Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Wait there was no point of the manuscript apart from for Jessica to eventually bring it to Milner capturing Jessica?
    Then what was the point of Arby!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Wow, amazing!
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Wait there was no point of the manuscript apart from for Jessica to eventually bring it to Milner capturing Jessica?

They knew that Jessica's "mission" was to find the manuscript so their intention was to use it as bait to eventually catch her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Well if that isn't one of the best British dramas ever, I'm Mr Rabbit!! Just brilliant...gonna miss it so much, think I may have a little cry!
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That ending means we could either get another series or not get one lol
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very vague ending so other series could be made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As always - to find Jessica Hyde. How did he put it...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Simply Amazing. Reminiscent of 'Heroes' first season!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if that isn't one of the best British dramas ever, I'm Mr Rabbit!! Just brilliant...gonna miss it so much, think I may have a little cry!

I do hope they've given us lots of extras on the DVD!
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the answer was there from the start were is Jessica Hyde
    Forum Member
    So, the Mr Rabbit story...

Was it partially fabricated by Milner, then? Letan served as Mr. rabbit cover, carving lines in his own stomach to fit the fabricated story according to Milner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Missed Arby in this one, boo hoo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member

Classic Hitchcockian MacGuffin with the manuscript- ended up being completely useless.

Gotta say that ending was immense- what a great series. Lets hope the ratings are good enough / C4 have enough faith in it for a possible second.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    So, the Mr Rabbit story...

Was it partially fabricated by Milner, then? Letan served as Mr. rabbit cover, carving lines in his own stomach to fit the fabricated story according to Milner.

A really good point. It had slipped my mind that she gave up the story. I don't recall anyone outside of the group ever verifying it - including Jess. Mind you, she's shown pretty much all of the abilities she professed Mr Rabbit to have,

Awesome series. Hope you agree :D
  • Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how on earth did they 'just pull the photos' of the people at the 70s meeting when all the names were redacted??

And what happened to Arby, last seen preparing to fight the baddies
  • arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Arby's go up in the fire?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ark wrote: »
    Didn't Arby's go up in the fire?

"Where is Raisin Boy Arby?" :cool:
    Forum Member
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    But how on earth did they 'just pull the photos' of the people at the 70s meeting when all the names were redacted??

And what happened to Arby, last seen preparing to fight the baddies

More important is, how did they missed Milner in the fricking photo? Maybe because Dugdale drew attention to Letan picture straight away. But I really think they have been deceived by their own sexism, not paying too much attention to the only woman in the photograph. :p
    Forum Member
    A really good point. It had slipped my mind that she gave up the story. I don't recall anyone outside of the group ever verifying it - including Jess. Mind you, she's shown pretty much all of the abilities she professed Mr Rabbit to have,

Awesome series. Hope you agree :D

Of course I agree. It's the best series I've seen in a long time!
  • arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he was always referred to as MR rabbit. They did say there were women at the meeting -2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    One question I have... Who was 'Milner's Son' then?

Was it really her son? - in which case had she let them experiment on him leaving him with Deels?
    Forum Member

Was it really her son? - in which case had she let them experiment on him leaving him with Deels?

Don't really think he was, he should be some sick person taken as cover for her story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found that whole scene suspicious. I'd always had an uneasy feeling about Milner but that scene cemented it for me. She seemed ready for their arrival - almost in anticipation and feigning surprise. I thought it could be bad acting but, hey, it's Geraldine James so that ain't likely!

The darkened room and oxygen tent all seemed a bit too contrived and out-of-place for a busy MI5 agent. We might get to find out more about him in series 2 - PLEASE!!!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, good finale. A bit disappointed the Utopia comic turned out to be nothing more than a way to bait Jessica out of hiding and into the Network's hands, but still some great twists and turns. Quality stuff all round.
    One question though, why did the Network go to all the trouble of creating vaccines and manufacturing the Russian Flu outbreak when all they needed was Jessica Hyde? Maybe I wasn't paying full attention, but this bit wasn't entirely clear to me :o.

And good point by kendoguk who said the answer was there from the start: "Where is Jessica Hyde?"
    I had a feeling this question would have some kind of significance.

So it looks like Series 2 (hopefully Channel 4 will give the green light - fingers crossed :cool:) will be about the Network attempting to release Janus... again? If that is the case, Series 2 could end up being a retread of Series 1 if the writers are not careful.
    Also, a part of me thinks there are more Utopia manuscripts out there... The whole concept of the show so heavily revolves around the Utopia comic - something which made the show unique from anything else on TV, so I find it hard to think that the writers have done away with the idea.

I don't think I can wait till 2014 for Series 2 :eek: :eek:!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that Milner is an anagram of Merlin. He was an ancient sorcerer of Druid origin who was so notorius for his acts of cunning and slight of hand that he was roped into Arthurian legend to lend it some historical credibility. Manuscripts of Rome and ancient Carthage have references to him along with many lexicons of Ancient Briton (Albion) as found in the great works of St. Bede. Anyway, my point is, he wouldn't have any trouble pulling a rabbit out of a hat.