Doc Martin (Part 10 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone recognize that when DM was trying to justify his perspective on LG receptionist duties he used the exact same stumbling speaking pattern as when he accused her of stalking him !! Do you think he acts like this when he is caught blind sided by one of his ridiculous assertions / assumptions?

Luckily for him she just walked away this time, haha

Also what about when LG asks him "Is that good?" when he finally tells her about the 2 month extension - he just walks off / ignores her, and who knocks on a door that your partner has just walked through especially if you have something on your mind to discuss with them - weird. Wonder if they edited that bit out as would have been interesting.

What about when they arrive at the wake and have that spat about leaving - what is it really all about? Are they talking about the wake or Portwenn? Why does LG get so upset about the phrase "fending" ? It's like she realises that without DM she really can't cope but is definitely trying to prove / show otherwise.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunanglais wrote: »
    Did anyone recognize that when DM was trying to justify his perspective on LG receptionist duties he used the exact same stumbling speaking pattern as when he accused her of stalking him !! Do you think he acts like this when he is caught blind sided by one of his ridiculous assertions / assumptions?

Luckily for him she just walked away this time, haha

Also what about when LG asks him "Is that good?" when he finally tells her about the 2 month extension - he just walks off / ignores her, and who knocks on a door that your partner has just walked through especially if you have something on your mind to discuss with them - weird. Wonder if they edited that bit out as would have been interesting.

What about when they arrive at the wake and have that spat about leaving - what is it really all about? Are they talking about the wake or Portwenn? Why does LG get so upset about the phrase "fending" ? It's like she realises that without DM she really can't cope but is definitely trying to prove / show otherwise.

Here is a definition I found for the word "fend". Maybe that is why she was defensive/offended:
    dialect British : to make an effort : struggle
    Maybe she thought that Chris was saying it is going to be a stuggle for her to cope with the baby by herself. Whereas she doesn't think it wil be the struggle for her that she thinks he is implying. Just an idea. I don't know really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, also she starts back at school after 6 weeks - she can't even cope with the receptionist job and DM is there / available - how is she going to manage a school and have no-one to help her at home at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know you did the fan poll! :cool: I think tuesday would be too soon also. What do you mean while the show is on Wednesdays?
    I think she means on Wednesdays just for the duration of the series, then it would go back to Thursdays ;) I think Tuesday is too soon also, but I'm fine with either Wed or Thur. :cool: The days all come just as quickly! :rolleyes:

It's either DR or myself that does the poll. Me at the moment as DR is snowed under at work.
    Yes, I meant do it on Wedsnesday as the show is on Monday. People don't seem fussed so I'll stick to Thursday. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Of course, also she starts back at school after 6 weeks - she can't even cope with the receptionist job and DM is there / available - how is she going to manage a school and have no-one to help her at home at all?

Well,l that's the whole thing about Louisa. She seems to think she is really capable, and for the most part she is, but usually it ends up that she needs help. I expect she will realize how helpful DM is to her. I like how he seems to be behind the scenes helpful. He notices everything about her. Once school starts it will be interesting to see how he handles things without hurting her feelings too much.

Personally I feel it is just going to show that physically they can both manage on their own, which he pregnancy sort of showed, but that emotionally neither one of them is happy without the other.

I dont want either to change their personality. I like her niceness and emotions and I love his non-emotional detachment, but caring personality. His outbursts are mostly frustration at how people dont look after themselves properly.

Cannot wait till next episode. Will hate it when series is over again though.

I was hoping for a longer scene with Chris and DM though. He and Penhale seem to be the only ones really happy for the Doc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Here is a definition I found for the word "fend". Maybe that is why she was defensive/offendeddialect British : to make an effort : struggleMaybe she thought that Chris was saying it is going to be a stuggle for her to cope with the baby by herself. Whereas she doesn't think it wil be the struggle for her that she thinks he is implying. Just an idea. I don't know really.
    To fend to oneself definitely carries the implication of a struggle of some sort and Chris Parsons was implying that Louisa would find it hard to cope without the Doc - so no wonder that she was offended:D:D
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we have here is that DM is a neatnick and a stickler for cleanliness. LG is, I hate to say it, not organized, doesn't plan too far ahead, no spare diapers on hand, for a nursing mother not enough milk or nutritous food on hand. The village women should have come to her aid. One question I have is that just before she gave birth, she was in an auto accident hitting a large boulder in Tommy's taxi. How could she have come out of that without whiplash or back injuries?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    What we have here is that DM is a neatnick and a stickler for cleanliness. LG is, I hate to say it, not organized, doesn't plan too far ahead, no spare diapers on hand, for a nursing mother not enough milk or nutritous food on hand. The village women should have come to her aid. One question I have is that just before she gave birth, she was in an auto accident hitting a large boulder in Tommy's taxi. How could she have come out of that without whiplash or back injuries?

Seatbelts and headrests are compulsory in UK cars - plus it is the land of Portwenn;);)
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LG is, I hate to say it, not organized, doesn't plan too far ahead, no spare diapers on hand, for a nursing mother not enough milk or nutritous food on hand. The village women should have come to her aid.

That is exactly why I love Louisa and also why she is funny. Obviously she needs help with the baby. She gets it done, though. She got Morwenna in right away to do the receptionist duties. "I honestly think she would do a very good job." No she doesn't. And you can see that LG doesn't believe a word that she is saying to DM.

I think in the US she would have been examined by a doctor to check for tears and would probably have been looked at for any injuries from the car wreck. I suspect the same would have happened in the UK as well. It's just the PW effect.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    That is exactly why I love Louisa and also why she is funny. Obviously she needs help with the baby. She gets it done, though. She got Morwenna in right away to do the receptionist duties. "I honestly think she would do a very good job." No she doesn't. And you can see that LG doesn't believe a word that she is saying to DM.

I think in the US she would have been examined by a doctor to check for tears and would probably have been looked at for any injuries from the car wreck. I suspect the same would have happened in the UK as well. It's just the PW effect.

All through series 4, Louisa was always saying that she could manage, that she didn't need anyone's help. I knew she was going to regret those words. Also, I wonder who's cooking? The Doc or Louisa? I thought it would be interesting if the villagers brought them food, at least for the first few weeks, because then they could really be nosy and totally get on the Doc's last nerve, especially since they were there "just to help out.":rolleyes:

As far as the accident with the taxi, what GriffinStar wrote in her fanficition was so believeable. Louisa was having a wee because her waters broke when she hit the front seat not because she just needed to go. I don't think many pregnant women would have walked away so easily from a wreck like that outside the PW effect.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have to remember that Louisa's school term just ended and she just got over being really sick! She probably thought she had at least 2 more weeks and was going to get everything ready. (usually, you get a lot of things you need at baby shower, but looks like that didn't happen!). After all...this is a t.v. show in the magical land of Portwenn! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes is so crazy! I read somewhere that when they were filming DM and he had to wear those lovely pajamas, he was running around outside in front of the fans! We need Martin Clunes here in America! I mean, Jim Carrey has gone bodmin, if you saw the you-tube video of him expressing his love for the much younger actress, Emma Stone! Creepy!
    You can't have him. He's all ours!!! :p

Oh, please can't we just borrow him? :p. I promise we'll return him in good condition! ;);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    As far as the accident with the taxi, what GriffinStar wrote in her fanficition was so believeable. Louisa was having a wee because her waters broke when she hit the front seat not because she just needed to go. I don't think many pregnant women would have walked away so easily from a wreck like that outside the PW effect.;)

Ah, the magic of Fanfic, where all wrongs can be righted, mysteries solved, and questions answered. :)

It's always such fun to come up with solutions to the inconsistencies in the stories isn't it? ;) Just like solving a puzzle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Louisa's just had a baby! She's nursing, changing diapers and trying to help DM with a job she's never done before! You all know that when you have a baby, that's all you do is take care of that baby 24/7. I don't think I got out of my pajamas for the 1st month! :mad: (new mother, cranky!)
    And you're right, I don't know how she's going to be headmistress with no help at home! :eek:
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have to remember that Louisa's school term just ended and she just got over being really sick! She probably thought she had at least 2 more weeks and was going to get everything ready. (usually, you get a lot of things you need at baby shower, but looks like that didn't happen!). After all...this is a t.v. show in the magical land of Portwenn! ;)

Are there baby showers in the UK ? We dont do them in Ireland at all .
    The pram makes me howl with laughter ,the old bockety thing is so daft looking ! I think the poor baby would be better off in a drawer !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Louisa's just had a baby! She's nursing, changing diapers and trying to help DM with a job she's never done before! You all know that when you have a baby, that's all you do is take care of that baby 24/7. I don't think I got out of my pajamas for the 1st month! :mad: (new mother, cranky!)
    And you're right, I don't know how she's going to be headmistress with no help at home! :eek:

She is lucky she at least got the 6 weeks off from work, what would she have done if she had the baby during school term and could have only taken the two weeks off?? (Is two weeks all they get in reality? That's absolutely nothing! :eek:) She may just have to rely on help from others in the village and DM himself! Maybe Mrs. Tishell could watch the baby....:eek::p
    Forum Member
    Are there baby showers in the UK ? We dont do them in Ireland at all .
    The pram makes me howl with laughter ,the old bockety thing is so daft looking ! I think the poor baby would be better off in a drawer !!

I didn't think they did baby showers in Europe. I always thought it was an American thing. I know for a fact that they don't do them in other countries like Italy for example. But maybe its catching on now!

I know that pram is so funny. You don't see them like that anymore! But we know the little guy gets a nice new one later on! :D
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think they did baby showers in Europe. I always thought it was an American thing. I know for a fact that they don't do them in other countries like Italy for example. But maybe its catching on now!

I know that pram is so funny. You don't see them like that anymore! But we know the little guy gets a nice new one later on! :D

We do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems that IMN will be popping up in Doctor Who again in the next few weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't know BG ( baby Glasson) get's a new stroller! :(. 1st the helicopter, now this!:cry: then, I accidentally stumbled across an article that told me stuff about next week's episode! Arrrrrr! Oh well, I'm not stopping' now. What else would I do? Get a life? Haha. :D:D
    Forum Member
    TxBelle wrote: »
    [/U][/B]
    We do?

oops, I should have specified! Sorry... but yes, in pictures from filming we see he gets a nice new stroller later on! He looks really cute in it too! :D

Didn't mean for it to be a spoiler!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is lucky she at least got the 6 weeks off from work, what would she have done if she had the baby during school term and could have only taken the two weeks off?? (Is two weeks all they get in reality? That's absolutely nothing! :eek:) She may just have to rely on help from others in the village and DM himself! Maybe Mrs. Tishell could watch the baby....:eek::p

Bite your tongue, AB! Mrs. Tishell's might take off with that baby and never be seen again!! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    You may have already seen this and I missed it, but if not, this is kind of nice as far as ratings. :)

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/british-television/itv/doc-martin-itv/doc-martin-ratings-rise-episode-series/93243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read where people have said they almost stopped watching season 4. But, I loved it. I thought it was so exciting. Yes, DM was grumpy (isn't he always?) however, he was torn about a lot of things. First, he was shocked about Louisa being pregnant, :eek:, and Louisa making it (abundantly clear) that she didn't want any help from DM! :(. And, he was torn about leaving LG and worried if he could get over his blood phobia so he could be a surgeon! :confused: not to mention leaving AJ and torn about BT, aka: bony trollop ( Edith). :eek:
    But, whenever the chips where down, and there was even a hint that LG was in trouble, I never saw anyone run so fast through that village (running into cars, knocking down kegs) to get to Louisa. :p. Sorry, you guy's have probably been through all of this. Just my 2 cents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very few people have baby showers in Australia. They are seen as a bit mercenary.
This discussion has been closed.