Drunken 'Parties' at London Zoo

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
Have you ever heard anything so stupid.
The welfare of animals at London zoo is being put at risk by drunken visitors at its Friday night parties, including one incident in which a man poured beer over a tiger before being thrown out by staff.

Another incident this month saw a man strip off and attempt to enter the penguin pool, forcing staff to intervene. There are also unconfirmed reports that a drunken woman tried to enter the lion enclosure in June.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/18/london-zoo-party-night-animal-welfare

I don't care how much the zoo thinks it needs the money. It's just a really dumb idea!
However, people regularly sing loudly at the time many species would normally be beginning to go to sleep.

On a Friday evening in July, the Guardian witnessed crowds shouting in the gorilla area beneath a sign reading “respect our home, be thoughtful, be quiet, be kind”. Security guards only intervened when flash photography was used.

One zookeeper at the penguin beach was asked by a man leaning over the glass barrier, “Which penguin can I fight?” while another zookeeper radioed a colleague to say a few people had been “a bit touchy feely” with the baby penguins.

Such disrespect makes me sick.

Comments

• HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pity that the man who poured beer over a tiger was thrown out rather than thrown in i.e. in with the tiger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand people that have no respect for animals. I was in the aquarium in London a few years ago and a woman who worked there said please no flash photography as you'll blind the fish. Seconds later guess what everyone is doing >:(

I also hate people who treat lions and such as though they're cuddly teddies. Again it's a complete lack of respect for the animal. It's they're own fault when they get chomped on yet the poor animal usually ends up suffering for it.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Boofie wrote: »
    I can't stand people that have no respect for animals. I was in the aquarium in London a few years ago and a woman who worked there said please no flash photography as you'll blind the fish. Seconds later guess what everyone is doing >:(

I also hate people who treat lions and such as though they're cuddly teddies. Again it's a complete lack of respect for the animal. It's they're own fault when they get chomped on yet the poor animal usually ends up suffering for it.

Agreed. I don't know how these 'parties' can ever be acceptable.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the "Zoolates" thing? I agree it's a stupid idea but then what do I know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, running a zoo, especially as big as London, is very expensive. They need to skim as much as they can from the Boris Johnson wannabes. They could probably dress up as penguins and tigers and let the real animals have a night off, the braying yahoos wouldn't know the difference.
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Zoo lattes. Didn't see any animals as they were all in their shelters. Guess it's an experience though and a novelty for the city folk. There's also that cat cafe in Shoreditch where people can stroke cats as they're having their cappucinos which seems a bit weird too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    I've been to Zoo lattes. Didn't see any animals as they were all in their shelters. Guess it's an experience though and a novelty for the city folk. There's also that cat cafe in Shoreditch where people can stroke cats as they're having their cappucinos which seems a bit weird too

That's very weird, our cats won't touch cappucinos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Is this the "Zoolates" thing? I agree it's a stupid idea but then what do I know.

I have been to loads of zoo lates and never seen anything untoward at all. They always have a lovely party atmosphere but with people respectful towards the animals. Since they have a bag-check on the door and the drinks cost an arm and a leg, I think sheer finance keeps most people within bounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:confused: How can you possibly have gone to a major zoo and not seen any animals? Did you spend the entire evening in the bar?
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: How can you possibly have gone to a major zoo and not seen any animals? Did you spend the entire evening in the bar?

The majority of them were hiding in the covered areas presumably to escape the noise. Plus it was quite dark.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont piss off Badgers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of them were hiding in the covered areas presumably to escape the noise. Plus it was quite dark.

Well I don't know what zoo it was. I have been to London and Whipsnade lates, and you couldn't possibly have not seen animals there. The rainforest bit of London zoo is brilliant because it is full of animals that sleep through the day then shoot about full of energy in the evening. If you want to see armadillos running to and fro, that is your place. And when we went to see the lovely lesbian aardvaarks they were actually jumping up and down to look at us.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »

Flash won't blind a fish.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    They had these late night parties last summer in Edinburgh Zoo. No reports of any wrongdoings though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash won't blind a fish.

Just repeating what I was told.