Options

Dog pens

andmoreagainandmoreagain Posts: 662
Forum Member
✭✭
We're getting a puppy in 4 weeks. We have been looking at puppy pens for night time and when we're not in the house. The fabric ones look nicer but will a puppy chew through these? We want to create a nice, comfortable and safe area for the puppy to be in. Anyone got any experience with these?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We crate trained some of ours and will be doing the same with next. Mollie being too big for a crate (we couldn't house one big enough) we made the hallway hers by putting lino on floor and tiles on walls then put her basket and toys in there when we needed to go out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Yes, your puppy will more than likely chew through a fabric pen. Our dog Molly is 11 months now, and sleeps in our room. However, she spent the first three months of her nighttimes in a purpose built non-fabric pen that was in our bedroom. The trick is to get your puppy used to the pen right from the start. Expect a couple of sleepless nights, but after that, your puppy should settle down pretty quickly.

You’re in for a wonderful time.

P. S. Try to tire your puppy out before bed time.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a fabric "house" for Violet (standard wire-haired dachshund) to sleep in over night and to be put in when she was napping through the day. This worked very well as she never made a sound in the night or went to the toilet (my goodness that girl can put a cork in it). However she chewed and tried to destroy everything in the house at dachshund level so I never had a moment peace to myself. So I invested in a pen that is about 5 foot by 3 so I could put her in to play if I couldn't give her my full attention, again this worked very well. I then got Nell (another standard wire) and put them both in there to sleep at night but I never needed to use it for play time as they played with each other rather than trying to destroy my house:D. They are both grown out of this now but I have used it to sleep my afghan puppy Maisie at night so she didn't get herself into trouble with the adult affies and she still goes in it to have her tea.

There is rarely no-one at home so the pen has never been used to house a dog throughout the day. Our large conservatory is the dog's room so they are all in there if the house is empty on the rare occasion that it is.

Edit: Sorry meant to say that it is a metal pen with a thick plastic base.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're getting a puppy in 4 weeks. We have been looking at puppy pens for night time and when we're not in the house. The fabric ones look nicer but will a puppy chew through these? We want to create a nice, comfortable and safe area for the puppy to be in. Anyone got any experience with these?

I bought my inlaws a fabric one, it was destroyed in a week :D

We have 2 normal beds and a crate for our three in the kitchen
  • Options
    andmoreagainandmoreagain Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I think we'll go for the metal pen. I think it was just the look of the metal bars putting me off! So excited though can't wait for her to arrive!:D
  • Options
    statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i read that as dog penis :D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specs needed for statenisland :D