Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XIX (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Just re-watching the final moments of Raw again.The camera angles of the crowd doing the YES chants are just amazing.1 of my favourite endings to a Raw in a while.

Agreed.really good job from the director on that one.

As for hhh I always loved him whenever he was heel. Face less so. I really hope he fights punk at mania , although cm punk winning would be foregone conclusion

Remember in 2000 they did a corporate DX thing with McMahon Helmsley era? Love it if bBatista cost cena title at rumble and they reformed evolution alongside authority
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    99% certain CM Punk and Triple H are facing off at WM 30.

I see the news of the day is Sting is back in talks with WWE, again. You know it's Wrestlemania season when that's happening :D
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think of this idea of inducting matches into the Hall of Fame? I think it could work - they could have a Hall of Fame section on the Network and do a documentary sort of thing around the match like they did with that Vintage episode on Shawn vs Bret.

I assume Mae Young goes into the Hall of Fame this year. Or was she already in?
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »

Mae's already in there. Went in about 5 years ago iirc?

Also, do you think Vince is already thinking of ways to keep Wrestlemania buyrates healthy once Undertaker decides to hang up his boots? I can't see him doing more than 2 more Mania matches tbh (this year and at a push, next year).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do people think of this idea of inducting matches into the Hall of Fame? I think it could work - they could have a Hall of Fame section on the Network and do a documentary sort of thing around the match like they did with that Vintage episode on Shawn vs Bret.

2008 she went in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks guys. I should've Googled it but my laziness was showing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring??? I thought that was great. HHH was the monster heel and the venom that they generated from the fans was amazing added to the fact that The Rock was insanely over with practically everyone. That was anything but boring. The greatest period in wrestling there.

I'm glad Austin wasnt around for that period because The Rock managed to grow as a face and take part in that amazing feud with HHH.

There is a difference hating a heel were supposed to boo and dispising a heel because we just dont want him on tv.

Quite frankly I was fed up with the damn HHH/Steph era it sucked as hell. I did rewatch it recently and kept looking at my watch saying is it over yet.

And people have a cheek to complain about Vince interviews being long.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Matches should not be i. The hall of fame then again pete rose is another one who shouldnt be in there.

This year should be.

Warrior
    Randy savage
    British bulldog
    Vader
    Jake roberts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People didn't have the same animosity for HHH back then - he wasn't even married to Stephanie then. He was a deserving top heel because he was that damn good (:D) so obviously he would be one of the main focuses of the show.

He was transitioning into a face in autumn 2000 and would have been way over. Also, check out the pop he got on the Raw after Mania 17. Again, massive reaction. The crowd were ready for HHH as a top face and it had all been planned out. It was unlucky for him because it would have been huge and he could've been a bigger star than he is even now. Plus, his injury was unlucky whatever the wider circumstance.

To say that people were sick of him in 2000 (considering he had only really been in the main event scene since Summerslam 1999) is revisionism based on his future actions.

He obviously knew that getting involved with Steph meant he could stay on the top of the main event scene. Mid 99 he was pretty undeserving.

Still to this day I get a sadistic smile on my face when I watch mania 12 and see Warrior smacking him around.

Take 2004 for instance once benoit won the belt every title match had to be all about Hunter getting the title back with endless rematches. Ok Benoit did get Kane on one PPV but it was just like just keep getting title matches until you win.

Doesnt suprise me he lobbied Orton to win the belt just so creative could see how bland Randy was with the belt just so Hunter can take it off him.

It was a recurring pattern because he did the same thing with Rock in 2000 & the same thing with Goldberg in 2003 every freaking PPV he has to be in the main event.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Also, do you think Vince is already thinking of ways to keep Wrestlemania buyrates healthy once Undertaker decides to hang up his boots? I can't see him doing more than 2 more Mania matches tbh (this year and at a push, next year).

WrestleMania is probably at the point it can sell as an iconic entertainment brand. However, I can envision Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle back in time for WM 31. Brock Lesnar is still relatively young. A heel run for John Cena is always an option - however unlikely it seems. CM Punk and Randy Orton will leave sooner or later, which means they'll be brought back.

Celebrities!! With Hogan not around they were used to sell WM 10 and 11.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a difference hating a heel were supposed to boo and dispising a heel because we just dont want him on tv.

Quite frankly I was fed up with the damn HHH/Steph era it sucked as hell. I did rewatch it recently and kept looking at my watch saying is it over yet.

And people have a cheek to complain about Vince interviews being long.

We??? I'll assume you're using in that in context to yourself here.

I also assume you just dont like HHH at all hence why you hated that period.

HHH in 2000 was the bad ass heel who everyone booed and hated as a character. His promo's and matches got reactions and done well enough to be a main event player. That's hardly the sign of someone who the people where apparently bored off.
  • Options
    sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be bothered reading back all the pages, but how about that pop for D Bryan? That has got to be Austin/Rock level. Not heard anything like that in ages.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Matches should not be i. The hall of fame then again pete rose is another one who shouldnt be in there.

This year should be.

Warrior
    Randy savage
    British bulldog
    Vader
    Jake roberts

I'm not big on putting Roberts in there tbh but it seems the hot thing to do.

Vader certainly, if not just for his Japan work! Savage again should have been in ages ago (issues aside)

I wonder it being a milestone whether Jim Johnston will finally get his nod. He's been with the company 30 years now.

Celebrity wise Mr.T seems a popular WM1 related choice. Personally with Hogan around I'd be looking at Cindi Lauper, she had a massive impact

My other wildcards are Mike McGuirk along with Todd Pettingill and Sean Mooney. All 3 on good WWE terms which will help.

Posthumous induction (aside Savage) Lord Alfred Hayes

I really like the idea, be great to see wrestlers who were mainly big on the territories get a chance to be showcased (like Orndorff)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously knew that getting involved with Steph meant he could stay on the top of the main event scene. Mid 99 he was pretty undeserving.

Still to this day I get a sadistic smile on my face when I watch mania 12 and see Warrior smacking him around.

Take 2004 for instance once benoit won the belt every title match had to be all about Hunter getting the title back with endless rematches. Ok Benoit did get Kane on one PPV but it was just like just keep getting title matches until you win.

Doesnt suprise me he lobbied Orton to win the belt just so creative could see how bland Randy was with the belt just so Hunter can take it off him.

It was a recurring pattern because he did the same thing with Rock in 2000 & the same thing with Goldberg in 2003 every freaking PPV he has to be in the main event.

You really think he lobbied to get the belt off Rock (hottest star in the world) and Vince just gave it to him? That's delusional. He traded the title with Rock because they were feuding. It made total sense. Talking about getting together with Steph to get to the top - was he even with her before they got put in a story together? He was undoubtedly ready to be a champion in 1999 and had a list of classic matches in 2000 long enough to put him in contention for being MVP for that year, the greatest year in WWE history in many people's opinion.

Yeah he pulled some crap later on but let's not pretend that his career had no merit and that he's no good. Typical internet hater nonsense. I thought most people had got over that phase.

EDIT: On the Hall of Fame stuff - Savage should definitely get in but I think they should hold off until next year to give him top billing. They can put in Jake, Demolition maybe, perhaps NAO seeing they've been on TV a good bit recently and maybe another upper midcard guy from the 80s. If Trish is in then Lita should be too.

How about Scott Hall?
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogan signed and sting is in talks for Wrestlemania.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »

I have absolutely zero and I mean zero to see Steve Borden do his only WWE stint as a washed up old bloke after a payday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, instead of Royal Rumble, internet rumours of Sting signing for WWE should be considered to be the start of Wrestlemania
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, instead of Royal Rumble, internet rumours of Sting signing for WWE should be considered to be the start of Wrestlemania

His TNA contract is up soon, though judging by the dirt sheets TNA must contract on a week to week basis :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about i lay some cold hard facts on you, since you seem hell bent on ignoring sense.

Back then in 2004 Randy Orton was a very heavy drug addict and a major pain in the ass, that is why he lost the belt to Triple H not because of any imaginary reason you think is fact.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    You really think he lobbied to get the belt off Rock (hottest star in the world) and Vince just gave it to him? That's delusional. He traded the title with Rock because they were feuding. It made total sense. Talking about getting together with Steph to get to the top - was he even with her before they got put in a story together? He was undoubtedly ready to be a champion in 1999 and had a list of classic matches in 2000 long enough to put him in contention for being MVP for that year, the greatest year in WWE history in many people's opinion.

Yeah he pulled some crap later on but let's not pretend that his career had no merit and that he's no good. Typical internet hater nonsense. I thought most people had got over that phase.

EDIT: On the Hall of Fame stuff - Savage should definitely get in but I think they should hold off until next year to give him top billing. They can put in Jake, Demolition maybe, perhaps NAO seeing they've been on TV a good bit recently and maybe another upper midcard guy from the 80s. If Trish is in then Lita should be too.

How about Scott Hall?

I definitely think Lita should be inducted and maybe the original nWo. I think NAO should be inducted with DX, maybe next year.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I have absolutely zero and I mean zero to see Steve Borden do his only WWE stint as a washed up old bloke after a payday

Whilst I think it would be great to see a legend like Sting, surely at the end of his career, on the biggest event the industry has known
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sergio2006 wrote: »
    Can't be bothered reading back all the pages, but how about that pop for D Bryan? That has got to be Austin/Rock level. Not heard anything like that in ages.

Yeah man, he's this era's Mick Foley/Stone Cold.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »

There's rumours about Sting and WWE every time his contract runs out.

Happened last year and the year before. I honestly can't see him working for Vince, ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about Scott Hall?

Rock deserved a long title reign.

Hunter was the one who made vince change the decision so a heel went out winning in the main event of mania.

Dont really see why they couldnt have just had Rock win the belt at mania and lose the title in October.

Always hated those short title runs. Even Mick Foley would have been to be a better champion if they actually let him walk out and retire as champion which I think they had planned to do but no Hunter political his way to make sure that didnt happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think Lita should be inducted and maybe the original nWo. I think NAO should be inducted with DX, maybe next year.

If they induct the original NWO does that mean Scott Norton gets in?
This discussion has been closed.