Options

It is was the Public that got rid of Miller.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He did have the independent facts that she never housed her parents in her home claiming expenses.

She did house her parents in her home whilst claiming expenses, but she conveniently deemed them to be 'dependents', thereby negating any rule breaking. Although she still ripped off thousands of pounds from the taxpayers.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    What people? The public aren't interested.

It was the press getting revenge for Leveson that wielded their power.
    Not sure about that, nearly everyone I spoke to was sickened/ angry about Miller and everyone had an opinion.
    Easy to blame the press that's just a smokescreen to hide behind.
    Not all the public are so thick they cant work out an opinion of their own, you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    The hell it was! The medja got rid of her by constantly carping on about it. The public didn't give a stuff about it - unless I missed the mass demonstrations in every town in the country.

Her arrogant so-called apology didn't help matters and just made her look as though she thought that everyone else were fools who could be taken in by mealy mouthed apologies.

And Milliband needs to be really sure that his own house - and fellow Labour MP's houses - are in order, or all this will come back to bite him on his scrawny ass!

Cannot agree with that.People don't have to march to have an opinion on some thing, if they had marched it makes no difference to your stance that the anti Miller feeling was whipped up by the press.
    Nearly everyone I spoke to had a very definite opinion on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    I thought the really rich bit was Cameron having a go at Miliband for not calling for her resignation!

When will Miliband learn to take responsibility? ……………………... .....................................................................................................................................................................................For the Tory Party!
    ......:D
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    I thought the really rich bit was Cameron having a go at Miliband for not calling for her resignation!

When will Miliband learn to take responsibility? ……………………... .....................................................................................................................................................................................For the Tory Party!

Not a bit rich at all

Miliband has a history of calling for Tory resignations at a drop of a hat.
    Hunt, Clarke ,Mitchell
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Not a bit rich at all

Hunt, Clarke ,Mitchell

Wasn't he also calling for Vince Cable to resign last week?
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Not a bit rich at all

Hunt, Clarke ,Mitchell

He didnt want t call for her to go this time because he wouldve had to look to his own frontbench ....the Balls family for one.....who claimed even more than Miller did......it was a bandwagon that for this one occasion Miliband didnt jump on......
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Wasn't he also calling for Vince Cable to resign last week?

Well it wouldn't be the first time, he also wanted him sacked over the Murcoch issue.
    He certainly thinks it is part of his job to decide who should be in the Cabinet, when it suits.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member

Made me laugh Too!! :)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    The hell it was! The medja got rid of her by constantly carping on about it. The public didn't give a stuff about it - unless I missed the mass demonstrations in every town in the country.

Her arrogant so-called apology didn't help matters and just made her look as though she thought that everyone else were fools who could be taken in by mealy mouthed apologies.

And Milliband needs to be really sure that his own house - and fellow Labour MP's houses - are in order, or all this will come back to bite him on his scrawny ass!

I dont think its a good argument that because the werent mass demonstrations that the public didnt want her to go?Indeed when has there ever been mass public demonstrations over specific scandals for specific ministers?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like it was the press - getting back at the person who implemented the new press regulatory system.
    LostFool wrote: »
    I agree. if it had been any other MP it would have all blown over in a few days but the press wanted revenge for Leveson. Last week the press were claiming that Vince Cable had lost the taxpayer £2bn but they soon forgot about it when they got the chance to get rid of her over a few thousand pounds.

I'm not saying what she did was right but it all has to be put into context.

I disagree. That was the official Tory line about why she came under pressure but the press campaign had little to do with any empty revenge for Leveson. Anyway the Royal Charter was cooked up between the three party leaders, she had little to do with it. All polling showed public opinion was very much against the way she behaved and the press reflected that.

The official Tory line was also that she hadn't really done anything wrong, just an administrative error. Equally fallacious.

The story ran for days because the public reaction to MP expenses scandals remains universally hostile. It doesn't matter which MP it is, or what party. Other MPs have gone to prison for similar breaches, and as a Minister she breached Cameron's own Ministerial Code (something which strangely never seems to come into effect). Yet Miller was protected, her clear rule breaches were ignored or skirted around and the amount she had to repay dramatically reduced. She appeared to be getting off far too lightly and yet even so could barely manage to apologise as required. That was the cause of the reaction against her, nothing to do with any Leveson revenge.