Options

The Tomorrow People - 08/01/14 E4

Comments

• Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite a powerful and disturbing episode. Seeing how some of them can get off on the pain caused by triggering their kill switches is an interesting twist.

We had a nice development showing an arc in Cora's leadership abilities and gaining more respect from the group and the kid certainly has a very impressive ability!

There was more development on Stephen's story as he seems to be gaining respect from his fellow Ultra agents. I can't help thinking that Jedekiah's ruthlessness in the way he treats the agents, is not very conducive to keeping them onside, though. I can't think of anything more likely to cause a mutiny :o

Also, I can't get my head around Jedekiah's girlfriend. How can they trust her with details of their operations against Ultra when she's literally in bed with Ultra and how come she can justfiy being in love with the guy who could condone what was done to the kid that she seems to have so much empathy for? :confused:

Any way, it seemed to be an extremely interesting episode, packed full of new developments and twists. I can kind of understand why people wouldn't like it, based on its unpleasantness, but I'm not sure how it could be considered boring...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was them I'd open a channel to Ultra that could be used to tip them off about bad Sups. They both agree that abusing powers is wrong, so they could work together to a degree. That said, when Ultra are chasing evil Sups they aren't chasing the good ones, so the good ones don't want to give too much help.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Blister wrote: »
    A lot of US shows suffer from this because they have to do over 20 episodes so some end up being filler.
    Yeah. As I have said before in this thread, they're really dragging it out too much for me. I may have to stop watching.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Blister wrote: »
    I hated the last episode, Rumble.
    Thought it was a good one - with Charlotte going Nuclear stopping Julian, who is a good baddie.

Liking Hilary too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously thought the shooting in last night's episode was another one of the show's seemingly endless ways to get John's top off! (not that I'm complaining)

I'm still enjoying this, Jedikiah is one of those brilliant smug, gets out of everything head of a major evil orginisation baddies. I like the idea of the little brother also having powers, it may have been obvious to some but i only guessed a few minutes before Stephen did
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I seriously thought the shooting in last night's episode was another one of the show's seemingly endless ways to get John's top off! (not that I'm complaining)

I'm still enjoying this, Jedikiah is one of those brilliant smug, gets out of everything head of a major evil orginisation baddies. I like the idea of the little brother also having powers, it may have been obvious to some but i only guessed a few minutes before Stephen did

The brother is obvious, but something the mother said "I've been shielding you for years" or something similar, little hints like that and the fact she turned up at the bridge just after the camera was stopped from falling, leads me to think it might be his mother who has the powers. If it is the brother starting to come out, would he be strong enough to block reading thoughts, something I would have thought might take years of practice, I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The brother is obvious, but something the mother said "I've been shielding you for years" or something similar, little hints like that and the fact she turned up at the bridge just after the camera was stopped from falling, leads me to think it might be his mother who has the powers. If it is the brother starting to come out, would he be strong enough to block reading thoughts, something I would have thought might take years of practice, I could be wrong though.

If the mum does have powers, would she not also be aware of Ultra and what they are doing to her kind too and want Stephen not to go anywhere near his Uncle? She must also know that she could pass her powers onto one/both her sons and talk to them about it before they become aware of them and how to use them. I thought she might have said something to Stephen last night, especially as he ruined her relationship. She must know there is something up with the amount of time he actually does spend in his house when he is not at school or work or with the Tomorrow People.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really starting to look forward to this show now, a complete turnaround from the first half of the season. Compare that to my other guilty pleasure, Beauty and the Beast, which has become a show I no longer recognise.

If they can TTP I'll actually be quite annoyed now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Very possible, although with regards to the brother being able to block thoughts straight off maybe it would work the same as Stephen who was able to stop time with little to no experience
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »

I like it too, especially the well-defined characters, and l'll be sticking with it to see what happens. That said, I still think that Alphas was better but that series was unfortunately ended prematurely.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really starting to look forward to this show now, a complete turnaround from the first half of the season. Compare that to my other guilty pleasure, Beauty and the Beast, which has become a show I no longer recognise.

If they can TTP I'll actually be quite annoyed now.

I totally agree I wasn't keen on the show at first but I'm really enjoying it now (apart from last weeks episode!) so I'd be gutted if it gets cancelled sadly this weeks US rating was very poor in comparison to what's it's had all season :(

I also agree with you regarding Beauty and the Beast it was my favourite new show last year but I've had to give it up this season it's got so bloody bad >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Pete isn't but the Brother could be.:o

I like Hilary - but telling tells, with the outcome for Astrid.:o - not nice.

Cara in rescue mode, was fun.:cool:
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    So Pete isn't but the Brother could be.:o

I like Hilary - but telling tells, with the outcome for Astrid.:o - not nice.

Cara in rescue mode, was fun.:cool:

...as in Hilary, the resident duplicitous biatch :o. I really hope she gets her comeuppance later on the series and l shall celebrate that event with some champagne when that happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's always the cute ones :(:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's misunderstood.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...as in Hilary, the resident duplicitous biatch :o
    Duplicitous? She's made her position pretty clear. Stephen is getting a golden ticket because of who his father was, so he can afford to be all magnanimous and ethical. It's clear that's not what the Ultra culture is, however, and their boss is all but looking for an excuse to have Hilary destroyed to promote Stephen. She's right to be in survival mode.

Although I think she underestimates how important Stephen is to Ultra. She seems to think it's just nepotism, because his uncle is their boss. She doesn't know it's the other way around: that Jedikiah wouldn't still be there without Stephen. Hence Stephen is all but untouchable, and her best play would be to support him, make herself indispensable to him, while undermining the other cadets. If she continues as she is, she'll wreck herself against him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one watching last night?

I assume the fact that Stephen could telepathically link with Cassandra was because he is a Synergist too, although he didn't know that until last night. I don't think they will manage to complete the whole story in Season One, as there are only 6 episodes left so hopefully there will be a Season Two.

I think it will get even more exciting now that Stephen knows his mum is a Tomorrow Person now too. I was thinking it may have been Stephen's dad's body in that lab with the infra-red light on, keeping his body on ice for further experimentation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    No one watching last night?

I assume the fact that Stephen could telepathically link with Cassandra was because he is a Synergist too, although he didn't know that until last night. I don't think they will manage to complete the whole story in Season One, as there are only 6 episodes left so hopefully there will be a Season Two.

I think it will get even more exciting now that Stephen knows his mum is a Tomorrow Person now too. I was thinking it may have been Stephen's dad's body in that lab with the infra-red light on, keeping his body on ice for further experimentation.

My thought too, which could explain his time stopping skill.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, well done to those who guessed it was Steven's mum who had the powers and not his brother. I kind of suspected it during this week's episode since he felt connected to Cassie and it was mentioned that both her parents had powers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well think that was the first "WTF?!" moment for me. For it to come this late in the season is a bit much!

But wouldn't that mean that his brother is similarly gifted?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum had affair with Founder, Cassie is his sister????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel9624 wrote: »
    Mum had affair with Founder, Cassie is his sister????

Good theory but Stephen's mum didn't look like she recognised the Founder when she went to Ultra. I think Cassandra and Stephen shared the telepathic link because they are both Synergists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Good theory but Stephen's mum didn't look like she recognised the Founder when she went to Ultra. I think Cassandra and Stephen shared the telepathic link because they are both Synergists.

That's my thinking.

Question, how old is everyone supposed to be. We've touched on it before but the flashbacks keep throwing me.

I'm starting to think John is like 30:o:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my thinking.

Question, how old is everyone supposed to be. We've touched on it before but the flashbacks keep throwing me.

I'm starting to think John is like 30:o:blush:

I think Stephen and Astrid are meant to be teenagers (in the same way the 'kids' from Grease were teenagers ;)) and Cara and John are maybe in their late teens/ early twenties?

Well I was certainly surprised it turned out to be the mum, i suppose it was rather obvious but still.

Good episode last night although there was something very Patsy Kensit about that Cassie girl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But wouldn't that mean that his brother is similarly gifted?
    Probably. He may be too young to break-out yet, but it'll be something to explore in future.

I'm disappointed that his mum didn't tell Stephen earlier. She must have known a great deal of what was going on. She must know what Ultra is about, and that her husband was a Sup, and that Stephen was showing signs of breaking out. So what's her game? Obviously she was lying low, but did she send Stephen into Ultra because she is secretly hunting for her husband?