Options

Chaos at Work

Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
I started a job just over two months ago.

When I joined, the company seemed very high end in its area, however since that initial impression things have become clearer.

Firstly the boss is nice enough at times, but is someone who constantly has you on edge as you never know what you are getting day to day.

They will be nice enough and then the next day or next conversation, they are treating you as though you are trying to get away with stuff or talking to you like a child or that you have done something stupid.

I have also met a ex employee from here and he says it can be a nightmare to work here and conflict and arguments are frequent.

A colleague also tells me they have been through lots of workers who have either been sacked after small incidents or have been driven away by being shouted at.

This was all before I started but recently a new employee lasted only a short time before being sacked.

I have been here 2 months and have never enjoyed the job. (I love the work generally having worked in the same area for almost 10 years, but not this job)

I always feel on edge and never settled, but after being out of work for a few months before getting here I am loathed to quit.

My colleagues are nice, but I sense there is only a matter of time before people quit or get sacked.

The whole thing leaves me feeling down, which is unusual for me. I am normally relaxed and like a job where things are relatively certain and I can work to live.

So I just would like some advice on your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I think maybe you should try and find another job before this one really starts to knacker your health. It doesn't sound worth staying there even although it is a job. You got this one so you can get another, right? good luck.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use this job as a stepping stone to something more suitable. Start looking for a job now whilst you are in one. Regard yourself as a temp where you are and don't get caught up in all the office politics and dodgy work relationships which may lead you to getting sacked. You got your current job, even if it took a while, so there will be something else for you if you keep at it. Play the long game. If your health is affected though, bail out if you can afford it.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get the hell out
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Look for another job, but don't leave this one until you have something else to go to. It's easier to go from one job to another than from unemployed to employed. It doesn't reflect badly on you to tell your current employers and future employers that this particular job wasn't what you were expecting. It does sound a bit dire.

Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Your description reminds me strongly of a job I had more than 20 years ago. That was a tiny firm run by a very volatile individual. To start with you were the best thing since etc., and then you noticed how quick the turnover was (there were only about 4 employees). Luckily the boss was there for 2 weeks and then away for two weeks. She would jump on any error, and we used to 'boss proof' our faxes by running them past each other before sending (yes, it was before email - probably a blessing).

I lasted 18 months before being 'made redundant' - entirely spuriously. I had seen about 6 others come and go in that time. I should have got out earlier. However, it was a decent stepping stone for me at that time in my career, and I got lots of experience, professional connections, and some close friends out of it (it was all quite bonding within the team). But the day I was 'let go' it felt like a huge cloud had been lifted. I was unemployed for a few months, but - taking a long view - am fairly happy with where I have ended up.

I think the advice to stay as long as you can and use it as a stepping stone is good, and strongly endorse the bit about not getting involved in the politics and taking none of it personally. But do remember that if it starts to affect your health or to get you down to a detrimental degree then you can just leave.
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could be describing the place I work at at the moment.

Start looking for another job. The longer you stay the more you'll either be wondering if you're out next or develop an unhealthy 'couldn't care less' attitude to your work, which isn't good for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I worked in a place like this and couldn't wait to leave. How these bosses don't realise their attitudes have an adverse effect on productivity is beyond me.

This was a small family owned business too. The boss had his daughter as the manager. That fat, ignorant, arrogant lump couldn't manage to put a correct shape into a corresponding hole, never mind people.

I wonder if this is usual for family run businesses? Now I work at home and it's just me and the dog...love it. :D
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I think it may be affecting me a bit, I mean I am generally quite a happy person, but things do stress me and I have found since working here, I have been thinking about work a lot in my home time.

Usually I leave work at work, but I find myself thinking through things a lot now and I feel very muddled in my head.

Finding it a bit hard to be myself and enjoy things outside work as much.
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the other posters - start looking for something else now. Best of luck with everything.