Options

Couples with 30-50 years age difference

2»

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Do you honestly think that 2 consenting adults in a relationship together, is worse than an adult molesting/raping a child?

Where the hell did that come from?

I don't see any comparison with child rape being made in the OP's post.

This place just gets more and more bizarre by the day.

Edit: it appears the OP has done some editing of their own.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Consenting adults and all that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    How many times in your life have you seen that?
    Unless you're a butler in the Playboy Mansion, I'd guess the answer is actually "never".

My manager is married to a 27 year old woman. He's 44, and this is his third marriage. It's not much of a difference, and it really doesn't bother me, but it is something a lot of my co-worker were caught off guard by it.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    I'm not saying pedophilia is okay. It's cruelest thing to ever happen to a child, but at the same time I don't find it comfortable about a 70 year old man making out with a 20 something year old girl. It looks wrong on so many levels.

Why don't you try not thinking about it?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My manager is married to a 27 year old woman. He's 44, and this is his third marriage. It's not much of a difference, and it really doesn't bother me, but it is something a lot of my co-worker were caught off guard by it.

So the answer to my question is "never" then
    Thought as much.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I don't think I could stand dating someone 10 years younger or older than me, but each to their own

No, nor me. But if it works for other people then that's cool.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying pedophilia is okay. It's cruelest thing to ever happen to a child, but at the same time I don't find it comfortable about a 70 year old man making out with a 20 something year old girl. It looks wrong on so many levels.

What you really mean is ' I'm a seventy something decrepit old guy who fancies a twenty year old but have no chance with her so I'm going to label relationships with an age gap as sleazy, seedy and borderline peodophilia ',^_^
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

Do you see these couples in a different light? Do you feel like there's something really wrong about this picture. Something makes me uneasy about them.

I find something uneasy about people who feel the need to be in control of how other adults live their lives.

And as if people of equal age, can't be a complete disaster when pairing up. Yes, there's a line. 18. Past that, people are free to make their own mistakes, while trying to achieve what they want to achieve.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's none of my business, .

No, you got that right, it isn't any of your business....

(as numerous FM's have said before me):blush:
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Lindyhop to this thread!

its an age gap thread and I know you have to mention your younger girlfriend as often as possible!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

Do you see these couples in a different light? Do you feel like there's something really wrong about this picture. Something makes me uneasy about them.

Your quite right.. Its none of your business so shut it or we may start talking about you:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Well I have morals and I have way better standards to than to indulge on dates with people that are freaking 20+ years age difference. I don't think it's right and I will never think it will be. Just because you think it's legal if the government thinks it's legal doesn't its OK to do that just like how banging your brother's girlfriend is immoral even though it's absolutely legal.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have morals and I have way better standards to than to indulge on dates with people that are freaking 20+ years age difference. I don't think it's right and I will never think it will be. Just because you think it's legal if the government thinks it's legal doesn't its OK to do that just like how banging your brother's girlfriend is immoral even though it's absolutely legal.

Don't be ridiculous.

Or, explain why it is immoral or wrong to have a relationship with someone who is 20 years older?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having an affair with someone is not in any way, shape or form the same as simply having a relationship with someone older than you.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Having an affair with someone is not in any way, shape or form the same as simply having a relationship with someone older than you.

To be fair, he originally said it was worse than paedophilia... So at least he's downgrading it somewhat.

I didn't realise this was the same person, clearly just trying to be a wind up.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was much younger I had a three year relationship with a man 34 years older than myself.
    He taught me so much about art, literature etc and this opened my eyes to a world I didn't know existed.

Looking back it's probably obvious what I brought to the relationship but I suspect I came away from it with so much more than he did. Either way, there was nothing immoral about it. We were both consenting adults and it was a positive experience for both of us.