Are you a 'serious' DS poster or do you do it just for fun?

ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
Which one do you fall under? I'm most definitely the latter! It's only words on a screen innit? The amount of what seem genuinely irate posts I see posted on here make me howl! :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Both (But mostly for fun)
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it depends on what the thread or subject is about?
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Surely it depends on what the thread or subject is about?

Very good point YP! I just meant more generally, I'm not sure I could ever be truly offended by something I'd read on a screen. I find it alarming that so many posters genuinely "take offence" to things in here.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am always completely super cereal.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably 50/50.

I try not to be bothered by what some anonymous person types, simply because I don't know anything about them. Everyone has an opinion at the end of the day.

There are plenty of funny threads that make me laugh and quite a few informative ones too.

It's only a forum :)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends entirely on the mood I'm in.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly fun. You soon get to learn that 'serious' just isn't worth it...
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to be light and fun, but it depends on the situation. What I hate is when your trying not to take things too seriously in a not serious thread and someone takes a dig. Then I just get really down and have to go rage somewhere and swear violently at the screen :D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends. Sometimes I take things seriously and sometimes some threads are just so funny that I cant help posting on them.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very much serious, possibly a bit too much so at times, if possible. Ocassionally ill be more light hearted I suppose but then I usually include a smiley in such posts to indicate thats the case.
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    I'm here to have fun!! That's not to say I have never posted anything serious, because I have.

But I prefer to keep it lighthearted.

If something upsets me, I usually walk away from the keyboard :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly non-serious. It's the internet, not real life. I never get upset or offended on DS and like to hear different people's points of view, or talk/read about topics I wouldn't encounter in everyday life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serious all the time. There's no place for fun on these forums. Why would I want to spend any of my spare time having fun? No sir, every post a serious one from me.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come on here because I enjoy discussing different subjects, and if it made me miserable, I'd stop. That said, some of the subjects are serious, and needed to be treated with respect.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of both. And depends on if I've just been reading the daily mail
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Both. I post on serious topics but I don't take anything too seriously.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Totally, totally serial...
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I usually only post in the more fun, light hearted threads but if it's a subject I'm passionate about then I can become serious.

I just have to remind myself that thankfully some DS posters are not a reflection of the general population.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I've got a far better chance of having my opinions printed on a forum than in the newspapers.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadly serious. I am sitting at a computer posting on a forum. I am the centre of the universe, surrounded by gas giants. There's no room for levity or frivolity of any kind.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switch depending on my mood from seriousness to sillyness. Same goes for any communities and social media where I do not know the people IRL or isn't in some professional environment.

I'm far more careful and reserved if I know people; if I upset or annoy someone online that I don't actually know, then they won't remember me and I won't remember them in 6 months time. So they don't matter. However if I know them (i.e. On Facebook) or its a professional forum then those people matter so I'm much more careful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly non-serious. It's the internet, not real life. I never get upset or offended on DS and like to hear different people's points of view, or talk/read about topics I wouldn't encounter in everyday life.

The Internet IS real life though. People meet their future partners online. People use social media to stay in touch with friends and loved ones.

This whole notion that the 'Internet isn't real' thing is a misnomer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of both. I can be quite serious, but I can also be fun. I don't troll or make shit up though just for kicks - that's just daft.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Both.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never understand when people say that, it baffles me :confused: thats as if to say that its robots that create the content, not genuine humans or something. Of course its real life - ok your behind a screen but its still real, its not as if your imagining the messages you read lol :o