Do you feel like a bad person when you vote UKIP/SNP?

1235»

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,565
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    So how about we just allow those in most likely to make a net contribution or with qualifications where we have skill shortages rather than an open door system. It's what Canada, New Zealand and Australia do - and it's also UKIP policy.

I'm stating the obvious here, but that can only happen if (a) we get a referendum and (b) that referendum results in us leaving the EU. Neither seems all that likely at present.
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    Even if that was true, is the economy the only criteron by which you judge immigration?

No, it isn't, but that was the particular criterion mentioned in the post I responded to.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling to see how your response as any serious connection to what Its Nick wrote.

The use of resources by the aging population has frequently received coverage on here and the fact is that those people, moreso than at present, paid their dues to be looked after in old age.

The aging population is not just those who are old now, nor just those who have "contributed more so than at present" - whatever that means.

Are you suggesting that if we curb, stop or reverse immigration, all our current and future old folk will be looked after (provided of course they meet some criteria for contribution)?
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    No, it isn't, but that was the particular criterion mentioned in the post I responded to.

Another cop-out by jjwales. Your answer was clearly wrong.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'm stating the obvious here, but that can only happen if (a) we get a referendum and (b) that referendum results in us leaving the EU. Neither seems all that likely at present.

Or Cameron renegotiates with the EU resulting in a rewrite of the freedom of movement clause. If that happened (which I think the Tories want) then I think they'd steal a lot of the UKIP vote back - or at least stop losing MPs and voters to them. I don't know if he'd be able to get that past the EU. I suppose it would depend on whether France, Germany and Italy had any significant opposition to freedom of movement as an economic concern.

Where is he on that? It was in the news maybe about a month ago but nothing since that I've noticed - not that I've been looking that hard so possibly missed some news.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    The aging population is not just those who are old now, nor just those who have "contributed more so than at present" - whatever that means.

Whatever that means is that people in the past were far less in receipt of benefits, worked longer hours, paid tax and NI contributions for a longer period than is the case today.
    Are you suggesting that if we curb, stop or reverse immigration, all our current and future old folk will be looked after (provided of course they meet some criteria for contribution)?

Well I can't see where I mentioned immigration but since you want it brought in then the "aging population" consists of a considerable number of immigrants and, in many cases, their offspring and relatives who, like many homegrown people, have never and are unlikely ever, to contribute to their future welfare
    Forum Member
    Another cop-out by jjwales. Your answer was clearly wrong.

What were the cop-outs, and why was my answer wrong? :confused:
  • jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Nope, not one bit.

The two main parties in NI's forced cotillion (DUP/SF) are continuing to ruin this country into the ground.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should thank ukip for the pressure they have applied on the stale old similar two main parties. Look at brown calling that old lady racist! 6 years on we can freely discuss immigration without fear of being called a racist. UKIP have democraticly voiced a concern for the good of Britain and the other parties have had to listen.
    So I am proud to have made a difference!
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the main, immigrants contribute to the economy. That doesn't mean that every single immigrant does - you have to look at the picture as a whole.
    But can't you see that the immigrants who DON'T contribute to the economy have still got to be housed and that costs money.
    I mean lets say that 100 immigrants came to this country and they all had their own flat. 60 of them contributed to the economy in a positive way and 40 didn't. The 40 that don't still have to live in their flat which means that the government will have to dish out benefits to those 40. That is money the government wouldn't have to spend if we had an immigration system where EVERYONE already had a job lined up. It's money they could spend on improving public services. Maybe the councils wouldn't be encouraged to turn street lights off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    People should thank ukip for the pressure they have applied on the stale old similar two main parties.
    Gotta grant him that one, people!
    If it wasn't for UKIP there's a number of issues would have just been kicked into the long grass that need to be tackled head-on.
    It's just a shame that it wasn't a more efficient political party that can actually give the others a proper run for their money.
    ItsNick wrote: »
    But can't you see that the immigrants who DON'T contribute to the economy have still got to be housed and that costs money.
    And another fair point (this is getting weird :D). Spoiled only by over-reliance on dodgy figures. As it's generally reported - by the official stats too - that migrants are a net profit to the country, you're clearly not looking at 40% not contributing.
    (I'll own up here, I can't be arsed to look up a bookmarked site at the moment for the figures of non-contributory immigrants, but it's considerably lower % than the UK non-contributory figures).
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted UKIP once. As I left the polling booth I felt the blood of of thousands of racism victims drip from by hands. Only kidding.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    People should thank ukip for the pressure they have applied on the stale old similar two main parties. Look at brown calling that old lady racist!

When did that happen?

As I recall he called a bigoted woman, a "bigoted woman".

'Racist' didn't come into the comment.
  • DrillerKillerDrillerKiller Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    **Yawn**

From what I saw in the run up to the Scottish referendum there was some pretty nasty anti-English sentiment coming from SNP/Yes supporters. Therefore please tell us how "left wing nationalism" is less xenophobic?

Exactly where did you see this... Got a link...was it like loads of the anti scottish crap i still see on here on a daily basis?
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    UKIP voters are being demonised.

Don't be a wimp people - stand firm.

From what I see they are mostly being demonised by rabid kippers such as yourself every time they post on forums.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    When did that happen?

As I recall he called a bigoted woman, a "bigoted woman".

'Racist' didn't come into the comment.

Funny how Brown didnt think she was bigoted when he discovered she was a Labour voter... :D
    Forum Member
    People should thank ukip for the pressure they have applied on the stale old similar two main parties. Look at brown calling that old lady racist! 6 years on we can freely discuss immigration without fear of being called a racist. UKIP have democraticly voiced a concern for the good of Britain and the other parties have had to listen.

Do you often find yourself being called a racist then ?