Options

Will Iphone 6 finally bring down Android?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Steve Jobs said this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15400984

Under Jobs they never moved off screen sizes like 3.5" which is perfectly good in my opinion anyway but there is a market demand for larger displays and the Iphone 5 and 5S being 4" still pull this off without being too big.

But anyway with Iphone 6 rumoured to have things like health book apps like the new Galaxy, two larger models 4.7" and 5.5", most likely NFC, A8 chip, improved camera optics (though I don't expect them to go overboard with pixels to sell this new device), maybe 4K video? Plus IOS8 which with the last redesign offers much of the advances which Android brought in I wonder if Apple will finally start to covert many Android users?

This fall I'd expect a line up of:

Iphone 5C replacing the Iphone 4S on a low price £15-18 tariff.
Iphone 5S talk is this will stay around maybe at the 5C current price of £29 per month?
Iphone 6 4.7" probably £38 pounds.
Iphone 6 5.5" this will probably be atleast £45 per month making it a premium.

No doubt the prices will be high but clearly the Iphone 6 would be there to compete with the Galaxy S5. The 5C will really come to the game since it will probably be offered at a much lower price. Flooding the market with options is something Samsung are good at and looks like Apple will be set to do the same. There all going to be amazing Iphones if that's the line up and for once Android users won't be able to grumble about the screen sizes on Iphones and so on. Surely even the most pro Android fans will be tempted by a 5.5" Iphone 6?

Comments

• Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want it to "bring down" Android? Competition is good.

And why on earth would I be tempted by a bigger screened iPhone? It will still be running iOS, it will still be in the iTunes walled garden, it will almost certainly still be missing functionality compared to an Android equivalent. A bigger screen only fixes one shortcoming of the thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    And why on earth would I be tempted by a bigger screened iPhone? It will still be running iOS, it will still be in the iTunes walled garden, it will almost certainly still be missing functionality compared to an Android equivalent. A bigger screen only fixes one shortcoming of the thing.

Some people like ITunes some don't. I don't get all the negativity about it though the app store is generally better than Android. Having everything backed up with icloud is ideal. Very rarely do I even plug my phone into ITunes as the software on the PC is not the best. Certainly if you use Ipods, Ipads and so on the Iphone will be more appealing to you but if you own a Galaxy tablet and Galaxy phone then you may be say tempted to stick with Samsung.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Why would you want it to "bring down" Android? Competition is good.

Very true it is.

But from an analysts point of view Apple has to put a dent in Androids sales figures so this year will be very interesting .
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like iOS simple as that, so a bigger screen will do nothing for me.

Im looking to get a Nokia Lumia 930 when its released, that'll be my next phone.
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Apple will never bring down android in a million years

The way things are going Apple will have more competition from Microsoft and there Windows Phones which are now getting a lot better

But to be honest they have all got there good sides and bad sides that's just part of life
    Competition is good for company's we in the end get better deals from them.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought so - mainly because there is a much wider range of Android handsets, at different price points, in different designs, by different manufacturers.

People get hung up on a few things Jobs said, but one that doesn't get bandied around so much was wham he said he thought it would be good if Apple could get 1% of the mobile phone market. At the end of the day, Apple is one manufacturer out of several, producing a small proportion of the total number of handsets. That the iPhone has done so well is pretty impressive, but when it comes to market share, given the above, it always seems a bit like comparing apples with oranges, where Apple is seen to be doing badly because it doesn't have a market share bigger than all the Android phones added together.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but when I think of a walled garden I think of something like Telewest's pretty dismal offering back in the late 90s / early 2000s that they pitched as the internet through your tv.

But something like iTunes in 2014? Some people might not like it, but its never seemed that limiting to me. I don't think its so much that iTunes, or the content you can get through iTunes is limiting or limited, and more than some people will have quite specific needs or preferences that aren't catered for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It feels a bit like North Korea when it comes to phones around here. Some people want everyone to have the same phone like Kim wants everyone to have the same haircut! Thank god democracy prevailed in the UK or we might have state issued mobile phones.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Iphone 6 finally bring down Android?

No, it won't.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    ^^^ what he said
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Some people like ITunes some don't. I don't get all the negativity about it though the app store is generally better than Android. Having everything backed up with icloud is ideal. Very rarely do I even plug my phone into ITunes as the software on the PC is not the best. Certainly if you use Ipods, Ipads and so on the Iphone will be more appealing to you but if you own a Galaxy tablet and Galaxy phone then you may be say tempted to stick with Samsung.

Apple haven't made a dent in Android sales for years, so this year will more than likely be no different.

iTunes is awful. At least on Windows it is. The app store on Android now is very good and is on par with the itunes store on the phone.

iCloud when i had my iphone was absolutely vile. Deleted things for the sake of it, backups weren't reliable, it was just awful. That was in 2012 so maybe things have changed, but i still see complaints about it.

I have everything backed up with Google drive which is fine and never caused me any issues. I've never in fact plugged an Android phone into my PC for years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so - mainly because there is a much wider range of Android handsets, at different price points, in different designs, by different manufacturers.

People get hung up on a few things Jobs said, but one that doesn't get bandied around so much was wham he said he thought it would be good if Apple could get 1% of the mobile phone market. At the end of the day, Apple is one manufacturer out of several, producing a small proportion of the total number of handsets. That the iPhone has done so well is pretty impressive, but when it comes to market share, given the above, it always seems a bit like comparing apples with oranges, where Apple is seen to be doing badly because it doesn't have a market share bigger than all the Android phones added together.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but when I think of a walled garden I think of something like Telewest's pretty dismal offering back in the late 90s / early 2000s that they pitched as the internet through your tv.

But something like iTunes in 2014? Some people might not like it, but its never seemed that limiting to me. I don't think its so much that iTunes, or the content you can get through iTunes is limiting or limited, and more than some people will have quite specific needs or preferences that aren't catered for.

MY GOD!!!

I agree with you!! :D

Always a first! :D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, when Mac OS finally brings down Windows :D:p
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

As an ecosystem Apple is great. I like the rich content of Apps, music and video content. I have an ipad which allows me to access this. However the reason why I prefer android and keep and android phone and tablet are numerous.

Customisability
    Expandable storage
    Better notifications
    Advanced sharing options
    Better media management
    Removable battery
    Filling system

At the moment Android also offer me a larger screen. The google ecosystem has also expanded rapidly in the past few years, save for some TV shows I can get virtually everything I want on android.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone too expensive on my wages I'm afraid :(

:D
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus IOS8 which with the last redesign offers much of the advances which Android brought in I wonder if Apple will finally start to covert many Android users?

Doesn't matter. Android dominates in sales but Apple has 75% of mobile profits and about $150 billion cash. So long as it's existing base sticks with them they'll be fine.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdduk wrote: »
    The way things are going Apple will have more competition from Microsoft and there Windows Phones which are now getting a lot better.

As a newbie I have Windows Phone. As I've not tried anything else I don't know how it compares (though I have recently acquired an iPad).

But I get the impression that iPhone users, when they want to try something different, tend to go for WP rather than Android. Maybe because the delivery model is similar?
  • Options
    Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    All my iphone mates say they would never get a phone like mine as its far too big s4/s5

I ask them what will they do if the next iphone is a biggie??? no comment

I'm guessing they'll eat humble pie and get one...then they'll get some stick ha ha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex_1 wrote: »
    All my iphone mates say they would never get a phone like mine as its far too big s4/s5

I'm guessing they'll eat humble pie and get one...then they'll get some stick ha ha :D

Like my dad who is the biggest iphone nut i have ever seen. He claims my Nexus 5 is just way too big to be usable. When i met him this morning for coffee, he started talking about the new iphone coming out which has a possible 5" screen. He said it would be great to use a phone with a bigger screen at last......:confused:

The look he gave me when he clicked on to what he said was priceless!!
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Iphone is so far behind Android, version 100 will still not bring even Android's KitKat down!!
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_1 wrote: »

That's assuming the iPhone 6 will be bigger. Or more specifically, only bigger. Maybe there'll be a 4" version. In fact I'd put good odds on it.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im confused, do you mean will iOS finally bring down Android instead? As an iPhone is a piece of hardware and Android is software.

Its not going to happen as Apple do not have products in the market segment where Android sells the most, the cheap junkie end, those £60 handsets that are painfully slow and not an overall nice experience like the Samsung Galaxy Y.

But its all good, keeps Apple on their toes..... which means means my next iPhone will be better.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Bring down android? WTF?

But the way to do it would not be to add features already in android yet charge twice as much.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I think Apples market share is going to continue to shrink but shipments worldwide will stay the same.

I don't see Apple shipping over 160 million units in 2014.
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sure, when Mac OS finally brings down Windows :D:p

Yeah Apple will have to drop there prices first never gonna happen Apple are to greedy :D
  • Options
    Kyliefan001Kyliefan001 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    HTC One M8

Need I say more!