job advice to work around college course

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Posting on mobile so excuse the mistakes please. :p

I got accepted for a part time degree at the college doing what I've been trying to do the past 3 years but couldn't because I didn't have my Maths and it wasn't an evening course last year. I now have my Maths.

A lot of jobs are 9-5, I'm willing to work any day and time that public transport will allow but not from 4.30-9.30 on Monday and Wednesdays. I don't need a big wage but 170 a week should do. I only have voluntary experience in helping people with computing issues.

Rather stuck because I need a job but *really* want to do this course and it will open up a lot of doors for me while allowing me to find my strengths.

Would it be worth including my restrictions in covering letters so as not to waste employers time? Are there any jobs which will finish on the times I need anyway?

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Firstly, congratulations on getting on the course, heavy_rotation. :)

I'd suggest looking around for part time work locally that fits in with your studies and not the other way round. I'd also suggest seeing the college's student advice service on this one not least because quite a few colleges and universities employ students in part time/short term job roles that hekps them remain studying.

Finally, I shall recommend this book here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Use-Your-Head-Unleash-Power/dp/1406644277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378772398&sr=8-1&keywords=buzan+use+your+head which could help with studying, exams and revision. Good luck!
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the course :)

The only jobs I have ever got to fit around my college studies are Christmas temp jobs, both of which I did at John Lewis as they are open until 9pm for a month or so. So it meant I could still go to my college and placement during the day and then do a four hour shift afterwards for example 4-8 5-9

So tiring but it was worth it. So yeah I'd suggest going with looking for Christmas jobs this time to begin with?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Depends where you are but my daughter works at a uni branch of costa and they are happy to work around her college hours.

it is a zero hours contract though, so during the Uni holidays she gets hardly any shifts. however they do pay her more than the minimum wage for her age
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much all! I've been provisionally offered a temp role for 3-4 months that fits in. If that goes ahead I'll be relieved and hopefully it gets extended!
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it have been easier going with the open uni? Wouldn't have had to spend extra time retaking maths. Unless they did t offer a similar course. But it would fit in better with working life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much all! I've been provisionally offered a temp role for 3-4 months that fits in. If that goes ahead I'll be relieved and hopefully it gets extended!

Good luck h_r. Hope it goes well.
  • Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck flower, hope it works out for you x