Options

Carer's allowance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi All,

Have been told that I "could" get an allowance for looking after my aged parents. (One is housebound the other an insulin dependant diabetic). I live at home with them and generally keep everything going.
I've just quickly looked it up and it says they need to be on an allowance before I can get an allowance. Anyone here clued up on this?

They both have only their pensions and no other "help".

I don't work, and am not receiving any benefits.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi.

In order to receive carer's allowance, you need to be spending a minimum of 35 hours a week 'caring' for them. I'm not sure if they in turn HAVE to be receiving DLA or AA, but it they are, it will definitely help matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure your correct. The person that you are going to care for has to recieve some sort of DLA or AA. They have to be on a certain rate as well. You will also only get it for one of your parents. I am not 100% sure but if you are 60 you can not claim Carers allowance. If you can claim it you are allowed to earn up to a certain amount each week as well. I think that what you said in your post that both your parents should be entitled to some sort of help ie bennifits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flooz wrote: »
    Hi.

In order to receive carer's allowance, you need to be spending a minimum of 35 hours a week 'caring' for them. I'm not sure if they in turn HAVE to be receiving DLA or AA, but it they are, it will definitely help matters.

Hi Flooz,

Thanks for your reply. It's very difficult to define the amount of hours I "care". Certainly, running the home and being alert at all times to my Dad's hypo's may add up to many more than 35. Plus, I am unable to leave them and have any sort of a social life.
    Wonder if I need to get them on the "radar" so to speak, before I can get the allowance?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasenine wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have been told that I "could" get an allowance for looking after my aged parents. (One is housebound the other an insulin dependant diabetic). I live at home with them and generally keep everything going.
    I've just quickly looked it up and it says they need to be on an allowance before I can get an allowance. Anyone here clued up on this?

They both have only their pensions and no other "help".

I don't work, and am not receiving any benefits.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

My husband is disabled and gets a carers allowance (paid to him). It is not means tested , he was visited by social services and they set it up for him to apply.
    he was also entitled to various aids around the house to help him with mobility.
    These were done by social services contractors.
    I have nothing but praise for the way my Husband was treated by the SS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I am sure your correct. The person that you are going to care for has to recieve some sort of DLA or AA. They have to be on a certain rate as well. You will also only get it for one of your parents. I am not 100% sure but if you are 60 you can not claim Carers allowance. If you can claim it you are allowed to earn up to a certain amount each week as well. I think that what you said in your post that both your parents should be entitled to some sort of help ie bennifits.
    Thanks Maisey Moo,

It seems very complicated....probably why I haven't bothered to think about it before.

I'm not 60. Cannot work because I care for them both and we've never bothered to try to get a benefit for either of them.
  • Options
    madmammadmam Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    You ought to get a benefits check, social services or CAB can help you with sorting out what you and your parents are entitled to.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    My husband is disabled and gets a carers allowance (paid to him). It is not means tested , he was visited by social services and they set it up for him to apply.
    he was also entitled to various aids around the house to help him with mobility.
    These were done by social services contractors.
    I have nothing but praise for the way my Husband was treated by the SS.

Hi Fredster,

Am I thinking of something else then? I mean an allowance paid to the person who cares, not the person who gets the care?
    Oh goodness, this is confusing me!
    I think, though, that unless ma and pa claim for something themselves, I cannot claim for looking after them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should i am sure get something for your dad because of his diabetes. You need to ask for a claim form to be sent from DLA. Your parents might be needed to be seen by someone but they might not. They usualy send a letter to there dr who then gives all the details. DLA doesnt depend on what you get. It is not an instant fix and can take from 3wks to 11wks+ to get a decision but i do think your parents have to make some sort of claim first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmam wrote: »
    You ought to get a benefits check, social services or CAB can help you with sorting out what you and your parents are entitled to.

Good luck :)

Thanks madmam,

I'll try to encourage them to do that. They are not big on getting the services involved, so you are right to wish me luck!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Maisey Moo,

It seems very complicated....probably why I haven't bothered to think about it before.

I'm not 60. Cannot work because I care for them both and we've never bothered to try to get a benefit for either of them.

You are probably entitled for allowance for both of them. Our GP suggested calling social services.
    My husband is also entitled to a blue badge, something else you should look into.
  • Options
    Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get carers allowance one of the people you care for must be receiving the care component of DLA. For them to get this they must be under 65. I think you can also claim carers allowance if they are getting attendance allowance which is usually what is paid to them if they are over 65.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks madmam,

I'll try to encourage them to do that. They are not big on getting the services involved, so you are right to wish me luck!! :)

That is very true of the elderly, but I can only tell you that the lady who came to us was extremely nice and not in the least bit patronising towards my husband. She was very keen to tell us what he could get in the way of aids to help him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should i am sure get something for your dad because of his diabetes. You need to ask for a claim form to be sent from DLA. Your parents might be needed to be seen by someone but they might not. They usualy send a letter to there dr who then gives all the details. DLA doesnt depend on what you get. It is not an instant fix and can take from 3wks to 11wks+ to get a decision but i do think your parents have to make some sort of claim first.

I think any letters sent will immediately prove my situation. Our surgery and indeed the hospital and paramedics have all our details.

Perhaps it's time to realise there is not a claim form for me, but I need to ASK the relevant people!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get carers allowance one of the people you care for must be receiving the care component of DLA. For them to get this they must be under 65. I think you can also claim carers allowance if they are getting attendance allowance which is usually what is paid to them if they are over 65.

My Husband is over 65 and his is definatley carers allowance and not attendance allowance. I don't think he receives a care component of DLA. in fact I know he does not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OK. Looks like they should both have the attendance allowance.

I'm going with the earlier advice of contacting CAB to see what we are all entitled to!:)
  • Options
    madmammadmam Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Thanks madmam,

It's a complicated system and seriously bewildering - There is always a time when it's best to bring in the experts :)

Firstly an assessment of individual care needs is made and that will point you in the right direction. You can refer yourselves to social services (don't be worried, they are there to help you) and, for the reassurance they might need, once it's sorted they go away :) but will be available to assist if things change in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Husband is over 65 and his is definatley carers allowance and not attendance allowance. I don't think he receives a care component of DLA. in fact I know he does not.

Carers allowance is paid to the carer not the person who is disabled. I am on DLA & my hubby gets carers allowance for caring for me. He could only receive it if I was awarded the care component of DLA.
    DLA comes in stages. Care component low rate, middle, rate or high. Mobility low rate or high. To get a mobility car you have to be getting the high rate mobility but you don't have to be getting the care. To get carers allowance the person being cared for has to be getting any level of care component but they can't have a carer if they just get the mobility.#If you claim DLA before 65 you carry on getting it after you reach 65 but can't claim it for the first time if over 65,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carers allowance is paid to the carer not the person who is disabled. I am on DLA & my hubby gets carers allowance for caring for me. He could only receive it if I was awarded the care component of DLA.
    DLA comes in stages. Care component low rate, middle, rate or high. Mobility low rate or high. To get a mobility car you have to be getting the high rate mobility but you don't have to be getting the care. To get carers allowance the person being cared for has to be getting any level of care component but they can't have a carer if they just get the mobility.#If you claim DLA before 65 you carry on getting it after you reach 65 but can't claim it for the first time if over 65,

OK, I wonder why the social service lady called it carers allowance, when it is paid to him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmam wrote: »
    It's a complicated system and seriously bewildering - There is always a time when it's best to bring in the experts :)

Firstly an assessment of individual care needs is made and that will point you in the right direction. You can refer yourselves to social services (don't be worried, they are there to help you) and, for the reassurance they might need, once it's sorted they go away :) but will be available to assist if things change in the future.

Thanks again madmam,

You have been very kind:)
    I shall broach this subject tomorrow with them both (I shall also get my sister around here for added persuasion!)
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I wonder why the social service lady called it carers allowance, when it is paid to him?
    Who cares for him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH sister has disabled daughters and only gets carers allowance for one of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares for him?

I do !! Do you think he is pulling a fast one and gave them his bank details when it should have been mine.?
    no christmas pud for him then. Unless I lace it with a little arsenic.:)
    before I get reported I am only jesting.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do !! Do you think he is pulling a fast one and gave them his bank details when it should have been mine.?
    no christmas pud for him then. Unless I lace it with a little arsenic.:)
    before I get reported I am only jesting.;)

Not getting in to this argument with him:D If you care for him & he gets care component then all I can say is you should be getting the £53 per week;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH sister has disabled daughters and only gets carers allowance for one of them

No matter how many people you care for you can only get carers allowance for one person. I cared for my parent for over 20 yrs but only ever got carers for my father as they say caring for 2 is as easy as caring for one, yeah right:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how many people you care for you can only get carers allowance for one person. I cared for my parent for over 20 yrs but only ever got carers for my father as they say caring for 2 is as easy as caring for one, yeah right:rolleyes:

I dont get that one either. she gets it for the eldest daughter