My house can't function normally without free supermarket carrier bags

Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since the charge for all bags started my household is struggling to live without free carrier bags. We used to always have a pile of about 50 sitting in the kitchen and now there is never any.

Taking may sandwiches to work I need to throw them in a bag, now I can never find one!!

Cooked half a pizza and left half in the fridge, no carrier bag to wrap it up in!!

Went to swimming, used to always take 3 carrier bags for the wet stuff after swim, now no bags for wet stuff!!

Muddy trainers or wellies, now no carrier bags to put them in!!

It might be good for the environment, but how am I meant to cope with no bags!!

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think bags are still free at Sainsbury............I've got a bagful of bags in my kitchen

I've got another bagful of those free bags that you find around the fruit and veg aisles.......I pick up handfuls every now and then. Use them for keeping things in the fridge in and things that I've opened like cold meats and such
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Since the charge for all bags started my household is struggling to live without free carrier bags. We used to always have a pile of about 50 sitting in the kitchen and now there is never any.

Taking may sandwiches to work I need to throw them in a bag, now I can never find one!!

Cooked half a pizza and left half in the fridge, no carrier bag to wrap it up in!!

Went to swimming, used to always take 3 carrier bags for the wet stuff after swim, now no bags for wet stuff!!

Put your coin jar to use lol
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're still free everywhere in my town. I'm over-run :p
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Go to Iceland, Peter Andre does
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im dreading it in England when it starts. I hoard them in the kitchen drawer for bin bags, books etc. Bloody nuisance I will have to buy bags for life for the shopping-and bin bags for the bins. Costly!!!!! All this guff about carrier bags being bad for the environment is rubbish! They are biodegradable now, and when being made are a byproduct of making diesel and petrol.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free bags in Waitrose. Not available to the poor though.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have so many bags I end up chucking half of them away. I'll take bags when it's my fortnightly shop but always have to buy bags when I do an adhoc shop because I never carry any on me.

ETA: I live in Wales where the charge has been in place for a while now.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think bags are still free at Sainsbury............I've got a bagful of bags in my kitchen

I've got another bagful of those free bags that you find around the fruit and veg aisles.......I pick up handfuls every now and then. Use them for keeping things in the fridge in and things that I've opened like cold meats and such

I wish I still had a bagful.

The law changed in Scotland a few months ago and its now a minimum 5p charge in every shop.

Spend 3 quid in the pound shop, give the girl a tenner at the till and you get £6.95 change!

Fish and chip shops, local Asian shops, at least 5p, home bargains is 10p.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still free in Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco.

I regularly get about a dozen of them to use as bin liners for the bin I have in my living room.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    So not a Rufusrain thread then? :o:D

I am really confused about this ban. I am still having to supress eager supermarket cashiers from putting stuff in bags that I don't need. I came back from Tesco yesterday with two unsolicited and free carrier bags.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I still had a bagful.

The law changed in Scotland a few months ago and its now a minimum 5p charge in every shop.

Spend 3 quid in the pound shop, give the girl a tenner at the till and you get £6.95 change!

Fish and chip shops, local Asian shops, at least 5p, home bargains is 10p.

I'll sell you a stash of mine at 3p each
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I have so many bags I end up chucking half of them away. I'll take bags when it's my fortnightly shop but always have to buy bags when I do an adhoc shop because I never carry any on me.

ETA: I live in Wales where the charge has been in place for a while now.
    I know we had it for at least 3 years now. When I moved to Glasgow they just introduced it and everyone kept apologising for asking me to pay. I'd have look at them like they had a third head had it not been for the fact when I looking for a place to live up here they hadn't introduced it and looked At me like I had a third head because I asked "can I have a bag with that?" Lol
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    I don't like the free carrier bags, I had so many I couldn't get through them but didn't like throwing them away (I know that's odd).

Yet even now, even if I'm buying one item they automatically reach for a carrier bag and I'm forever saying I dont want one! I thought it would be the end of my odd pet hate when they started talking about charging but not for not unfortunately:(

On a happier note my local Tesco have a huge re-cycling carrier bag bin which I make good use of:)

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get that off my chest:)
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Go to Iceland, Peter Andre does

Iceland bags are every bin liner in my house! They're big and fit nicely in every bin.

Don't know what I'll do without them..... oh yes I do: PAY bags PAY for water to wash recycling that the council make money out of and if I don't do it I will have to PAY a fine. Seems like the whole outcome of someone's else's dictatorship is to force payments and forced labour against my will.

Yeah! Let's hear it for the liberal hippies!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually took a load of bags to the charity shop last week . Since now the supermarkets charge for them the shop has to pay or rely on donations.
    Personally I've a pull along bag now, so I didn't need the plastic ones but if I do get them I'm intent on giving them to the cancer research shop.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this earlier this week as I had to spend 15p on bags from M&S and superdrug. It's unusual for me to carry any bags with me that would be big enough to fit all the things I had bought, I thought about a pull along but it's not practical at work. I do but bags for life but leave them in my car or in the house. I think I'll just have to take it on the chin and put aside a little extra for bags when I go on my spontaneous shopping trips.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the shops charge for bags it's a good idea to get your own back by removing every bit of surplus packaging and leaving it at the checkout.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Find alternatives that are more environmentally friendly.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member

Taking may sandwiches to work I need to throw them in a bag, now I can never find one!!!!
    Get a lunchbox?

Put on a plate and cover with foil/cling.
    Wring them out well, and wrap in towel and put in ordinary gym bag.
    Just recycle existing carriers for this. After using to carry muddy shoes put carrier in a dry place till the mud dries, shake it out, and the carrier is good to go again.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell you, the co op aren't half tight with their carrier bags and have been for the last couple of years. You are lucky to find a loose one at the end of the till when you ay for you're shopping. not only that, the cashier begrudgingly offers to give them to you as they are scanning you items through.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Find alternatives that are more environmentally friendly.

Why should we? That's just your opinion forced on other against their will and you see nothing wrong with doing that.

If it isn't the anti smoking Nazis it now the Hippy Nazis barking out orders.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Why should we? That's just your opinion forced on other against their will and you see nothing wrong with doing that.

If it isn't the anti smoking Nazis it now the Hippy Nazis barking out orders.

No-one is forcing you to do anything.
    Buy 1,000 carrier bags if you want, and use them to your heart's content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    No-one is forcing you to do anything.
    Buy 1,000 carrier bags if you want, and use them to your heart's content.

Am I mean for saying one use might for him to pop it over his head and tie at the neck? :p
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is your life as you know it seriously going to stop without free supermarket bags!!!

Supermarkets are within their rights to charge for bags. You actually have choices here a) stump up the 5p per bag that some supermarkets charge, so maybe 40p to 50p per week on bags to fill the requirements you have b) shop in a different supermarket that does not charge for bags eg Tesco's c) purchase reusable trainers bags, lunch boxes etc so you are not reliant on supermarket bags.

Given that there are serious life threatening issues in the world such as disease, poverty, war etc forgive me if I don't take your 'problem' too seriously.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to get online shopping deliveries and no matter which supermarket I use, my shopping comes in an abundance of plastic bags - with many often holding a single item.

It would be interesting to know how supermarkets will charge online, as the customer - if selecting their shopping delivery with bags - has no say in how many the warehouse pickers will use.