Options

Are Huskies becoming the new status dogs?

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the trouble with huskies is that it isn't recommended to let them off leads, which makes it hard to give them sufficient exercise. In fact, it is virtually impossible anyway, as they will run forever.

They don't guard, and are generally very friendly - but they are deadly hunters.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that people have also mentioned Akita's. One of those attacked my Auntie and Uncle's old terrier type dog last year when they were out walking it, my Uncle had to hit the Akita with a stick to get it off and the owners then had the cheek to have a got at him for it and threatened to report him to RSPCA...

The appeal of Huskies is obvious, they are stunningly beautiful animals and have an almost other worldly look about them. But they are first and foremost working dogs, bread to pull sledges through several feet of snow in Siberia. I doubt most of these new owners could even find Siberia on a map...

People thinking of getting a dog should do their research and look at which breed is best for them and best suits their lifestyle.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    I actually have two 19 year old chav trackie boys as pets - it started with one, but I thought he was lonely as he made a lot of noise and kept urinating up the bus stop, so I got him another for company. I avoided a female as I was scared they'd breed before I had a chance to have them spayed.

They do not make good pets. I hoped they would encourage me to do some much needed exercise, but once at the end of the road, by the Wetherspoons, they won't go any further. I've not had the need to pick up poop in a plastic bag, but always take some in my pocket as they come in useful for the vomit. Which usually happens on the way home from Wetherspoons. I cannot get them used to traffic - they merely shout at drivers through the open window and if off the lead, run in front of oncoming traffic. They're not even a good deterrent against night time burglars, as they are usually out thieving themselves. I've tried to get them to bury their KFC bones in the garden, but they merely toss them on the lawn.

The most important thing is to get them both neutered as soon as possible.

That should calm them down a lot and, let's face it, you don't want them breeding.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Can't remember the last time I saw a Husky, certainly isn't an 'issue' around here.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Sadly they are status dogs. It's usually the unemployed who have them which is surprising as they are not cheap.

These types of dogs cannot be exercised off the lead as they will just run and run. That's what they are born to do. A man In our village allowed his 16 year old son to get one. He walked it for about a week and then the novelty wore off. The dog was so lively but so bored that it destroyed the whole conservatory, dug massive craters in the garden, ate every boot and shoe in the house and they had to have very high fencing put all round their large garden because it kept escaping.

The father gave it away after about 3 months and he was glad to see the back of it.

My daughter had a tutor at college who bred them. However, she lived on an isolated farm near woodland and she exercised them for miles every day in the woods in wheeled sleds. They also lived outside in runs.

Was that because it was a husky or a puppy?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen plenty of Husky type puppies recently. Usually with a couple of chav girls with the oiled pony tail hair pushing prams about.
    All dogs are lovely when they are puppies. Well apart from my sisters Rottweiler puppy which tried to playfully bite everything in reach.
    My sister went out of her way to get awkward dogs at one time. Rottweiler then a boxer. Which was completely barmy.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that because it was a husky or a puppy?

It was about 9 months old when they got it. It was the last of the litter which a couple down the road had bred. They are the muckiest looking couple of layabouts you ever saw.

I've had dogs all my life and only ever had one which chewed a wooden clog of mine. Maybe she thought it was a wooden stick!! No dog has ever caused damage to our belongings or furnishings because they are exercised, have access to a fair sized garden most of the day and are stimulated. Dogs are only destructive if they are bored out of their brains.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Very true, and if you value your garden you are stuffed as they love digging, and a husky is a lot happier if you have more then 1

The dog I mentioned earlier tunnelled under a wooden fence and ran 6 miles in the time it took it's owners to realise it was missing. Some people 2 villages away trapped it in an outbuilding and luckily it had a contact number on.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like these dogs shouldn't really be allowed as pets in this country.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It was about 9 months old when they got it. It was the last of the litter which a couple down the road had bred. They are the muckiest looking couple of layabouts you ever saw.

I've had dogs all my life and only ever had one which chewed a wooden clog of mine. Maybe she thought it was a wooden stick!! No dog has ever caused damage to our belongings or furnishings because they are exercised, have access to a fair sized garden most of the day and are stimulated. Dogs are only destructive if they are bored out of their brains.

Yeah... i'm kinda not surprised that a young dog was out of control.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would take years to do. The best thing they can do is make it a law to have your dog on a lead in a public place and an age limit on having/walking a dog. I was horrified to see a girl about 10yrs old being dragged down the road by 2 staffies she was walking yesterday. What was her mum thinking.[/QUOTE]

Lucky she wasn't eaten alive and become yet another gruesome statistical, far too common death, at the teeth of these killer Staffie pit bull terrier type dogs.

They all need to be banned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKNikey wrote: »
    It would take years to do. The best thing they can do is make it a law to have your dog on a lead in a public place and an age limit on having/walking a dog. I was horrified to see a girl about 10yrs old being dragged down the road by 2 staffies she was walking yesterday. What was her mum thinking.[/QUOTE]

Lucky she wasn't eaten alive and become yet another gruesome statistical, far too common death, at the teeth of these killer Staffie pit bull terrier type dogs.

They all need to be banned.

No uneducated people need to stop giving them a bad name and should be banned from commenting about them. You see a staff attack in the news and jump on the bandwagon of them all being aggressive.
    Have u actually spent time around a staff and seen that they are caring, loving pets in the right hands.

And as for your earlier post of people owning them being low class plebs that show a real mature person. I'm sure your really high class calling yourself UKNikey.
    I'm 26 yrs old have a very good job as does my partner, have a mortgage and a couple of nice cars and guess what I've got a staff. he cries to get in the same room as my children when one of them is crying over something because he likes to see if they ok. Because they are caring pets.

So do you want to call me a lowclass pleb??! Go do research before saying they need to be banned.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think this is true.

I've seen a lot more malamutes etc.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't noticed any more than usual. But what does make me smile is seeing owners walking their husky types when it's snowing even in the middle of the night. That's true understanding of your dog.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i spent this afternoon with my friend`s huskies [these two] are the most chilled out and loving dogs i know.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed huskys increasing in popularity too, does anyone remember the tv show 'The Littlest Hobo', I used to turn on the telly ostensibly for my young son to watch it but always sat and watched too :blush:
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huskies used to be quite rare at one time, due to them being expensive and needing a lot of exercise, but around here at least there seems to have been a surge in popularity over the past year or so and everywhere I go I see someone with a Husky on a lead.

My job involves me travelling around my area a fair bit and it's really noticeable how many there are around now, indeed there are three on my street alone. This is going go sound bad but I can't help but notice that the vast majority of these new owners seem to be young men in track suits and baseball caps, the kind who up until recently would probably have had a Staffie instead.

There have been campaigns to try and change the image of Staffies recently, and I wonder if this is starting to get through to people? They are a very loving and loyal breed when brought up properly. Huskies although beautiful to look at, are working dogs and need a hell of a lot of exercise and ideally a large garden to run about in. I'm concerned that people are taking these animals in without thinking of the care that they need...

Is this the new "dog fad" amongst young, working class men?:confused:

I think they are. Unfortunately most people who own huskies and malamutes have no idea of their requirements. The dog shelters around here are full of them :(
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The most important thing is to get them both neutered as soon as possible.

That should calm them down a lot and, let's face it, you don't want them breeding.

The chavs? Quite right! :D
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with Huskies but we had a wonderful Staffie. She was an absolutely beautiful dog with a pedigree full of champions. The whole village loved her.

She was the most sweet natured, loving dog you'd ever meet and we still miss her. It upsets me that people now seem to think Staffies are Pit Bulls when they are definitely not, and they don't deserve a bad name as they are lovely dogs.

If I could have a dog now I'd go up to the Dogs Trust and adopt a Staffie.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said this on another thread tonight. I despair too much of the human race especially when they F up with animals and children.>:(
    Personally I could never ever pull out cash for any pedigree dog or any animal when there are so many beautiful dogs etc. in animal rescue centres desperate for homes.:(
    Huskies are working dogs and as usual they too will be abused for the sake of "Keeping up with the Jones's" , breed preference, adolescent bloody kudos or whatever! I propose that everyone spend some time working for a rescue centre.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Said the same thing in other dog threads...

The old style dog license wasn't really much use but it could be.

What they should do is create a system where you need to apply for a dog license before you can buy a dog.
    The process would involve getting an application, which'd come with a bunch of leaflets about which dogs are best for different environments, which dogs present the greatest risk and what owning a dog is likely to involve and, importantly, EVERY adult in the household where the dog was to live would have to sign the application (which could be checked against the electoral register) to say they had read all the associated material and understood it.

Once you've done that, you get your dog license and you can present it to the breeder or shelter where you plan to get your dog.

Lastly, there'd be a system where a dog license could have "points" applied to it in the same way that a driving license does.
    Get caught letting your dog crap on the pavement: 3 points.
    Dog loose in the street: 3 points.
    Upheld complaint about antisocial behaviour of the dog: 6 points.
    Dog acting in a threatening manner: 6 points.
    Dog attacks a human being: 12 points.
    Etc.

12 points and you get the dog confiscated and an automatic life-ban from further dog ownership.
    You would be allowed to appeal the ban if you wanted to, at your own expense.

You're never going to stop people who're determined to own a daft dog from doing so but that sort of system would, at least, make people who just don't realise what's involved more aware and, importantly, it'd ensure that every adult in a household understood what's involved in owning a dog and was prepared to accept the responsibility and it'd assure breeders that prospective owners had some idea of what they were letting themselves in for.

What's more, if you wanted to take punitive measures against unfit dog owners, you've now got a signed document which says that they've read a bunch of advice about dog ownership so "I didn't realise what'd be involved" excuses wouldn't cut it any more.
    It's a better idea than the old style license.

It might not solve ALL the problem owners and problem dogs, but would probably help in the right direction.

A license to breed might be a good idea too, though then you might get "underground" breeding centres, though most people with a dog license would surely not go near one as the license would come with education about selecting and keeping a dog.

Or am I just taking this a bit too far now...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No uneducated people need to stop giving them a bad name and should be banned from commenting about them. You see a staff attack in the news and jump on the bandwagon of them all being aggressive.
    Have u actually spent time around a staff and seen that they are caring, loving pets in the right hands.

And as for your earlier post of people owning them being low class plebs that show a real mature person. I'm sure your really high class calling yourself UKNikey.
    I'm 26 yrs old have a very good job as does my partner, have a mortgage and a couple of nice cars and guess what I've got a staff. he cries to get in the same room as my children when one of them is crying over something because he likes to see if they ok. Because they are caring pets.

So do you want to call me a lowclass pleb??! Go do research before saying they need to be banned.

Oh the irony :D The status dog, job, house, cars :D Aggressive owner of said aggressive dogs.

You couldn't make it up ;-)

I rest my case M'Lord.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It's a better idea than the old style license.

It might not solve ALL the problem owners and problem dogs, but would probably help in the right direction.

A license to breed might be a good idea too, though then you might get "underground" breeding centres, though most people with a dog license would surely not go near one as the license would come with education about selecting and keeping a dog.

Or am I just taking this a bit too far now...

That's the thing, though, innit?

It's almost impossible to stop people from achieving their goals if they're determined enough but it's actually pretty easy to educate and/or deter people who're a bit naive or clueless so then you have to consider which course of action has the most merit.

I doubt there's been much study into this but, anecdotally (is that a word?), I've seen plenty of clueless dog owners around but I've really only seen a couple of people who I'd class as people who've deliberately bought vicious dogs.

I'd bet most people aren't deliberately buying "high-risk" dogs. They're just people who aren't aware of the responsibilities that come with different breeds so it seems like a licensing scheme which forced people to consider this stuff might have a positive effect without costing a fortune to implement or requiring an unfeasible amount of policing.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with Huskies but we had a wonderful Staffie. She was an absolutely beautiful dog with a pedigree full of champions. The whole village loved her.

She was the most sweet natured, loving dog you'd ever meet and we still miss her. It upsets me that people now seem to think Staffies are Pit Bulls when they are definitely not, and they don't deserve a bad name as they are lovely dogs.

If I could have a dog now I'd go up to the Dogs Trust and adopt a Staffie.

Real Pit Bulls have a very similar nature to Staffies.

Don't believe everything you read in the press.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh the irony :D The status dog, job, house, cars :D Aggressive owner of said aggressive dogs.

You couldn't make it up ;-)

I rest my case M'Lord.

How old are you? Your not very mature! I just get very angry when little girls think they know the world when they don't. I used to be your age once.

My dog is not aggressive. You need to do your research that pits and staffs are not the same. I used to be pathetic like you and think that staffs were killers until I got my dog as a puppy and trained him right. Why don't you go try and read a book on them after your shift at McDonald's.

I don't think you know what your thinking when you post but your clearly sooo narrow minded on these dogs it's quite sad,