "HDMI Control" = On
    "HDMI Control via RF Output" = Off

During my play around, we had
    "HDMI Control" = On
    "HDMI Control via RF Output" = On

Finally reverted to the default
    "HDMI Control" = On
    "HDMI Control via RF Output" = Off

Pretty cool with that, people in the bedroom can switch the HDMI connected TV on with the "Sky button" in the bedroom and I can't remotely switch that HDMI connected TV in the bedroom from the office TV which is connected to the same Sky box via RF2/Magic Eye.

I could be missing something here, but is there any real life situation when "HDMI Control via RF Output" could be useful? If you watching via RF, why would you need HDMI control?
  • SpartanWoddySpartanWoddy Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Are you a little perturbed?

I mentioned iOS 8

Apple sent this out globally to millions of different products.

The Comparison I feel is valid.

Actually Apple have not just released iOS 8, it has been released several times to developers for testing and bug reporting. Only now when it is finally ready have they realised it to the whole iOS community. Sky have a smaller release in a similar vein to ensure the stability of the product. The reals by Apple is to just two products the iPhone and the iPad which are very similar and work in the same way.

The comparison is valid, in as much its a software upgrade, but to say Apple have released this for the first time to everybody isn't true.

As soon as Sky are happy with the rollout it will appear on the download stream in a similar way to iOS 8 now being downloadable by those who want it.

Unfortunately, by your comments, you appear to be only interested in yourself and getting it first or at the same time the first individuals get it. The wider community accept that the policy Sky are using is a tried and tested way to ensure that any problems are identified before they get sent out to the whole service and cause a massive problem for Sky being able to handle all the customer enquiries.

Microsoft do the same with beta versions of major software upgrades, and i'm sure other developers would do the same.

It might serve you better to stop having a go at those who respond to your wild claims, and consider that other people have a different view to yourself.

I for one am pleased Sky ensure to the best of their ability the software is fit for purpose before they upload it to my box. Missed recordings and other failure do cause a bit of inconvience. In the wide scale of things, does it really matter? I'm sure anyone diagnosed with cancer today would tell you that which version of software on their Sky box wouldn't be scandelous. What is truly scandalous is being told they can't have he treatment they need because their NHS trust doesn't offer it!

Just another small point, just because a person has a different view doesn't make them a FanBoy or any other derogatory remark you wish to make. Treat peoples views with respect, and stop name calling and maybe people will take your views at little more seriously. Respect is something we earn, not something we can demand.
    Forum Member
    I could be missing something here, but is there any real life situation when "HDMI Control via RF Output" could be useful? If you watching via RF, why would you need HDMI control?

As I mentioned above (and actually read off the screen on the Sky box :D), it's for those who have their box in a cabinet and use a magic eye to control it because of that - actually it's a VERY clever piece of thinking by Sky :D

I must admit, it would have never occurred to me.
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So once a week? :D

Not nessiserily

Sky's normal switch days are Tuesday's and Thursday's at 2am. During the height of the rollout they can update on both those days.

This rollout's been going abit slowly, there hasn't been many switch dates for Sky+HD boxes yet. Although the last batch was a big-ish one.

Sky's rollout is flexible and adapts based on the feedback received from a verity of sources.
    For each new version, they start with a small batch of boxes, if the feedback is good then they increase the number of boxes updated in the next batch.

If they start to see a significant increase in the number of issues being reported then they can reduce the number of boxes in the next batch or suspend the rollout.

Although Sky have a plan, the actual switch dates themselves aren't confirmed. When the next batch will be updated is flexible itself, it can change based on feedback from previous batches. Sky might decide to wait a week before switching another batch of boxes while they investigate reports of issues ect.
    They'll always have a day in mind but this can change frequently, sometimes not getting the final go ahead until the day before.
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Not nessiserily

Sky's normal switch days are Tuesday's and Thursday's at 2am. During the height of the rollout they can update on both those days.

This rollout's been going abit slowly, there hasn't been many switch dates for Sky+HD boxes yet. Although the last batch was a big-ish one.

Sky's rollout is flexible and adapts based on the feedback received from a verity of sources.
    For each new version, they start with a small batch of boxes, if the feedback is good then they increase the number of boxes updated in the next batch.

If they start to see a significant increase in the number of issues being reported then they can reduce the number of boxes in the next batch or suspend the rollout.

Although Sky have a plan, the actual switch dates themselves aren't confirmed. When the next batch will be updated is flexible itself, it can change based on feedback from previous batches. Sky might decide to wait a week before switching another batch of boxes while they investigate reports of issues ect.
    They'll always have a day in mind but this can change frequently, sometimes not getting the final go ahead until the day before.

All good information, thank you.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned above (and actually read off the screen on the Sky box :D), it's for those who have their box in a cabinet and use a magic eye to control it because of that - actually it's a VERY clever piece of thinking by Sky :D

I must admit, it would have never occurred to me.

Not only that but they have actually continued their support of magic eye even in the HDMI era when they could have removed it in favour of promoting multiroom (or is it multiscreen now I cant remember?), which is good for those that dont have the extra money for things like that on top of their normal sub!
    Forum Member
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Not nessiserily

I think im right at the end of the queue because the last 2 updates, ive got off the DR stream and not by a surprise Sky update.
    But i suppose the newer the box, the later in the queue you are. (2TB WIFI box)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just made the wife jump, by switching on the TV in the lounge via the Sky app, utilising the new HDMI feature 😊
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Apple have not just released iOS 8, it has been released several times to developers for testing and bug reporting. Only now when it is finally ready have they realised it to the whole iOS community.

iOS 8 still managed to have lots of bugs though, according to several reports...
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan,

The current release being rolled out will be on all compatible boxes by the end of this month.

AND (drum roll please)

It'll be on the DR stream in a couple of weeks time.

Happy now?
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Dan,

The current release being rolled out will be on all compatible boxes by the end of this month.

AND (drum roll please)

Happy now?

He's classed as a inactive member. May not reply...............(thankfully)
  • ccarmockccarmock Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I think im right at the end of the queue because the last 2 updates, ive got off the DR stream and not by a surprise Sky update.
    But i suppose the newer the box, the later in the queue you are. (2TB WIFI box)

Interesting point - I wonder if Sky update in batches based on targeting specific boxes rolled up into a batch or whether it's rolled out to all boxes with a given model number in sequence. I have 4f31a2, presumably they increment that number over time as new boxes are manufactured
    Forum Member
    Dan,

AND (drum roll please)

Happy now?

Im curious.....
    If all boxes will be updated by the end of this month (Its the 23rd September) then what good is it being on the DR stream in a fortnights time? (besides it being there for new boxes in first time install and what-have-you...)
    ccarmock wrote: »
    Interesting point - I wonder if Sky update in batches based on targeting specific boxes rolled up into a batch or whether it's rolled out to all boxes with a given model number in sequence. I have 4f31a2, presumably they increment that number over time as new boxes are manufactured

Im told its done in serial number batches and as i have one box that while is compatible is old, it got the update first (My FSFS box) and then my newer 2TB WIFI box still has not so it fits well enough being serial number batches....
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Im curious.....
    If all boxes will be updated by the end of this month (Its the 23rd September) then what good is it being on the DR stream in a fortnights time? (besides it being there for new boxes in first time install and what-have-you...)

Exactly that - the ONLY reasons to do a forced update are for a brand new box (which most likely won't have the latest software), or if your box has been disconnected for an extended period and missed an update.

Sky boxes in use automatically update as it becomes available, and 'should' be upated before it's ever on the forced stream.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Seems like sky may have updated the box software to another version as on the sky epg info site (for any 890/895 box) version seems to be R010.070.58.13P (No info available)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why all this fuss about the update, it is not a fantastic change, nothing to get excited about. When it is released to your STB you will get it. I have got it to one of my boxes and not the other, but it does not bother me I can wait a couple of weeks or so as my STB works fine without it.

It certainly is not life changing:D