Ronnie Corbett to retire following health scare

2»

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently not. He denied it today. :D

Has his lovely wife Anne put her foot in it, lol? Mind you, if you'd seen the size of her compared with him, I wouldn't dare argue with her, tbh! IIRC, she towers over him. :D
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Has his lovely wife Anne put her foot in it, lol? Mind you, if you'd seen the size of her compared with him, I wouldn't dare argue with her, tbh! IIRC, she towers over him. :D

Judging by this photo, I wouldn't say she exactly towers over him but she is taller

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/10/article-1326198485977-0F6631B400000578-327669_636x391.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    And he lived up to it! He's only a stone's throw from his local. Often see him in the village - locals ignore him and let him have a life!

I hadn't realised he came from the Edinburgh region(?).
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I hadn't realised he came from the Edinburgh region(?).

He was born in Edinburgh and has a home in Gullane - a village about 15 miles east. He is a member of Muirfield Golf Course where the Open is regularly played.

(My profile says Edinburgh, though I live 12 miles outside of it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by this photo, I wouldn't say she exactly towers over him but she is taller

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/10/article-1326198485977-0F6631B400000578-327669_636x391.jpg

Perhaps it's because I always see her as having such a big personality. She's a performer in her own right but gave much of it up for Ronnie. Being very diddy myself, Izzy, when you're considerably under 5ft, it feels like everyone towers over you! :D

ETA: He could've been standing on a box there, y'know! ;-):p

Contrary to my comments earlier, it's Anne who seems to have now denied Ronnie's packing it in: :)

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/what-s-on/ronnie-corbett-s-wife-not-goodnight-from-him-1-3342386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    He was born in Edinburgh and has a home in Gullane - a village about 15 miles east. He is a member of Muirfield Golf Course where the Open is regularly played.

(My profile says Edinburgh, though I live 12 miles outside of it)

I've heard of Gullane, thats in East Lothian I think. I'm not much interested in golf, although I pass my towns golf club when walking along the canal path nearby (it being on the other side of the canal). I'm closeish to Edinburgh but not quite as close as you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's because I always see her as having such a big personality. She's a performer in her own right but gave much of it up for Ronnie. Being very diddy myself, Izzy, when you're considerably under 5ft, it feels like everyone towers over you! :D

ETA: He could've been standing on a box there, y'know! ;-):p

Contrary to my comments earlier, it's Anne who seems to have now denied Ronnie's packing it in: :)

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/what-s-on/ronnie-corbett-s-wife-not-goodnight-from-him-1-3342386

Thats true enough, I stand corrected then. Out of interest (sorry to go slightly off topic here), have you read Warwick Davis' biography? he started an agency for especially short people. Its an interesting read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats true enough, I stand corrected then. Out of interest (sorry to go slightly off topic here), have you read Warwick Davis' biography? he started an agency for especially short people. Its an interesting read.

No, but I love Warwick Davis. I've seen him interviewed a number of times and obviously seen some of his work. I think I heard something about his agency in one of his interviews. I should add that I don't have dwarfism...just very titchy. Always say that sizeist jokes go right over my head! :D

I think one of the lovely things about Ronnie C. is that it's often a surprise to people, how tiny he is, because he's built his career around other things and his height hasn't been the main point of attention for him.

Warwick Davis would have also made a good actor irrespective of his height but perhaps, in the early stages, his dwarfism might have been a motivating factor for getting work in the entertainment industry...you'll know more than me, having read his book.

Both very intelligent men.

Might check out the book, Izzy.

Anyway, I'm pleased if Ronnie's not retiring. Might just be reconsidering how he paces his work schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I love Warwick Davis. I've seen him interviewed a number of times and obviously seen some of his work. I think I heard something about his agency in one of his interviews. I should add that I don't have dwarfism...just very titchy. Always say that sizeist jokes go right over my head! :D

I think one of the lovely things about Ronnie C. is that it's often a surprise to people, how tiny he is, because he's built his career around other things and his height hasn't been the main point of attention for him.

Warwick Davis would have also made a good actor irrespective of his height but perhaps, in the early stages, his dwarfism might have been a motivating factor for getting work in the entertainment industry...you'll know more than me, having read his book

Both very intelligent men.

Might check out the book, Izzy.

Yes, originally his nana responded to a call for short people to play Ewoks in a Star Wars movie in the early 80s - thats how it started.

If your interested, I published a review about Warwick's book you can read here:- http://www.ciao.co.uk/Size_Matters_Not_The_Extraordinary_Life_Career_of_Warwick_Davis_Warwick_Davis__Review_6114526
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RONNIE CORBETT's wife Anne has denied he is retiring from TV. At the weekend she was quoted as saying the 83-year-old would be retiring after a recent health scare, which turned out to be an inflamed gall bladder. Now she had denied the report, saying it 'sound[ed] like he has died, that his career is over, which is absolutely not the case. I am fxxxxxx furious.'

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2014/03/17/19797/its_not_goodnight_from_him_just_yet