Lady Gaga - 'Marry The Night' music video. [OUT 1AM]

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Jmac04 wrote: »
    can she get any more pretentious and self-indulgent?
    there is no need, she's trying too hard and its cringeworthy.

and i really wanted to like it, stop making videos like this, go back to pop videos, you're not an actress.

The song is about her struggle, so why would she not make a video to show her struggle?
  • Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and i really wanted to like it, stop making videos like this, go back to pop videos, you're not an actress.

I, and many other Gaga fans, will completely disagree with you on this. It's easily one of my favourite Gaga videos. Plus, I thought her acting was quite good, i've seen much worse in films that get released in cinemas these days.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope

Another OTT Gaga borefest :rolleyes:
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first 9 minutes - wtf? Pointless, unneccessary, wierd, boring...

The "actual" music video - Amazing, the dance scenes are incredible and this is just more normal. If Gaga did more of this she probably wouldn't alienate people as much. The last 4 minutes of this are the best video off BTW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the song should be mega and should very well be on its way to being a hit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked the whole prelude part it was a little long but was a good set up to the actual music video. That being said I can see why people wouldn't like it, hope MTN does well it's a great song.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

I'm so glad someone else can see how she's just trying tooooo damn hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain in detail to me about these points? I hope im not the only one who does not get it

I liked the video but im still confused :o

What WAS she doing when she was hanging upside down in the car? What WAS she doing when she was sat on the edge of her bath? Did she self harm in her past?

There are strong flashes in the video which barely leave any time for you to understand what you just saw, before the next image appears. Some people have said that in this video they can relate to it a lot, what is it that they can relate to? what is the video about, majorly? Is it about her struggle to become famous? and is that why some peope can relate to it?

I dont understand the ballet section and the bit where she walks into the hall and everyone is staring down at her, and the last bit the `4pm interscope` bit. Is the 4pm the time she auditioned for interscope records? And why is she talking in french?

sorry for all my questions. Is this what her and her record company aim for, to create good yet confusing and odd videos so people get talking? And why do people think edge of glory was bad?
  • AdcmAdcm Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCDchick wrote: »
    Can anyone explain in detail to me about these points? I hope im not the only one who does not get it

What WAS she doing when she was hanging upside down in the car? What WAS she doing when she was sat on the edge of her bath? Did she self harm in her past?

There are strong flashes in the video which barely leave any time for you to understand what you just saw, before the next image appears. Some people have said that in this video they can relate to it a lot, what is it that they can relate to? what is the video about, majorly? Is it about her struggle to become famous? and is that why some peope can relate to it?

I dont understand the ballet section and the bit where she walks into the hall and everyone is staring down at her, and the last bit the `4pm interscope` bit. Is the 4pm the time she auditioned for interscope records? And why is she talking in french?

sorry for all my questions. Is this what her and her record company aim for, to create good yet confusing and odd videos so people get talking? And why do people think edge of glory was bad?

My look on the video (in answer to your questions) is as follows:

She is hanging from the car to show that she is 'comfortable' with overcoming the monsters that she has destroyed (blowing up the cars).

Sat on the edge of her bath she was waiting to be transformed from black haired Stefani Germanotta to blonde Lady Gaga. The blue stuff was bleach, or so I hear. She is crying because she has been dropped by her label, and is understandably upset about that.

People feel like they can relate to the video not because they too were dropped by a label and then became the next big thing, but because it shows not letting obstacles and set backs put you off your target.

The part when she walks down the hall and she's talking about her "bedazzler" is representing the start of Gaga and the beginnings of the Haus of Gaga, the people watching her being (or representing) the founding members.

The 4PM Interscope is her moving on from being dropped by Def Jam and having her new chance with Interscope. I have no clue why she's talking in French, probably just so it's nice and dramatic/cinematic.

The aim of the video is to get people talking, and thinking about what it means. Is each part a metaphor or is it as it is shown as?

People think The Edge of Glory was bad because it was simple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adcm wrote: »
    My look on the video (in answer to your questions) is as follows:

She is hanging from the car to show that she is 'comfortable' with overcoming the monsters that she has destroyed (blowing up the cars).

Sat on the edge of her bath she was waiting to be transformed from black haired Stefani Germanotta to blonde Lady Gaga. The blue stuff was bleach, or so I hear. She is crying because she has been dropped by her label, and is understandably upset about that.

People feel like they can relate to the video not because they too were dropped by a label and then became the next big thing, but because it shows not letting obstacles and set backs put you off your target.

The part when she walks down the hall and she's talking about her "bedazzler" is representing the start of Gaga and the beginnings of the Haus of Gaga, the people watching her being (or representing) the founding members.

The 4PM Interscope is her moving on from being dropped by Def Jam and having her new chance with Interscope. I have no clue why she's talking in French, probably just so it's nice and dramatic/cinematic.

The aim of the video is to get people talking, and thinking about what it means. Is each part a metaphor or is it as it is shown as?

People think The Edge of Glory was bad because it was simple.

Thanks for that. I just have a few more questions, what did she mean when `a girls got to do what she has to do` (or something like that) while she is standing in the hall, and does that rude gesture (lol) What does that mean? and the end when she is throwing things in a bin, sat near a toilet, trying to get in a car etc

Also what is it about lady gaga, some people say she is a wonderful pop star, others say she is just gimmicky, or a genuis marketing concept, what is it about her that sets her apart from others? Is she overrated or really something special

Many people say bad romance was the best video, so i wonder why they think that? (i didnt understand that one either)

fascinated, but confused. is how i feel when i watch her videos
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

She was being all deep and meaningful and performance art-like, innit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen the video, don't intend on watching it but have seen stills from it
    Why is she always abused/crying/in a mess in many of her newest videos? It's like she's had a tragic life or something. From what I know her life was pretty good before she was famous, then when she became famous her life went downhill. Her music videos are of somebody who has been extremely damaged in some way..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;55027257']Haven't seen the video, don't intend on watching it but have seen stills from it
    Why is she always abused/crying/in a mess in many of her newest videos? It's like she's had a tragic life or something. From what I know her life was pretty good before she was famous, then when she became famous her life went downhill. Her music videos are of somebody who has been extremely damaged in some way..

Well, the video is designed to give some insight into that.

For the record, the stills that have been widely used don't give a full picture of the video. It's not all doom and gloom.
  • AdcmAdcm Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I just have a few more questions, what did she mean when `a girls got to do what she has to do` (or something like that) while she is standing in the hall, and does that rude gesture (lol) What does that mean? and the end when she is throwing things in a bin, sat near a toilet, trying to get in a car etc

Also what is it about lady gaga, some people say she is a wonderful pop star, others say she is just gimmicky, or a genuis marketing concept, what is it about her that sets her apart from others? Is she overrated or really something special

Many people say bad romance was the best video, so i wonder why they think that? (i didnt understand that one either)

fascinated, but confused. is how i feel when i watch her videos

Erm, trying to get in a car, falling down the starts and all that bit was her leaving the old her behind and starting her new life as Lady Gaga.

I think what sets her apart from the others is that (originally) it seemed natural. She's been wearing the ridiculous outfits since the start of the media attention around her, whereas others (not going to name names) developed into them during the course of 2008-2009.

Most people think Bad Romance was the best video because although it was quite simplistic it was big, bold and matched the HUGE song. It was artsy, it was appealing and it's the type of things you want to watch over and over again.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I watched Marry the Night's video. It's one of her better videos imo, and I really liked the gym dance routines the best.

However, I think the song is absolutely dreadful, and sounds like an exact clone of Dance in the Dark.

About The Edge of Glory video (that song also sounds almost the same as Marry the Night and Dance in the Dark), it wasn't that bad at all. Everybody thinks it's bad, because it's Lady Gaga, but that's what your average pop video is like. The music video to Only Girl is Rihanna running around in a field, and that song has almost sold a million in the UK. As long as the song is good, the music video isn't important really. You can't blame a bad music video for a song not being successful. We had a song (Someone Like You) sell over a million this year before its music video was even released!
    Adcm wrote: »
    I think what sets her apart from the others is that (originally) it seemed natural. She's been wearing the ridiculous outfits since the start of the media attention around her, whereas others (not going to name names) developed into them during the course of 2008-2009.

If Lady Gaga was around in 2003-2007, she'd've been releasing RnB music and wearing normal outfits all the time probably.

Electropop music is starting to get less popular now, and in a few years time, watch Lady Gaga start releasing more RnB and rock orientated songs (if she's still around then).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to believe how difficult some people are making..well... thinking. Not to be offensive, but it's a pretty straight-forward video that's been done with some intense imagery (exploding cars) to make it more entertaining and poigniant. I'll give it the run down...

Prelude:
    We see Gaga on a trolley being taken into a ward in a psych hospital. This is clearly the stage between breakdown and 'trying again' in the main music video. She explains that the fashions and the little artsy tweaks are all because, basically, she can. It's her life, she can say the nurse had an awesome ass if she likes. "I'd wished they'd only given me the gummy bears" well they didn't, the result is worse, she was given a great big dose of reality and got dropped by Def Jam.

This is what happened after her dad told her to stop with the madness because she was f'n up. She's told the story many times.

Her talking to the nurse is.. well.. her thinking out loud, and in all likelyhood... was her talking to a nurse, even if she was being a bit dramatic.

She gets taken away into a world where she's a ballerina and all she can hear is the piano, the music.

We see the memories of why she's in the hospital. This begins with her being at home in bed and recieving a call from her manager who then goes on to dump her from Def Jam. "But I'm an artist" she exclaims, the french subtitle is designed to further push the point forward - with France being the world capitol of fashion and art.

She has a complete and utter breakdown (which made me want cheerios). She sarcastically yells "I'm such a star", hating on herself as she smashes the place up. There's not much to look into this bit.. she goes mental due to all her hard work (flashes of the ballerina) seemingy dropping to the floor and coming to a halt.

She then peroxides her hair in the bath as she quietly sings (or thinks) the tune of 'marry the night'. This is obviously her beginning to 'marry the night' and embrace her obstacles. Becoming the peroxide pop star; Lady Gaga.

She explains that she still had her bedazzler, despite losing everything (her career ambitions on that particular road)

Now, this is the one bit I can't quite understand as it could be numerous things, and the people aren't made too clear. When she's in the hall and there are people looking down at her, it could be her previous self in various stages of her development, it could be at titsch with people looking down their noses at her (looking down at the 'retro dance freak singing retro dance beats') I think if it's the former, then she's looking at her previous incarnations as her current self, and thinking 'time to do it all again'.

The car scene? She's on the car, she's so close to going where she needs to go - but she's not in the driver's seat. She's not going anywhere because she's doing something wrong - then she falls into place. "Turn the car on and run" on the road you need to go down.

The explosion is when she won't let anyone get in her way this time. It's her road to drive on. Detractors take a detour.

She's in the dance studio and it's pretty self explanatory. She's gonna lace up her boots, dust her self off and get on with it.

When she's sitting on the edge of the bath, she's getting out, having transformed her image to Lady Gaga. This is shown because it's just before she belts into the long 'ruuuuu-uuu-uu-uu--uh-un" which is the beginning of her journey to greatness.

The girl that falls in the dance studio is a manifestation of the 'Haus of Gaga'. She helps her up because she won't just leave her friends behind. (Starlight's appearance at Lollapalooza springs to mind)

When she's splashing in the bath.. well.. that's Gaga. She's changed her image and isn't Stefani anymore - she's Lady freakin' Gaga, and that's a pretty good choice of person to be. When she gives that little smile to herself in the bath, she's likely in the mindset of "I know what to do now."

The scene where she's dancing in the street.. she's performing in the road - on her way to the top she's performing.

Then we see the flashes of her sudden rise - She lugs the digital piano up to her apartment so she can dedicate herself to the music. She comes out of the room in full-on Gaga with the big hat which I think signifies the start of her fashion extremes. More Ballerinaga signifying hard work. She washes away the peroxide to become more Lady Gaga, then she's still a little bit cray-cray when she's still smashing that mirror. Amongst other things, she's shown eating - this must be her determination to portray a healthy body image to her fans whilst staying pop-star-thin and model-thin in order to adhere to her vision of what a superstar should be. She has spoken about this in the past. She voms up her pasty.

Then it's just flashes of the same as she covers the road in petrol because she's about to blow s**t up. She slips on the stairs and is helped up by someone who is meant to be possibly her dad or someone like that who helps her out to the car with her piano to take it to Interscope for her audition.

The ending sees her dancing in the street, dancing in the flames if we are to steal from another song, and blowing up anything in her way as she looks at her appointment on her hand. She then rises like a phoenix from the ashes. On the back of despair she has claimed triumph.

Easy as pie.

I think the video has it's "Gaga" troubles in that she tries to pack so much in that she forgets little bits and bobs, like, for instance, if she's trying to tell the story of all these things, the prelude is lovely and emotional, but the video it's self did not, for any reason, need such a long and drawn out dance studio scene... it just meant that the sudden rise shown at the end, as she transformed into Gaga and got signed had to be crammed into 20 seconds of song.

Aside from that, it's amazing. The visuals are stunning bar the studio scene which was too 'real' for a Gaga video.
  • TheChicagoBaronTheChicagoBaron Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rollercoaster - That's a good review of the plot, and I agree on many points.

Though I think the people looking down on her is the beginning of The Haus. The ballerina in the troupe is her former back-up dancer Dina. During a performance in 2009, Gaga hit Dina in the face with her microphone. I think the bit where Dina falls down in the video and then Gaga helping her back up symbolises that.

I agree with pretty much everything else.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Also, about the Def Jam thing, surely shouldn't Lady Gaga fans be HAPPY that she didn't end up on Def Jam? She'd be having to work with urban producers, and she'd be doing collabs with Kanye West all the time and touring with Alexis Jordan. Def Jam is a hip hop/RnB label, it's clearly not right for Lady Gaga, and she's not right for the label.

Before anyone says "But Interscope is a hip hop label", it's not really one anymore. It used to be, but it's completely abandoned its roots now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Also, about the Def Jam thing, surely shouldn't Lady Gaga fans be HAPPY that she didn't end up on Def Jam? She'd be having to work with urban producers, and she'd be doing collabs with Kanye West all the time and touring with Alexis Jordan. Def Jam is a hip hop/RnB label, it's clearly not right for Lady Gaga, and she's not right for the label.

Before anyone says "But Interscope is a hip hop label", it's not really one anymore. It used to be, but it's completely abandoned its roots now.

A record label shouldn't have a genre, it should be good at its job - the artist brings the genre and the talent. They should've never signed her in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking it was the Haus too.

Visually it makes sense that it would be Tisch, but timing wise it doesn't work out. I know she basically said she'd make shit up because she's the artist etc etc, but she dropped out of Tisch before being signed and dropped by Def Jam didn't she? She certainly wasn't a blonde, jean-embellished vixen at that time.

I think the dance studio is supposed to be an abstract of the Haus being formed, she goes in toward the back and is a bit shunned...but by the end is the star at the front with all the dancers supporting her, who then continue to follow her for the rest of the video. Those same dancers are the ones looking down on her in that other scene, so either it was doubling up the characters, or they're supposed to be the same dancers pre-Haus.

Maybe she went back to Tisch for dance lessons? Maybe it's just a generic dance studio she went to, they judged her looks but in the end won them over and they all became the Haus?

Hm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching again - it's the Haus. The dance studio is them all working together with her as the focal point, to get to where they need to be. She could've made it easier on herself and bedazzled them all into success..
  • TheChicagoBaronTheChicagoBaron Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - when she's in the ward, the marks on her back symbolise ''backstabbing'' - I think that was an obvious one anyway.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love gaga but it felt like 14 minutes of self indulgence just totally bored me i haven't really enjoyed any of her BTW video's tbh she's done better.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 13 minute music video? Eff off. If I wanted to watch a short film, I would.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJames99 wrote: »
    I actually liked the whole prelude part it was a little long but was a good set up to the actual music video. That being said I can see why people wouldn't like it, hope MTN does well it's a great song.

I think if you are a fan or know a bit about her back story the prelude is fine, makes sense and as you say is a good set up to the actual song part. I like the whole thing

But if your not one of the above or one of those that just dislikes anything she does it would make no sense at all and you probably won't like it :)