Trailers - giving away too much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
Forum Member
I had vowed not to watch any of the Prometheus trailers but decided to take a look at the latest TV spot and now wish I hadn't. Yes it looks amazing but they show way too much. I know they have a job to do of selling the movie but sometimes less is more.

There seems to be a recent trend in super long trailers giving away a lot of the key money shots. For that reason I will definitely be avoiding the new DK Rises trailer.

Last year I chose not to watch the 'Drive' trailer and went into the film blind and for that reason I enjoyed it even more. Having watched the trailer since, it's terrible, basically the entire story is played out in chronological order over a couple of minutes.

I think studios need to credit movie goers with a bit more intelligence, just give us a basic story outline, a glimpse of what we can expect, create a bit of mystery and leave us wanting more.

I think the whole trailer thing has got out of hand now we even have trailers for teaser trailers and in my opinion it's spoiling movies.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Dark Knight Rises has new footage but gives little away in terms of story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    The new Dark Knight Rises has new footage but gives little away in terms of story.

Yes not so much story spoiler but this is what they said on Empire website which made me avoid it:

Those of a spoiler-averse nature will definitely want to avoid this: though not much more is revealed in terms of plot, there are many cool moments that you’ll likely want to experience for the first time on the big screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Yes not so much story spoiler but this is what they said on Empire website which made me avoid it:

Those of a spoiler-averse nature will definitely want to avoid this: though not much more is revealed in terms of plot, there are many cool moments that you’ll likely want to experience for the first time on the big screen.

And the problem with that is? That isn't showing too much, the studios need the "money shots" to bring in the audience.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Fright Night extended trailer pretty much revealed entire plot of movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    And the problem with that is? That isn't showing too much, the studios need the "money shots" to bring in the audience.

No they don't, DKR will pack out theatres regardless of the trailer. I just think a lot of the decisions are made by studio execs and not the directors. Nolan is notoriously secretive over his films and would probably rather keep as much under wraps as possible but I imagine Warner Bros marketing dept have other ideas.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chronicle is another film that the trailer gave too much away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoid a lot of trailers now because of this very problem. I hate how all trailers show the "money shot"...like a big kiss scene, or a shot from the ending. I totally disagree that money shots are needed to bring in the audience when so many people online are starting to moan about trailers being too full off spoilers.

But maybe even worst are trailers that are so misleading the studios should be done for false advertising. Awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The trailer for Dream House rather ridiculously gave away the main plot twist. I don't generally regret watching trailers and I'm currently eagerly awaiting one or two, however I really wished that I hadn't watched this one!
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    NeverSoShy wrote: »
    The trailer for Dream House rather ridiculously gave away the main plot twist. I don't generally regret watching trailers and I'm currently eagerly awaiting one or two, however I really wished that I hadn't watched this one!

I havent seen this film but want to see it. I too watched the trailer and it does appear to give away a plot twist that will come later on or maybe even the main twist. But yes I wish I didnt know what I now do as I will start the film knowing the twist coming later on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    The girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Chronicle trailers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeverSoShy wrote: »

I remember there was a big fuss about that when the movie came out. I keep meaning to see the movie but I'm making sure I avoid the trailer in the meantime. Luckily I didn't see it and then knew to avoid it when the news came out that the trailer revealed the main plot twist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    New Fright Night extended trailer pretty much revealed entire plot of movie.

There wasn't too much plot in the first place :)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was a article about this on bbc news afew weeks ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16972394
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Yes a lot of the time they do, but I guess these days it i seen as that doesn't matter because there are so many news sites entertainemnt or film sites as well as Twitter etc that it's almost impossible for anything to be kept secret so plots, twists etc aren't known.
    It isn't impossible, to not find out stuff, but it's an exercise not too.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    That BBC article about trailers giving away spoilers does actually contain spoilers to films so be careful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Avengers was pretty a no brainer for me, there wasn't many surprises as the trailer gave the outline for the whole film.

Trailers for prometheus gave way too much, especially the new 3 minute trailer that gave a blow by blow account of what happens pretty much in the first hour.

This is what I really liked about the Dark Knight trailers, even though these films are predicable it had loads of twist and turns which you didn't expect.