Options

Katy Perry: "I like to sell-out in all the best ways"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is her message exactly? That it's OK to dress like a tampon or a lampshade if you want to be different? Is arriving at an awards show in an egg artistic? No, it's dumb.

Lady Gaga is full of crap. All the preaching about bullying and accepting people for who they are, yet she does bugger all when her "Little Monsters" throw vicious insults and nasty comments via twitter about other people. She should show some backbone and tell them to calm the hell down like other artists do when their fans go overboard.

Gaga has about as much artistic integrity as the crap my cat passed this morning.

I'm not the biggest Gaga fan, but I like a few of her songs. I do think she is sincere when she talks about gay rights and anti-bullying though. Yes, she dresses strangely and maybe she looks silly sometimes, but it's not just about that, she does have political points that she makes in her interviews. Gaga is busy working a lot. She may not be online a lot and may not realize what her fans say. I don't think she is responsible for every insane thing her fans say. It's the nature of pop stardom that there are going to be obsessed fans who take their fanhood too far. Her fans aren't the only ones who do that.
    I don't think it's necessarily fair to equate with bullying with some stupid comment someone says on twitter. You can just block on twitter someone that is abusing you. I see bullying as a campaign of hatred or even physical attacks that go on at school for young kids. Not some random stupid comment on twitter than you can block or just avoid by turning off your computer.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    This is nothing more than a light-hearted, self-deprecating comment as part of a speech. Fair play to her for not taking herself to seriously, considering she's a popstar who is actually involved in the whole songwriting process she could easily be one of those serious, pretentious types all about 'artistic integrity'.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    She may not be online a lot and may not realize what her fans say. I don't think she is responsible for every insane thing her fans say. It's the nature of pop stardom that there are going to be obsessed fans who take their fanhood too far. Her fans aren't the only ones who do that.
    I don't think it's necessarily fair to equate with bullying with some stupid comment someone says on twitter. You can just block on twitter someone that is abusing you. I see bullying as a campaign of hatred or even physical attacks that go on at school for young kids. ]Not some random stupid comment on twitter than you can block or just avoid by turning off your computer.

These "stupid comments someone says on Twitter" have led to youngsters taking their own lives or becoming extremely depressed. Bullying isn't just something found in schools or something that is purely physical. Gaga fans (and fans of other acts) have been downright vicious at times on Twitter and it wouldn't hurt her to call them out on it and tell them to chill out. One Direction and Justin Bieber have when their fans have gone too far. And some of these comments aren't actually coming from younger kids who don't know any better. The alarming and sad thing is they're coming from young and grown adults who should know better.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These "stupid comments someone says on Twitter" have led to youngsters taking their own lives or becoming extremely depressed. Bullying isn't just something found in schools or something that is purely physical. Gaga fans (and fans of other acts) have been downright vicious at times on Twitter and it wouldn't hurt Gaga to call them out on it and tell them to chill out. One Direction and Justin Bieber have when their fans have gone too far. And some of these comments aren't actually coming from younger kids who don't know any better. That's the alarming and sad thing.

Are there actually kids who have killed themselves because of what Gaga fans have said to them on twitter? I've not seen any evidence of it. If that's true, than I agree with you. From what I see Gaga fans tend to send nasty messages to other artists, not to young kids. They sent nasty messages to Madonna's manager, but I doubt he is going to kill himself over it. Also where are these people's parents? I don't think it's healthy for young children to spend too much time online. Their parents need to monitor their Internet use and if it's making them depressed, encourage them to do other things with their time. Parents need to be parents and not expect Lady Gaga to control their children.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why has this thread evolved into a discussion about gaga? i have my suspicions about possible motives from some of her supports in this thread, but i am choosing to rise above it.

i don't think katy said anything outrageous to be honest and it was her just her way of mocking herself.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Are there actually kids who have killed themselves because of what Gaga fans have said to them on twitter? I've not seen any evidence of it. If that's true, than I agree with you. From what I see Gaga fans tend to send nasty messages to other artists, not to young kids. They sent nasty messages to Madonna's manager, but I doubt he is going to kill himself over it. Also where are these people's parents? I don't think it's healthy for young children to spend too much time online. Their parents need to monitor their Internet use and if it's making them depressed, encourage them to do other things with their time. Parents need to be parents and not expect Lady Gaga to control their children.

I'm not necessarily saying that comments posted by Gaga fans have lead to suicides, I'm saying that those sorts of comments posted online in other places have led to youngsters killing themselves or becoming depressed. This is why Gaga should clamp down on her fans posting them on her official Twitter and Facebook pages. The internet is a big place and not everything can be monitored, but Gaga could post a message on Twitter or Facebook saying that nasty comments will not be tolerated and that the people doing it should grow up. I just find it funny that she's apparently against anti-bullying but says nothing when her fans post vicious comments on her Twitter and Facebook page or try trending something about a fellow singer that is just plain wrong. Like I said, One Direction and Justin Bieber have done it and so can Gaga.

I'm not trying to put all the blame on Gaga as I agree that parents have the responsibility of teaching their kids about right and wrong. But I do think that it's the responsibility of both Gaga and her team to crack down on bullying on her official pages instead of just ignoring it and then having the audacity to sit in an interview and talk about how she's dead set against bullying. THAT'S my problem. She's a hypocrite. She doesn't want to risk losing fans by speaking up when they do something wrong. They're her "Little Mosters". Practically perfect in every way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    What is her message exactly? That it's OK to dress like a tampon or a lampshade if you want to be different? Is arriving at an awards show in an egg artistic? No, it's dumb.

Lady Gaga is full of crap. All the preaching about bullying and accepting people for who they are, yet she does bugger all when her "Little Monsters" throw some truly vicious insults and nasty comments via twitter. She should show some backbone and tell them to calm the hell down like other artists do when their fans go overboard.

Gaga has about as much artistic integrity as the crap my cat passed this morning.

What do you consider "artistic"?

Lady Gaga's message is not defined or undermined by the action of her fans, nor is it her duty to literally parent her fanbase of millions into practising what she preaches. For the record, she has actually commented on it before. There's not a whole lot she can do, assuming she even knows about much of it at all.

Regardless, this is all completely irrelevant to the thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I always feel like she says stuff thats meant to sound like immortal Marilyn Monroe style quotes, its like she planned to say it - notice the extended pause for effect where she was waiting for the audience to cheer or something but no one did
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you consider "artistic"?

Lady Gaga's message is not defined or undermined by the action of her fans, nor is it her duty to literally parent her fanbase of millions into practising what she preaches. For the record, she has actually commented on it before. There's not a whole lot she can do, assuming she even knows about much of it at all.

Regardless, this is all completely irrelevant to the thread.

I'm sorry if your willing to go out there and condemn the actions of others because of what you perceive to be inequalities for groups and people in society you should be willing to stand by what you say not allow large swathes of your fanbase to be as intolerant and hateful as the people she stands against she is nothing but a hypocrite and as for not knowing she has one of the biggest media teams of anyone in the world so i doubt she is unlikely to know this goes on.

And as for KP i think she was just mocking herself and what others think of her i like that she does not take herself to seriously.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame Perez Hilton for the way some Gaga fans are.

I never understood while during that whole Perez/Christina fued Lady Gaga never once tried to stop it. Even more so as Perez was doing it all to protect Gaga's name as he thought Christina was ripping her off even though she wasn't. He would tweet vile things about Christina then tweet Gaga about something unrelated and she would then tweet him back so she must have been aware he was bullying Christina and encouraging Gaga fans to do the same. It was really nasty what went on in the summer of 2010. In general though Perez has always been bit of an internet bully anyway. He went through a craze of outing gay men on his website if you remember. Its still so weird that Gaga would be seen with Perez given she campaigned against that sort of thing and good on the 1D boys and Master Bieber for raining their fans in when they cross the line. Thats being a role model in the face of bullying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if your willing to go out there and condemn the actions of others because of what you perceive to be inequalities for groups and people in society you should be willing to stand by what you say not allow large swathes of your fanbase to be as intolerant and hateful as the people she stands against she is nothing but a hypocrite and as for not knowing she has one of the biggest media teams of anyone in the world so i doubt she is unlikely to know this goes on.

And as for KP i think she was just mocking herself and what others think of her i like that she does not take herself to seriously.

The whole "she should practice what she preaches" argument doesn't hold any weight, and she certainly isn't hypocritical, because she IS practising what she preaches. She condemns bullying from the playground to the government, and she herself does not bully. What she ISN'T doing is regularly and explicitly enforcing her FANS to practice what she preaches in regard to other celebrities. Whilst I'm sure she could be more vocal about it, it really is no more her duty to allow or disallow their actions than any other popstar and their fanbase. Just because she preaches a particular message doesn't mean she's more accountable.

People will say and do as they want online because it is in their personality, it's irrelevant who their favourite popstar is. They don't mock Adele's weight (or whatever) for Gaga's benefit, in the same way that if Madonna or Britney stans call Gaga a talentless tranny doesn't benefit their favourite popstars in any way.

The "large swathes"? Where is the evidence of that?

Which leads to: what are you expecting Gaga's apparent "media team" to do exactly? Police her fans on Twitter to see if they hassle a celebrity? Scour provocative trending topics to see if it was Gaga fans who started it? Tell fans off for leaving rude comments on YouTube? Pretty sure they have better things to do, like...their job.
    I blame Perez Hilton for the way some Gaga fans are.

I never understood while during that whole Perez/Christina fued Lady Gaga never once tried to stop it. Even more so as Perez was doing it all to protect Gaga's name as he thought Christina was ripping her off even though she wasn't. He would tweet vile things about Christina then tweet Gaga about something unrelated and she would then tweet him back so she must have been aware he was bullying Christina and encouraging Gaga fans to do the same. It was really nasty what went on in the summer of 2010. In general though Perez has always been bit of an internet bully anyway. He went through a craze of outing gay men on his website if you remember. Its still so weird that Gaga would be seen with Perez given she campaigned against that sort of thing and good on the 1D boys and Master Bieber for raining their fans in when they cross the line. Thats being a role model in the face of bullying.

I think he was a major problem, too. He encouraged people to attack Christina, adding fuel to stan war fire and winding them up.

I don't know why Gaga didn't say anything to Perez, but I'd wager it was because she didn't want to get involved. Rightly or wrongly. Whilst it concerned her, it wasn't her opinion or actions being focused on. She doesn't comment on celebrities unless they've inspired her or they've died. I don't know why they're friends, but I wouldn't be surprised if it started because Gaga was flattered that Perez gave her so much exposure early on and she knew it was a good business decision to keep him sweet. They have noticeably drifted since, or at the very least have taken their friendship out of the spotlight because that special she did for his show is the only interaction I've seen from them since 2010. I unfollowed him from Twitter etc. but I'm assuming he's toned down his fangirling because it's not talked about anymore? Perhaps she did have words in the end.

The difference between Gaga and 1D/Bieber, is that there isn't much explicit evidence that she would notice/know about her fans actions. The latter have to call out their fans because they send death threats and physically attack their girlfriends. All we have on Gaga fans is the occasional article that blames them for supposedly trending that Madonna had died or calling Adele fat (which she did comment on).
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but by not calling her fans up on it she is therefore invalidating what she is saying how can you listen to someone preach when bullying is rife within her own fanbase im not saying she should publicly denounce them but at least make reference and apologise because she will just look like a hypocrite as she is doing If Beiber and other artists who are not so publicly anti bullying call their fans up on it why cant she ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yes but by not calling her fans up on it she is therefore invalidating what she is saying how can you listen to someone preach when bullying is rife within her own fanbase im not saying she should publicly denounce them but at least make reference and apologise because she will just look like a hypocrite as she is doing If Beiber and other artists who are not so publicly anti bullying call their fans up on it why cant she ?

She has called her fans out before, but it doesn't happen frequently because there aren't as many notable events that warrant a response from her, contrary to what people like to think.
    A representative for the "Poker Face" hitmaker stated, "Lady Gaga does not approve of bullying anyone for their physical appearance, it goes against everything she stands for. A tiny handful of fans may be letting her down."
    "I didn't speak to anyone in particular, but anyone who would say anything negative about Adele, I wouldn't support. I love her immensely. She's very sweet. We've exchanged emails about our mutual love.

"I wish her all the best for her recovery in her vocals, and I can't wait to hear her new music. She's an amazing success in the U.S. and in the U.K., and it's wonderful to see such strong women thriving in pop music. I wouldn't condone anything against Adele."