Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am posting this on behalf of Gold listeners.

Hi Smooth listeners
    you may know that last week Smooth radio took over most of Gold radio frequencies on AM and DAB .also most of the presenters were removed.

Smooth is 'a relaxing music mix' Gold is mainly up tempo and rock and roll ,so very different. and had some great presenters with warm personalities.

With DAB radio we are being told there is MORE choice not less so there must be room for both stations. Gold with just local AM and Local DAB ( mainly in the midlands and south) had 1.3 million listeners.
    We are sure if Gold had national DAB coverage and local FM like smooth we would have many more listeners

WE would have support for smooth listeners if it was the other way around.

we hope you will support us in trying to get our presenters and frequencies back.
    Thanks for reading.

https://www.facebook.com/goldiessaynotothelocalgoldchanges

I love that there's an opposing page "Support Smooth Radio and Dont let Gold Fans spoil it for us all." (10 likes at present).

Leicester Square will be taking these pages very seriously, of course.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »

So who is the "CUSTOMER"? Is it the listeners or the advertisers? Anyone who has ever worked in a customer facing environment will tell you "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" is the biggest load of nonsense ever written.

Ha! That's where John Lewis is going wrong!
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Listening this afternoon I heard Labi Siffre's "it must be love" folllowed by Simon and Garfunklel's "homeward bound".

It's been a long time since I've heard either of those two songs played on any radio station.

They have played the Siffre song to death for what seems weeks on end.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anorak , Good Ole Global slang - with what's been done to Gold ...............

Global slang?

Anorak is a term that has been used for decades - in fact I believe it was coined from the 60s pirate ship era.

Reports from a recent court case indicated that many at the BBC used it as a term to describe people waiting outside (not in positive terms) in the 70s and 80s.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luca wrote: »
    They have played the Siffre song to death for what seems weeks on end.

Good.

It's a great tune that I never get tired listening to.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anorak , Good Ole Global slang - with what's been done to Gold ...............

I understand the term anorak was actually started by those beloved pirates as a term of abuse for those odd types who'd hitch rides in their waterproofs on the supply tenders, to stand bobbing around in the North Sea yelling questions about jingles ;)
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    I understand the term anorak was actually started by those beloved pirates as a term of abuse for those odd types who'd hitch rides in their waterproofs on the supply tenders, to stand bobbing around in the North Sea yelling questions about jingles ;)

Ohhhh matey, you've brought back some memories...........then it was off to the local record fair to buy a rare early 60's vinyl demo for £350-00.........the version in the shops was priced at 6 shillings, but you can't beat having the rare promo copy on the original spiral "vertigo" record label!:):)
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Good.

It's a great tune that I never get tired listening to.

I did like the song, but Smooth have the knack of playing a classic track so many times, you eventually come to the point where you never want to hear it again.

Crying Laughing Loving Lying, for me, is the better (and bigger) hit song by Labi, but it must have failed their listener recognition testing procedures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It just means Global/Communicorp will now own the stations officially and Real and Smooth Ltd will cease to exist.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought the article explained it all :)

Global will take full control of the stations they are keeping - Real North West, North East, Scotland and South Wales, Smooth Scotland and Real XS Scotland while Communicorp take control of the stations they are buying - Capital Scotland and South Wales, Real Yorkshire and North Wales, Real XS Manchester and Smooth East Midlands, North West and North East.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    It just means Global/Communicorp will now own the stations officially and Real and Smooth Ltd will cease to exist.[/QUOTE

Basically less choice for the listener.

RIP Gold & Real.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP GMG. Global had control over Smooth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not many presenters have there own jingle IDS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma B still hasn't got her picture on Smooth website?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP GMG. Global had control over Smooth
    They have indeed been controlling Smooth for a while but officially it is still part of Real and Smooth Ltd well until midnight at least. Never sure why they were allowed to take control when they did as the hold separate was still going.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    It just means Global/Communicorp will now own the stations officially and Real and Smooth Ltd will cease to exist.

Win win win situation really. It's great for staff who no longer have to wonder of they'll have a job and when they'll be out the door. 22 months of uncertainty hanging over you is awful.

It's great for listeners who'll get a decent station with investment ploughed into it instead of a ship with no captain just drifting along.

It's great for adveftisers and of course great for Global who almost have a national brand apart from the jocks in the north and a few welshies who wouldn't listen anyway unless it was called llheart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Win win win situation really. It's great for staff who no longer have to wonder of they'll have a job and when they'll be out the door. 22 months of uncertainty hanging over you is awful.

It's great for listeners who'll get a decent station with investment ploughed into it instead of a ship with no captain just drifting along.

It's great for adveftisers and of course great for Global who almost have a national brand apart from the jocks in the north and a few welshies who wouldn't listen anyway unless it was called llheart.

Most of them went
  • Tazman1966Tazman1966 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    ....Win win win situation really. It's great for staff who no longer have to wonder of they'll have a job and when they'll be out the door. 22 months of uncertainty hanging over you is awful...

That's right. They don't have to wonder anymore. Their contracts weren't renewed!:(
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smooth are playing Paul Young Love of the Common People a lot at the moment. Can anyone else imagine a rap version of it?

Also, does anyone have any idea what The Carpenters Yesterday Once More is about? Its lyrics are very bizzare
    Forum Member
    Tazman1966 wrote: »
    That's right. They don't have to wonder anymore. Their contracts weren't renewed!:(
    In some cases perhaps but radio stations employ staff too. It's not just presenters who I feel least sorfy for in situations like this as they know the deal. They are all very experienced presenters who probably have very good contracts and other business interests. For members of staff that kind of uncertainty is not the norm but presenters are used to it.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread is running out of steam. asking about songs being played surely confirms it. Smooth like other Global stations will run its course, presenters will come and go and as they do we will all return with a gripe here and there,. From me good luck Smooth I think in its current form you will need it.
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great for staff who no longer have to wonder of they'll have a job and when they'll be out the door. 22 months of uncertainty hanging over you is awful.

It's great for advertisers and of course great for Global

As for the staff who've been fired (sorry, not had their contracts renewed, I really should know the business speak by now) they'll be really chuffed to have the uncertainty removed.

However, as long as its great for the advertisers and Global that's all that really matters eh?

Stuff the rest.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just put Smooth Radio on as I cannot sleep and wish to as soon as possible, only to be absolutely amazed to hear them playing I Want Your Sex by George Michael 4 times in a row!

What happened there? :o
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »
    As for the staff who've been fired (sorry, not had their contracts renewed, I really should know the business speak by now) they'll be really chuffed to have the uncertainty removed.

However, as long as its great for the advertisers and Global that's all that really matters eh?

Stuff the rest.

I notice you ignored the part about the listeners.

Actually when talking about the staff many will probably feel like a weight has been.lifted from them, even if they have been fired. Knowing if you have a job or not is better than wondering if and when. At first they'd feel sbit but then they'll get on with finding better jobs and will find out that they are better off and happier than they were. Sucess often comes after a fall.

They'll stop being bitter and will have moved on while people on here will still be arguing over the rotation of Michael Buble.