The Tomorrow People - 08/01/14 E4

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone remember the original? This US version looks potentially good. Stars Robbie Amell. May be related to Arrow star Stephen.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May be related? They are cousins.

I've seen the first four episodes and I enjoyed what i saw.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be related? They are cousins.

I've seen the first four episodes and I enjoyed what i saw.

Thanks. Was going to look it up. Do they look alike? Hope so! I used to touch my belt as a child and think I'd disappeared. It was one of those waspbee or wasbee belts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    Thanks. Was going to look it up. Do they look alike? Hope so! I used to touch my belt as a child and think I'd disappeared. It was one of those waspbee or wasbee belts

They do a bit. Mainly in the face
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nicholas Young who played John throughout the original series appears in two episodes of this remake
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Stevens (Matthew from Downton abbey) also has a recurring voice over role in the show.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It looks bloody dreadful!

Just some American crap that has stolen the title of a 70s UK TV programme.

Shameful to the memories of those who grew up with the original. But I'm sure the kiddies will lap it up.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen and Robbie are cousins and are close. They also are great at interacting with fans, especially Stephen.

I am on the US pace of TTP and have to say it gets really good! The first 3 or so episodes may seem slow but the last two episodes I have seen before the Christmas break were brilliant! So I am hoping the US ratings increase to almost match Arrow (which is doing brilliantly there) as well as get good ratings here. It deserves it, but I worry people may give up after the first episode or two, they shouldn't!!
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just a little bit too young to get into the original and only have vague memories of it but love all things sci fi so am looking forward to this.

Some good stuff coming up on E4 with the new series of mad fat diary too.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks bloody dreadful!

Just some American crap that has stolen the title of a 70s UK TV programme.

Shameful to the memories of those who grew up with the original. But I'm sure the kiddies will lap it up.

I take it you've seen it then?
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I take it you've seen it then?

The trailers are enough to show that it's one big GI Joe with special powers. In your face 'we are Americans and need to tell you about it' stuff.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching this from the beginning and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. Never dull!

That's just me though.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried it for a few eps but just found all the characters bland. :(
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I tried it for a few eps but just found all the characters bland. :(

Gave up after ep 3 myself, but I hope it does well on E4.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Stephen and Robbie are cousins and are close. They also are great at interacting with fans, especially Stephen.

I am on the US pace of TTP and have to say it gets really good! The first 3 or so episodes may seem slow but the last two episodes I have seen before the Christmas break were brilliant! So I am hoping the US ratings increase to almost match Arrow (which is doing brilliantly there) as well as get good ratings here. It deserves it, but I worry people may give up after the first episode or two, they shouldn't!!

I shall give it a go tomorrow but the worst thing about US TV networks is that ratings and not drama quality is their absolute governing criterion and I've found that I've got into a good series only for it to be cancelled after the first couple of seasons (Alphas being a prime example). That is so annoying.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I love this series and I have been hoping for it to return so I can keep watching it
    I will watch it tomorrow sometime plus I am recording it
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like these kind of shows and the trailer is enough to make me want to give it a watch.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice is don't give up after the first few episodes. I gave up after episode 1 for a while, but decided to go back and watch the other episodes. Really love it so far! Stick with it. :)
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »

Teleporting in this new version is more like the movie Jumper if you've seen that. No belt touching (or wrist band touching) in this one. Although there is a "Tim" so not all is lost...

It's enjoyable enough, but it is very teen-y. There were improvements in the last few episodes before the Christmas break so hopefully it will be given a fair chance.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I don't view it as teeny with some of what's been in it
    Forum Member
    So they stole a British children's TV format and we are still kept waiting whilst the Americans see it first. What a nerve!
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching this via CW player it's a ok show as someone has said don't give up on it after a couple of episodes stick with it.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they stole a British children's TV format and we are still kept waiting whilst the Americans see it first. What a nerve!

"Stole?"

It's an adaptation. Like cover versions of songs, nothing is "stolen".

Yes, it's based on a British show, but this version is American, so I really don't see the issue.
  • IceWarriorIceWarrior Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I wonder if E4 will show this over 22 consecutive weeks or if there will be a break half way through.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt this a lot like x-men?.....
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't he just zap himself back to his destination instead of getting the train?