Options

Good Quality Washing Machine

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to buy a new washing machinebut I do not know what is a good make for washing clothes/usage size etc as I am on a limited budget the cost is important too, looking for cheap/mid price range any ideas? Also where can iget it shop or www thanks a lot bbuk

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most brands of washing machines are now owned by just a couple of parent companies. And I recall reading a year or 2 ago that often most washing machines are often the same anyway behind the facials\cover barring a few small differences in features etc.

I suppose it depends what your actual budget is?. If for a family with children etc I'd try to go for a 7kg load capacity as it will mean less washes per week and save money in the long term with energy costs.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same position, looking for a new washing machine. On a budget but considering a washer and dryer machine.

(I'll probably go with whatever Daddy suggests, always a Daddy's girl)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Buy a Bosch, they are excellent value for money and extremely reliable.

However, don't buy the very cheapest one, as they are made in Spain and no where near as good.

We have sold Bosch for years, and they have been excellent machines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Always go for a separate washer and dryer where possible as the dry load is always smaller than the wash i.e. 7kg wash, 5kg dry.

We have 3 kids, so I have an 11kg Hotpoint machine which has been fine over the last couple of years and cost me under £400, although for two kids you want at least a 7kg, preferably a 9kg if you want to cut down the amount of washes you do.

Just remember that the words "good" and "cheap" do not necessarily work well together when it comes round to home appliances. You can go into a supermarket and buy a Bush or a Russell Hobbs for sub-£200, thinking they are good, traditional British brands, but it is just a branding that has been bought by generic producing Chinese factories.

If you want cheap then Home Bargains were selling an Electra 5kg 1000rpm washer for £129.99 the other day when I went in there, but don't expect much from it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be inclined to avoid the shops home brands (such as Bush & Pro Action in the case of Argos) even if they do seem a more attractive price. As while they are almost certainly re-badged better known brands of washing machine the life expectancy of the control panel may (but in to means certain) due to reduced costs in making them over established brands be far less than known established brands.

Plus with shops own brands you probably don't get any extras like 3 or 5 year parts cover, hence the cheaper prices at the start. Most established brands at least tend to cover the parts for 3 years ocover. Our Indesit has a free 5 year parts cover.

Also look at the energy efficiency for both the wash and the spin as that of cause affects the running costs a lot over a year with second washes and extra spins etc.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    I need to buy a new washing machinebut I do not know what is a good make for washing clothes/usage size etc as I am on a limited budget the cost is important too, looking for cheap/mid price range any ideas? Also where can iget it shop or www thanks a lot bbuk

Have a look on Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A3618681%2Ck%3Awashing+machines&keywords=washing+machines&ie=UTF8&qid=1386320563&rnid=1642204031

If you spend some time trawling through the ‘customer reviews’ it may give you some specific pointers to the ideal machine for you; it may even give you some insights into a modern machines capabilities that you were not aware of previously.

If you see a machine that fits your needs/budget you could then set about finding it cheaper elsewhere (maybe!).

P.S. always best to treat the Amazon ‘reviews’ with degree of caution, but generally they are pretty useful.

Others; (there are many more out there!)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/33012832/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+garden%7C33005908/c_2/2%7C33005908%7CLarge+kitchen+appliances%7C33008255/c_3/3%7Ccat_33008255%7CWashing+machines%7C33012832.htm

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry-dishwashers/washing-machines/332_3119_30206_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's your budget?

If you want advice you have to give some basic info to stop getting reccomendations for machines that you cannot afford or wouldn't want to waste money on.

Some budget machines are better than others so don't just lump them all together and think they're all the same.

WIthout any info though I'd stay well away from anything other than well known brands, especially crap such as Bush and Russel Hobbs etc. They're just rebranded chinese garbage with little to zero after sales support.

At least with a Beko or Indesit they do actually have some sort of service network in place.

Other than that, a budget is needed to help you better.
  • Options
    PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miele. Expensive but it'll outlive you and your children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    What's your budget?

QUOTE]

I was thinking about £300 or so, Does anyone have an Indesit washing machine, how good/bad is it, I might go a bit higher and get a BOSCH or an MIELE, want to see what their prices are?
  • Options
    PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your budget?

QUOTE]

I was thinking about £300 or so, Does anyone have an Indesit washing machine, how good/bad is it, I might go a bit higher and get a BOSCH or an MIELE, want to see what their prices are?

Cheapest Miele will set you back in the region of 700 but you only have to Google to see that they are built to withstand a nuclear blast. Well, not in the literal sense but you know what I mean. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your budget?

QUOTE]

You can pick up a new Miele for around the £500 /£600 pound mark if you shop around, I installed one for a customer last week, he said it cost him £500 from a local appliance warehouse.

If £300 is it, go for the Spanish built Bosch rather than an Indesit or Hotpoint. It's still a decent machine for the price and you get a two year guarantee. There's a link to one in the amazon link a few posts up.

If you can stretch to £350+ then go for a Bosch WAE243666.
    This is a decent quality basic machine that would usually last a small family a minimum of five years but probably closer to ten (depending on use).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheapest Miele will set you back in the region of 700 but you only have to Google to see that they are built to withstand a nuclear blast. Well, not in the literal sense but you know what I mean. :D

I avoid reccomending Miele to my customers due to their working practices (which stink imo).
    But they are decent machines.
    I prefer the ISE's which come with a ten year guarantee and have better attitude towards their customers.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a cheap one, like this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry-dishwashers/washing-machines/beko-wmp652w-washing-machine-white-09982503-pdt.html do you need to get the H2Pro Magnetic Water Conditioner thing they're trying to sell with it?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a bosch washing machine. They are currently running an offer where you can get some money back. I got a £50 cheque from them (havent actually received the cheque, but got an email saying it was in the post).

Quite a few people recommended Bosch. So hopefully the machine will last around 6/7 years. Only two of us, so gets moderate use.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that several people are recommending Bosch, but some are advising against Spanish-built Bosch, how can you tell where the machines are made?

Is there a clue in the model numbers, or do you just have to know?
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miele. Expensive but it'll outlive you and your children.

I agree, expensive but worth every penny.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Given that several people are recommending Bosch, but some are advising against Spanish-built Bosch, how can you tell where the machines are made?

The bottom of the range is Spanish - FlyinBrick has mentioned the WAE243666 as NOT Spanish, and is probably the cheapest non-Spanish one?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »

The bottom of the range is Spanish - FlyinBrick has mentioned the WAE243666 as NOT Spanish, and is probably the cheapest non-Spanish one?.

Just general quality of trim and style. You have to be in the trade to recognise some of em sometimes.

I'm not sure the WAE24366 (sorry I added an extra 6 in my OP). is the lowest end of the non Spanish ones, I'm a repairer/technician more than a seller so not completely au fait with the retail side of things.
    The other thing is price, anything sub £350 unless on offer will probably be a Spanish variant.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your budget?

QUOTE]

I know someone who got a Indesit, they have had it for a few years now, still seems ok.
    At the end of the day, you can pay over £150 for a machine and it may last as long as one you paid £500 or more for.

I have seen some expensive machines go belly up is a couple of years and some cheap ones lasting for what seems for ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

At the end of the day, you can pay over £150 for a machine and it may last as long as one you paid £500 or more for.

I have seen some expensive machines go belly up is a couple of years and some cheap ones lasting for what seems for ever.

From a probable sample size in single figures (maybe double at best)your comment might have some merit, but from my own sample size in the tens of thousands you're completely wrong.

The vast majority of cases the more expensive machines outlast the cheaper ones by years and years.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my Miele nearly 14 years now. It cost £499 back then but has been worth every penny.

It's worked out cheaper in the long run.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zanussi at John Lewis, just over 200 pounds and comes with a 2 year warranty - best deal on the market. Also much cheaper to repair than Bosch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Zanussi at John Lewis, just over 200 pounds and comes with a 2 year warranty - best deal on the market. Also much cheaper to repair than Bosch.

Not really, when the main (chinese made)PCB goes (and it does, quite often) then the replacement comes in at about £95 + fitting. Never mind the poor quality sealed drum and bearing assembly also made in china.
    As opposed to the Bosch PCB's.. which I've replaced 4 of in the last ten years. (Although they do cost more at £158).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, when the main (chinese made)PCB goes (and it does, quite often) then the replacement comes in at about £95 + fitting. Never mind the poor quality sealed drum and bearing assembly also made in china.
    As opposed to the Bosch PCB's.. which I've replaced 4 of in the last ten years. (Although they do cost more at £158).

As it comes with a 2 year warranty, it will be covered for that period. JL are very good to deal with, and would be likely to respond re SOGA responsibilities in the following two years.

I had a BOSCH, and the pump went early on - just out of warranty. Parts are a crazy price. If I wanted to spend out on a better quality machine I would buy Panasonic rather than Bosch, but there again in a different price range from the Zanussi. The OP says money it tight, so the machine I suggested is one that is good value for money - just over 200 pounds, only 60 quid more than the BOSCH PCB you mention.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had my Miele nearly 14 years now. It cost £499 back then but has been worth every penny.

It's worked out cheaper in the long run.

Has it ever gone wrong in all that time? I have only ever read/heard good things about Miele (well apart from their working practices on this thread) I have a fridge/freezer by them and it has never missed a beat in 7 years. I am thinking about a Miele washing machine. I'm fed up buying a new (cheap) machine every three years or so.