Stress at Work

2»

Comments

• StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)
    Good luck. We spend so much of our life at work that it's important to enjoy it if you can. I'm very lucky - I have a job I really enjoy working for a good organisation and nice people. I know other people aren't so fortunate.

Thank you :)

Even just posting this thread and getting positive feedback has been a great help.
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the other angle to look at is the H&S one. Employers have a legal duty to manage stress under H&S at work legislation

http://www.cipd.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1B504994-F40F-4801-B93D-8FA4DE73E1FD/0/5233Stress_and_Law_guide.pdf

if there are over 5 employees where you work then by law your company is required to have a H&S policy and that should cover stress

if in doubt start with what the law says and what your internal policies say. If you raise the issue with your line manager and they do nothing then they will be at the top of a slippery slope

good luck
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    :)

Thank you :)

Even just posting this thread and getting positive feedback has been a great help.

Good Luck Starpuss , you can do it .You have climbed bigger mountains and so you knw you are strong .:)
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything to add to the excellent advice already offered here but just wanted to chip in with a bit of support and encouragement. You sound like an amazingly strong person who has overcome more obstacles than most people face in a lifetime, and the fact you are thinking about how things could be better run in your current position means you have A LOT to offer another employer. You are wasted in that job so dig deep and get that CV ramped up with all your many positive qualities, you are far from worthless so get looking for that dream job, you CAN do it ! Best of luck !
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted a thread about something similar a few weeks back it may be of use. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1783670&highlight=job+making+me+ill I have went through all you've went through, I exhausted all avenues like going to HR, the Doctor etc etc, in the end I just had to give up, damn all can be done sad but true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittles wrote: »
    the other angle to look at is the H&S one. Employers have a legal duty to manage stress under H&S at work legislation

http://www.cipd.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1B504994-F40F-4801-B93D-8FA4DE73E1FD/0/5233Stress_and_Law_guide.pdf

if there are over 5 employees where you work then by law your company is required to have a H&S policy and that should cover stress

if in doubt start with what the law says and what your internal policies say. If you raise the issue with your line manager and they do nothing then they will be at the top of a slippery slope

good luck

I will have a good read through that. I don't want to appear aggressive but it is always good to know where you stand legally. Thank you
    Good Luck Starpuss , you can do it .You have climbed bigger mountains and so you knw you are strong .:)

Life has indeed knocked me back a few times. I would hate a job to be the thing that finished me off. I still have some fight left though :)
    lozenger wrote: »
    I don't have anything to add to the excellent advice already offered here but just wanted to chip in with a bit of support and encouragement. You sound like an amazingly strong person who has overcome more obstacles than most people face in a lifetime, and the fact you are thinking about how things could be better run in your current position means you have A LOT to offer another employer. You are wasted in that job so dig deep and get that CV ramped up with all your many positive qualities, you are far from worthless so get looking for that dream job, you CAN do it ! Best of luck !

Thank you. I am frustrated about so many things at work that I hardly know where to begin. If I ask (very politely and out of genuine interest) why we do things a certain way I am told 'It's policy'. Maddening.

Thank you everyone. I am going to be positive when I go in on Monday and try not to cry. :D
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus just quit! No job is worth stressing over. Life is too short for that shit
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you approach your manager as discussed and still don't get anywhere you might want to consider taking out a formal grievance. This would mean that under the ACAS code of practice your employers would be obliged to take it seriously, investigate it, hold a meeting with you to discuss the issues you raise etc etc. Have a look at the ACAS website - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Poeple often don't want to go down this route, partly because it sounds so formal, but it may be worth considering. Just starting the process might make your employers see how serious this is for you.

And of course - look for another job! The very best of luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus just quit! No job is worth stressing over. Life is too short for that shit

Now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I like to pay my bills
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I like to pay my bills

I would have at least taken a month off from stress. Make the most of life and enjoy your free time because no one will care how hard you worked when you're dead. You are just a number to them xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you approach your manager as discussed and still don't get anywhere you might want to consider taking out a formal grievance. This would mean that under the ACAS code of practice your employers would be obliged to take it seriously, investigate it, hold a meeting with you to discuss the issues you raise etc etc. Have a look at the ACAS website - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Poeple often don't want to go down this route, partly because it sounds so formal, but it may be worth considering. Just starting the process might make your employers see how serious this is for you.

And of course - look for another job! The very best of luck.

It sounds scary but the more I have been looking into it the more I like the idea of having that legal backup if all goes wrong.

I have sent off 2 applications today for other jobs. I feel quite positive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have at least taken a month off from stress. Make the most of life and enjoy your free time because no one will care how hard you worked when you're dead. You are just a number to them xxx

This has all been discussed. I am applying for other jobs so it doesn't look good to have any sickness at all let alone a month off :eek: