English/British? A race, nationality or?

LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering how people define "English" or "British"?

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    British to mean 'of Great Britain' is a quite recent term.

In the 16th and 17th centuries 'British' referred to the Welsh or the Welsh language.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    *dons MICH and ducks*
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,286
    Forum Member
    English = people born in England
    British = non existant really, only a name given to people which in real life is meaningless to everyone. Scottish people are Scottish, Welsh people are Welsh and English people are English. British is as meaningless a term as European, again Scottish people are Scottish yes European but European is a meaningless word aswell.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure there is a real definition.

Which nationality people consider themselves is a complex thing and cant really be tied down to where they were born, where they live, where their family is from etc. People often identify with the nationality that best fits where they were brought up - but not always.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »

But its not that straight forward. I'm sure there are many people who were born in England - but who dont consider themselves English.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't we been here before...:D

I'm whatever it alludes to on my passport and the two characters I have to select whenever I have to order something or other online.
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    But its not that straight forward. I'm sure there are many people who were born in England - but who dont consider themselves English.

And I hope there are many not born in England who do consider themselves English having settled here and feeling at home.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What you mean like brummies, cockneys, manchurians, Liverpuddlians etc.

or the Cornish..:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »

I was thinking more along the lines of Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Indian, Chinese etc.........
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a British passport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »
    British = non existant really, only a name given to people which in real life is meaningless to everyone. Scottish people are Scottish, Welsh people are Welsh and English people are English. British is as meaningless a term as European, again Scottish people are Scottish yes European but European is a meaningless word aswell.

To you maybe but I consider myself more proud to be British than English although I identify with both. And I would rather be from Europe than anywhere else.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking more along the lines of Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Indian, Chinese etc.........

Also people born to English parents abroad.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    British = people born in the British Isles.
    Forum Member
    To you maybe but I consider myself more proud to be British than English although I identify with both. And I would rather be from Europe than anywhere else.

What makes you proud to be British and what is British to you?

To me theres nothing that I could say is British really, its only a flag, name, government and an army - but it covers entirely different countries.

I have little in common with English people for example, they support English teams, speak with English accents for me to speak and act the way I do in Scotland probably less than 5% or even no English people would understand me at all so to call us both British is like calling a Canadian a North American, its a name that covers them but is meaningless.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A strange view. Take for example the USA if you're a black person born and raised in the USA are you not American?
  • LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in England but I'd never consider myself English. I would say I'm British as it's what my passport says, but I hold no affiliation to this land what so ever.

I think English is an ethnicity, like eating yorkshire puddings or having a few jars down the social etc etc. Its not just about where you are born IMO, it about heritage and cultural identity.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    British = people born in the British Isles.

The British Isles includes the Republic of Ireland though!!!
  • Spring JewelzSpring Jewelz Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Both my parents are Scottish, I was born and brought up in England. I consider myself both Scottish and English therefore I'm British. If Scotland were to become independent and no longer part of Britain I would then say I am Scottish English.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »
    I was born in England but I'd never consider myself English. I would say I'm British as it's what my passport says, but I hold no affiliation to this land what so ever.

I think English is an ethnicity, like eating yorkshire puddings or having a few jars down the social etc etc. Its not just about where you are born IMO, it about heritage and cultural identity.

Why don't you consider yourself English?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    A strange view. Take for example the USA if you're a black person born and raised in the USA are you not American?
    America is different from the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Why don't you consider yourself English?
    Because they are as culturally different to me as asians etc. Although, I have to admitt, I do like my yorkshire puds :D
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My Husbands Cornish and insists on putting just this on all official forms that ask for nationality like Driving licence,passport government forms etc :eek:
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I was thinking rather further flung destinations. I would hope of course that all of those you mention would consider themselves English!
    Forum Member
    Because they are as culturally different to me as asians etc. Although, I have to admitt, I do like my yorkshire puds :D

But why then do you consider yourself British? British is basically English with a name that encompasses Scotland and Wales - yet the 3 countries are like you said curturally very different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America is different from the UK.

Not in terms of the example I have it isn't. What about Paulo Nutini the singer. His family has an Italian Background but he's a proud Scotsman. If he went to Italy they wouldn't consider him Italian. The same with a Black Person born in England with a Jamaican background. If they went to Jamaica the locals would consider them English.