Steps: Best Studio Album.

pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For all us Steps fans i was just wondering what your favourite Steos studio album is, and what songs etc you like dont like from the albums.

Favourite Steps Studio Album? 50 votes

Step One.
22% 11 votes
Steptacular.
36% 18 votes
Buzz.
42% 21 votes

Comments

• hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the BEST steps album would have to be 'Buzz' I LOVED this album to death (i got it if i remember as a present for my first filling (I WAS NERVOUS and scared needles)) i just liked it because it was soooo much more edgier dance music then we have had from them for me this album transitioned them from a cheesey pop band it to an amazing pop/dance act if they kept on making music who knows where it could of took them.

My best tracks from the album would have to be: Stomp, Buzzz, Paradise Lost, You'll Be Sorry, Happy Go Lucky, Hand On Your Heart, Summer Of Love & Turn Around.

If they ever do go back in the studio to put out another album I hope they get them in the studio with people like RedOne, David Guetta and Tiësto or any other good dance producer!
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite...bar the Greatest Hits...would be Steptacular. Least favourite...Buzzz.
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While i do like buzz and did/do enjoy all their studio album buzz wasnt cheesey enough for me comparing to the other 2, step one i bought on release which i think was after the release of last thing on my mind and i remember loving it and thinking that apart from the isngles it has some great songs aswell, i also like the front sleeve etc for the album, back to you is still a big stand out for me from that album.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...If they ever do go back in the studio to put out another album I hope they get them in the studio with people like RedOne, David Guetta and Tiësto or any other good dance producer!

The trouble is, everyone is using RedOne and David Guetta. While both are good producers, Steps need to retain a distinctive sound. I am sure Pete Waterman would offer some tracks...but maybe they should look at Xenomania / Freemasons to. Whatever they do, they must avoid sounding like The Saturdays for example. I say they need to hang onto their pop / dance / europop sound.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked steptacular but love Buzz very much..very close for me
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised at how difficult I found that. LOL. I had to go and have a look back at them all!

I opted for Step One.

I know it's the first one, and it's probably quite surprising, but I really do love it. There's not a single song on it I skip.

However, Steptacular has 5 of my favourite Steps songs on it (Love's Got a Hold Of My Heart, Say You'll Be Mine, Make It Easy On Me, Movin' On and Since You Took Your Love Away) and Buzz has some real gems on. (Wouldn't Hurt so Bad <3, If You Believe, Never Get Over You, Happy Go Lucky, It's The Way You Make Me Feel <3) so, whilst Step One is the one I picked, it's by no means ahead by a way.

I know Gold isn't an option, probably bcause it's just a compilation of the others, but for me, it's worth a vote purely for Words Are Not Enough.

I do love them all, though. :D
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Buzz best.

The first two albums were good but very bubblegum and the Abba-esque sound got irritating and generic after the first few songs, plus they're almost identical.

Buzz was when they first found a more unique and dare I say mature sound. I think it's fair to say early Steps was very child-friendly while the in the buzz era they evolved from kid music to party music.
  • Cherry7UpCherry7Up Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step One is my first choice,and gets my vote. I loved the singles,but loved some of the album tracks even more : Love U More,This Heart Will Love Again,and Back To You.

Too Weak To Resist & Experienced are a bit rubbish though.
    Last Thing On My Mind had a good B side (A Love To Last) that I'd liked to have been on the album.

Steptacular - 2nd choice.
    I loved the singles,except When I Said Goodbye.
    I was so happy that they did another Bananarama track (Movin On).
    Make It Easy On Me sounds a bit weedy,but I'm used to Sybil singing it,and she does it better.
    I like My Best Friends Girl,and I Surrender. The rest of the non singles were a bit disappointing for me.

Buzz - love The Way You Make Me Feel & Here & Now. The other singles are just ok. I don't mind them doing a Kylie track,but they should've steered clear of BTDYK. I wish they'd gone for something like Turn it Into Love,or one of the non singles from Kylie's Rhythm of Love album.
    I don't like any of the Buzz non singles ,bar If You Believe.
    I'd have liked them to have revamped another of Bananarama's lesser known singles,like More Than Physical ,or Trick of the Night.

I've never stopped listening to Step One since it was first released.
    Steptacular gets played now and again.
    Buzz,gathers dust.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step One
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im happy to see step one doing quite well as i was thought i would be the only one voting for it.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's difficult, but I went for Buzz. Some super tracks on that album. ITWYMMF, You'll Be Sorry, Learn To Love Again, Never Get Over You, Here & Now, If You Believe... a lot more grown up than their other albums, and edging away from the cheesy pop.

However. Steptacular contains possibly one of the best Steps songs ever, Never Say Never Again! :D

Step One was the first album I ever owned. I got it on cassette (:eek:) for Christmas. I'd have only been about 8 or 9 but i listened to it endlessly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the vote is far closer than i expected which is good and they all have votes too which is also good, overall i think its fair to say they never made a bad album, all 3 studio albums were good.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzz is my favourite album by far! The first two have good stuff but also some really poor, corny, weak songs, imo. But Buzz is in a whole different league. Much better crafted, catchier, more mature songs overall. I love practically all the songs on Buzz.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steptacular. After The Love Has Gone, Love's Got A Hold On My Heart. Say You'll Be Mine etc
  • rodenboyrodenboy Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step One by far!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Steptacular but I loved all three. :D
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Steptacular...most of my favourite steps songs are on there especially say you'll be mine and love's got a hold on my heart.
    That whole album brings back some great childhood memories and never fails to make me smile when i hear it. :)
    Next would be step one then Buzz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant believe how close this vote still is.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzz is my fave. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was looking up Steps Irish chart album history and with the ultimate collection enerting at number 20 this week it already has beaten all their other album apart from gold.

I could find the step one chart run or peak but i found:
    Steptacular #32 peak
    Buzz #23 peak
    Gold #1
    Last dance didnt chart.