Fish Cakes

Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
Forum Member
Has anyone got a simple beloved fish cake recipe to share?
I've had a look online but I would prefer a tried and tested recipe from a fellow FM :)

I made some last week and they were so disappointing.
Ideally oven cooked or grilled if possible.....thank you.

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fishcakes need frying in my experience, or else they're a bit flabby, no matter what is actually in them.

I use leftover boiled/mashed potatoes, whatever cooked leftover or tinned fish you've got, some frozen peas and a little bit of tartare sauce and mash that all together. The amounts depend on what you've got to hand, which I know is not everyone's idea of a recipe.
    But what makes them immense is that you shape the cakes into whatever size you want, eggwash them and roll them about in semolina then fry them.
    The semolina means they are lovely and crusty and crispy on the outside.

So, I suppose if you want a proper recipe with exact quantities for everything, you could follow the recipe you have already used, but do the eggwash/semolina/fry method. Because I've made these in a huge variety of combinations and they are always excellent.

Baking or grilling a fishcake is never a good idea. At least to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the cheap frozen ones!!!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Espresso;71718685]Fishcakes need frying in my experience, or else they're a bit flabby, no matter what is actually in them.

I use leftover boiled/mashed potatoes, whatever cooked leftover or tinned fish you've got, some frozen peas and a little bit of tartare sauce and mash that all together. The amounts depend on what you've got to hand, which I know is not everyone's idea of a recipe.
    But what makes them immense is that you shape the cakes into whatever size you want, eggwash them and roll them about in semolina then fry them.
    The semolina means they are lovely and crusty and crispy on the outside.

So, I suppose if you want a proper recipe with exact quantities for everything, you could follow the recipe you have already used, but do the eggwash/semolina/fry method. Because I've made these in a huge variety of combinations and they are always excellent.

Baking or grilling a fishcake is never a good idea. At least to me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that you've made them sound easy to make :)

BIB: That could be were I went wrong as my fishcakes turned out flabby with a dull texture - frying would make them crispier I suppose.

:D yes I do too but thought I would have a go at doing my own for a change.
  • Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dear old Mums fishcake recipe was:

Mashed potatoes
    Tin of pilchards
    Squeeze of ketchup
    Dash of Worcester sauce
    Chopped parsley.

Then flour, egg and day glow bread crumbed and popped in the fridge to firm up. Fried for a couple of minutes on both sides to colour then popped in the oven for ten minutes to warm through.

Best fish cakes I've had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

me too :blush: nice with bit of mash potato :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potatoes and tinned tuna or pilchards with chopped parsley, bind with an egg. I've also used cooked whitefish and sometimes cooked smoked haddock. I don't bother with breadcrumbs, just dust with flour and then fry. The ratio of potato to fish is, I suppose down to personal preference - I tend to think of how many tatties I'd have boiled on my plate with the portion of fish.
    If I feel in need of some extra "fishiness" I add a tin of anchovies to the mix.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often use leftover bread or crackers instead of potatoes, can or cans of salmon, depending on the size of the can, dill, pepper, minced onion, a spoon of capers plus an egg and a little milk to bind. I might also chop in a little celery and/or carrot depending on how ambitious I'm feeling. Fishcakes are like meatloaf: flexible and easily adapted to what's on hand.

Whatever goes in the mix, I find it works best if I mix in the morning and pan fry or bake thirty minutes or so before serving.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like shrike I just dust with flour then fry (in butter) in batches. If using leftover mash, I add a tbsp of flour and some egg so they aren't too sloppy. If using freshly cooked potato, I don't add any milk or butter and I don't over mash as I personally like a bit of bite. You also want to chill in the fridge for a good while before cooking, or even pop them in the freezer.

It's easy to underestimate the amount of seasoning needed. I usually add a couple of handfuls of finely chopped capers, or gherkins if I have no capers. Lots of white pepper too and whatever fresh herbs I have - parsley or coriander.

If cooking from frozen, I fry till golden then pop them in the oven for 10 mins or so.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone :) I shall have another go at making my own and I shall take heed of all your tips and suggestions.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for cheap frozen ones with mash and Parsley sauce
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Roni_J wrote: »
    My dear old Mums fishcake recipe was:

Mashed potatoes
    Tin of pilchards
    Squeeze of ketchup
    Dash of Worcester sauce
    Chopped parsley.

Then flour, egg and day glow bread crumbed and popped in the fridge to firm up. Fried for a couple of minutes on both sides to colour then popped in the oven for ten minutes to warm through.

Best fish cakes I've had.
    :p I intend to try these some day soon :p
    Thanks to Roni and your precious mum's recipe
  • Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :p I intend to try these some day soon :p
    Thanks to Roni and your precious mum's recipe

If you want to be authentic you need to spend an hour removing every bit of skin and bone from the pilchards. She was very fussy my Mum when it came to preparing fish and meat.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Roni_J wrote: »
    If you want to be authentic you need to spend an hour removing every bit of skin and bone from the pilchards. She was very fussy my Mum when it came to preparing fish and meat.
    Awwww Roni-J - I will do that as best as I can - with you both in mind x