Sony Z2 Pre Orders EE

ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was told in store on Friday it would be here on the 11th so I pre ordered it. I have just read it has been delayed. Does any body know if pre orders will still be honoured or is it a blanket delay. Apparently the delay was announced on Friday so I am surprised they didn't mention it. I will ring the store tomorrow. I just wondered if anybody else was in the same boat.

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A delay was mentioned a while ago (in general, not for a specific operator) and if the recent KitKat update for the Z1 is anything to go by, the Z2 firmware might be full of bugs.

A patch for the Z1 is supposedly approved and on its way, but it's a bigger problem for a brand new phone.
  • WallhartWallhart Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Ordered mine online despite their systems being cack.

Haven't seen or heard or been told anything about expected delivery. Just got a text saying we haven't forgotten about your z2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually seems to be a component shortage according to some, or a high failure rate according to another.

Not sure who or what to believe right now.
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm not sure. I will phone EE tomorrow. My current phone and carrier switches off in a month so I may have to switch if its significantly delayed to the Samsung S5.
    Forum Member
    Yes I'm in the same boat. If it comes to it I'm trying to figure out whether I'd prefer Samsung or htc. Hopefully doesn't come to that

Post in here what they say as interested
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you get stuck with another phone for the sake of a few weeks extra wait?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will post back tomorrow and let you know.

When I choose the Z2 it was a close call between that and the S5 so it wouldn't be a major disappointment although I do prefer the Sony. I wouldn't consider any other handset though and would have to wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite on all the confusion on the internet the bloke in EE said he hadn't heard anything and said he expected an April release as that is what is on their system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given Clove put this out, after having originally expected stock to be on time, I have to assume that EE will soon be informing people of a delay too.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2014/03/28/sony-xperia-z2-uk-sim-free-launch-delayed-may/

If the issue isn't software, but a problem with a component, it could mean there will be limited stock or no stock. That's where it's not clear (and Clove has deliberately refused to explain why).

I've heard there's a shortage of components. If so, they'd still be making them and some people would get them.

If there's a problem with a component, I'd expect nobody would be getting any and there would be a noticeable delay.

Sadly, it seems more likely to be the latter going by how many places are now saying it will be delayed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Are any of you guys that preordered still in contract? I can upgrade from mid April (currently Orange) and received an email from EE advising of a double data deal if you preorder now. Think this deal runs out before I can upgrade....Anyone know if it's possible to preorder as my upgrade and get the deal? Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Given Clove put this out, after having originally expected stock to be on time, I have to assume that EE will soon be informing people of a delay too.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2014/03/28/sony-xperia-z2-uk-sim-free-launch-delayed-may/

If the issue isn't software, but a problem with a component, it could mean there will be limited stock or no stock. That's where it's not clear (and Clove has deliberately refused to explain why).

I've heard there's a shortage of components. If so, they'd still be making them and some people would get them.

If there's a problem with a component, I'd expect nobody would be getting any and there would be a noticeable delay.

Sadly, it seems more likely to be the latter going by how many places are now saying it will be delayed.

Thanks for the info. I placed a pre order with a £10 deposit, on this basis do think they would refund me? Also does anybody know the release date of the S5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S5 goes on sale globally on Friday April 11th.

Does it not say in the above blog post about refunds? I am sure you could get a refund no problem. At least you only paid £10.

I seem to recall that when I pre-ordered my Z1, I gave my details and they debited the card that very day. I'm not even sure they're meant to do that. I know if I ordered via Amazon you'd only get charged when it shipped, but Amazon was far more expensive and didn't come with the free smartwatch.

Make sure you don't just buy something to get it a few days/weeks earlier, as you'll possibly regret it. If the Z2 has been delayed, it's not as if anyone else will get one before you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point. I will wait for something official from in EE about delay and how long it will be before jumping in to anything else.

EDIT: There maybe hope as they are currently only saying Sim free stock. I assume it might be ok for those signing onto contracts.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An EE store manager I know mentioned something about it being delayed - apparently there was some sort of internal communication sent out around the start of last week.

Whether that is related to the overall Z2 delays or is simply a reflection of EE's generally poor track record of getting new handsets into stores is another matter.
    Forum Member
    Tbh I'm not that impressed with EE.

Pre ordered the phone and got a dodgy email which was not formatted correctllu and didn't even have much information in it. Just said te phone was winging its way to me.

Then got a text the next day saying they hadn't forgotten about my z2. Well I bloody hope not...

Then there is no information on expected delivery date.

Their website has turned into a mess. I mean seriously what manager allows a buggy as hell new release of a website get signed off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a strange situation. EE records still say an April release and Vodafone have just confirmed to me it will be available from them from April 10th.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone pre-ordered the Z2 from CPW or P4U and expecting delivery this week? Or ordered directly from any of the networks?

Any news on when you'll be getting the phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that Phones 4u and CPW are trying to make sure they secure orders, and so both said last week that they hoped to have them in for the week commencing the 14th April (yesterday) but I'm sure I read that at least one has told people that it will now be the week commencing the 21st (the first day of which is a bank holiday, and the Friday before it is also a holiday).

I wouldn't be surprised if neither get any significant stock (or indeed any stock) much before everyone else - but will have got a bunch of preorders from people who believed that they'd beat the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it its going to be early May before any of us get the Z2. I hope its worth the wait. EE haven't said anything. I'm not sure if they are to blame or if its just a shambles on Sony's part, either way I would have expected some sort of contact from EE regarding the issue even if they are in the dark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony seems to have been quite honest early on, but some retailers and networks possibly didn't want to pass this info on.

I'd trust the likes of Amazon or Clove more than most, and they've said May (and not even May 1st either).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports from a site called "Digital Trends" suggest the delay of the Z2 could last several months. I am prepared to wait until early May but after that will have to decide between the M8 and S5 as I've been without a phone for a week as I naively sold my previous handset ahead of time. Has anybody else heard about the further delay?
    Forum Member
    To be honest I'm getting to the point where I may cancel my ee preorder and get. The m8 with three my current provider.

EE and Sony treating us like mugs. I get EE don't want to confirm a date they are unsure about but acknowledgment of the delay and a rough estimate should be the least they can provide. And no not the automated email.

Does anyone seriously believe companies would be so quiet on the subject if it was the iPhone 6 instead of the z2.

Sony. Well the whole shambles is putting me off TBH. Trying not to overreact too much but it's things like this that remind we how Sony will always be so close but never quite there.

I am wondering whether the delays aren't just shortage of parts and whether in fact there is something seriously wrong with the phone or even software and they don't/can't release until a fix is in place.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a problem with the camera when shooting in 4k mode it overheats and shuts the phone down. Dunno if this is the reason for tho.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learnt a while ago that pre-orders are normally nothing but hassle and you are far better off going into a store to try and find a phone.

I have got pre-orders after they arrive in stock in the phone stores so it does make a complete mockery of the whole thing.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only usually grab the pre-orders if there's a significant bonus to doing so, few years back I got the Galaxy S3 on pre-order as it came with a free £450 Galaxy Tab.