Missed call, try and call back says it's invalid

Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
Forum Member
✭✭
I have missed two calls on my mobile today. If I try and call the number back it says it's invalid. I tried it from my landline, that came up a dead number.
I sort of caught the end of the call, and it was a robotic voice, saying if I am Mr X input my date of birth. But I couldn't hear the rest as I was on a bus. it then cut out.
The number was 01942 759933. Does anyone know who this call came from?

Comments

• SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like telesales who often do this.

I was going to suggest using whoscalledme.com but their sites seems to be being blocked.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have missed two calls on my mobile today. If I try and call the number back it says it's invalid. I tried it from my landline, that came up a dead number.
    I sort of caught the end of the call, and it was a robotic voice, saying if I am Mr X input my date of birth. But I couldn't hear the rest as I was on a bus. it then cut out.
    Seems likely that whoever called you spoofed the CLI information to display a bogus number. Anyone who does that is probably up to no good so I wouldn't even bother trying to find out who it is.

Or it could be a genuine mistake when programming the switchboard at the organisation concerned. In that case you don't stand much chance of working out who it is as you don't know which digit(s) is(are) in error. So could take a while to work out what the correct version of the number could be.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the sites i looked at said it was a secretary of a surgeon at Wigan hospital?

Are you in Wigan?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people return missed calls from people they don't know? If it's important they will leave a message or ring back.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Why do people return missed calls from people they don't know? If it's important they will leave a message or ring back.
    I guess some people hate unsolved mysteries!

I agree, if they don't leave a message and they withold their ID they can go suck a lemon.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    One of the sites i looked at said it was a secretary of a surgeon at Wigan hospital?

Are you in Wigan?

Yes, I am in Wigan. Thanks for the pointer.