The Good Wife - Season 5 - More4 Pace *No Spoilers*

Comments

• AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    So many beautiful touches.

David Lane – I thought he left the meeting to go and start positioning himself for succession… but no, he left the partners’ meeting to hide his own upset.

Diane getting rid of the tearful one-weeker…

Kalinda generally: such understated range of emotions done so well…

Cary suddenly finding his inner steel… and he's needed to do that for all of this season - Alicia isn't your mum, Cary.

And firing the client… good on ya, Diane.

Grace… so sweet

And now we understand the reason Damien Boyle was there – just to give Alicia 12 hours of angst. :D

What an enormously moving episode.

I wonder if Will's girlfriend (they didn't marry, did they?) is pregnant. I can't see any other reason for her to have been mentioning children at the time and it seems odd that she had some strong scenes only to vanish. I suppose it could be like Damien Boyle - they decided the storyline went nowhere and ditched her - but they knew they were killing Will off so why bother introducing her in the first place if not for a specific reason?

Nice summary and I tend to agree with all.

However, I really didn't like the Kalinda parts this week. She has always been one of my favourite characters so I don't like to criticise, or the writers, but that whole story about getting close to Jeffrey in prison - as if!! And would she really be so unkind and unprofessional and uncharacteristic? OK, I get she was upset at the loss of Will (although, have we seen them be so very close in the past, as they were last episode?) ... but a shame it had to be so far-fetched (to my mind anyway).

I can forgive The Good Wife (almost) anything though, so roll on next week!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    So, the aftermath.

Amazed no one knew what had happened at LG, when Diane arrived, same with Alicia's lot - they had no idea what had happened at the Court....someone there, must have known who had been shot, and contacted someone at LG. Pete's people, the same.

Liked David's 2 seconds of emotion.:(
    Kalinda investigates: was good.:cool:
    And Cary has a back bone.:o

"Are you done crying"
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Bel110 :) I took my spoiler tags off because it was absurd of me to treat my personal musings as needing a warning!

I decided me pondering about an existing character who hasn't even been seen for several episodes really wasn't in any way "wrong" and I was pandering too much to those who seem to feel any discussion of what might happen should be forbidden.

You may well be right, though... I can't see what a Will Jr would bring to the dramatic mix except a lot of severely broody looks from Alicia! :D

lol ... yes funnily enough I was thinking I was going to say that if this discussion continued then it really didn´t need to be in spoiler tags! Hopefully you won´t be turned upon if shock horror she was pregnant!!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why was the secretary who was only at LG for a week crying so much? Did she have a thing for Will, have a fling with him or is she just one of those overly emotional people?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No connection to Will, afaIaa. Bandwagon grief? I read it as Diane - in the face of real tragedy and personal loss - having no time for the gushing, meaningless emotion displayed by someone who didn't even know Will.

Although, people react to shock, to sudden illness or death differently, especially if it is a young(ish) and apparently fit and healthy person who has died. So while it was a nice mement for story telling purposes, it is the sort of reaction that would be genuine for some people.

I suppose it's the funeral next week... more tears! Though I think we can now dispense with Alicia's hallucinations of Will... please. :D
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Bel110 :) I took my spoiler tags off because it was absurd of me to treat my personal musings as needing a warning!

I decided me pondering about an existing character who hasn't even been seen for several episodes really wasn't in any way "wrong" and I was pandering too much to those who seem to feel any discussion of what might happen should be forbidden.

You may well be right, though... I can't see what a Will Jr would bring to the dramatic mix except a lot of severely broody looks from Alicia! :D

Because it may one of those things that are down to individual taste, I can't speak for everyone who posts on here, but for me it's not so much a discussion about what might happen that bothers me. Rather it is discussions or hints about what has already happened that bugs me, especially by people who have already seen an episode on US PACE and know already what others who haven't seen it on UK PACE should expect.

Hints like: 'Oh, the next episode is going to be great! Keep watching!' or 'You guys are going to be in for a shocker!' Why do I hate that and describe those kind of hints as a spoiler? Because they divulge content and episodic experience on an episode already aired in the US - i.e. they are hinting at what I as viewer ought to expect and feel about a particular episode before it is aired. They're dictating to me how and why I should feel about a yet-to-be-aired episode, raising my expectations of that particular episode to such a degree that if I don't feel it meets those expectations the episode is completely ruined for me. (Or in the case of last week's episode, completely ruinig the shock factor it was meant to invoke in me.) Instead I find myself sitting in front of the TV screen expecting something wonderful to happen, only for such expectations to be reduced to a damp squib.

Speculating about something that may happen or may not even happen - which is what you and bel110 are doing re: Will's girlfriend - is fine, to me anyway. It's not as if you're discussing something and divulging content that you know has already happened and been aired in the US and not in the UK.

Like I said, the above about spoilers are my own opinions. Others may feel differently. For some shows, some people don't mind spoilers while others do mind. I don't mind spoilers for TV soaps, for instance, because that TV genre has become so predictable these days I could write my own spoiler list and bet my life on them showing up in one form or anothe, still not have my tv experience ruined as a result. Others might differ. On the other hand, TV drama for me (whatever the sub-genre: sci-fi, legal, triller, murder mystery etc) is a whole different ballgame altogether.:blush:

Anyway, I'm not going to go on about spoilers and stuff on this thread anymore, suffice to say if it happens again that will be me done with the thread. Rather that than have someone (selfishly) ruin the experience for me.:(
    qwertyell wrote: »
    The writers are pretty flexible when it comes to dropping characters or plots that just aren't working. Last season, Kalinda's husband was supposed to have a much longer story arc, but the audience just didn't buy into it at all, so they quietly got rid of him and he was never mentioned again.

I imagine Damien went the same way - too much of a cartoonish villain in a show that tries to keep things "real".

That interview you posted last week by Julianne was rather telling I thought. in it she said they had already planned a storyline arc for the season and had written episodes well in advance for them to shoot. It wouldn't surprise me if introducing Damien was just part of a hasty rewrite to make way for Josh's departure. Also explains why Damien came from nowhere and in a rather brash and ,in-yer-face' kind of way. They had no plans (I assume) keep him longer than they needed, and they probably didn't want us to like him as a result. And maybe they kind of didn't wanting Alicia hallucinating too long and self-flagellating herself over Will hating her stealing clients - it would bore most viewers pretty quickly.:blush:
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Because it may one of those things that are down to individual taste, I can't speak for everyone who posts on here, but for me it's not so much a discussion about what might happen that bothers me. Rather it is discussions or hints about what has already happened that bugs me, especially by people who have already seen an episode on US PACE and know already what others who haven't seen it on UK PACE should expect.

Hints like: 'Oh, the next episode is going to be great! Keep watching!' or 'You guys are going to be in for a shocker!' Why do I hate that and describe those kind of hints as a spoiler? Because they divulge content and episodic experience on an episode already aired in the US - i.e. they are hinting at what I as viewer ought to expect and feel about a particular episode before it is aired. They're dictating to me how and why I should feel about a yet-to-be-aired episode, raising my expectations of that particular episode to such a degree that if I don't feel it meets those expectations the episode is completely ruined for me. (Or in the case of last week's episode, completely ruinig the shock factor it was meant to invoke in me.) Instead I find myself sitting in front of the TV screen expecting something wonderful to happen, only for such expectations to be reduced to a damp squib.

Speculating about something that may happen or may not even happen - which is what you and bel110 are doing re: Will's girlfriend - is fine, to me anyway. It's not as if you're discussing something and divulging content that you know has already happened and been aired in the US and not in the UK.

Nails it ^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I missed the whole Damian Boyle exit. missed it totally will have to get it on catch up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fickrick wrote: »
    OMG I missed the whole Damian Boyle exit. missed it totally will have to get it on catch up

There was no exit. He just vanished without a trace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh right I thought someone said Will had fired him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh right I thought someone said Will had fired him

Over the phone before he was shot. We didn't see any of that.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stars of this episode were David Lee and Diane.

David's grief was quite touching, then back to being his usual self when Diane fired the cleint. They really should make more of him, he;s a great character.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member

Terrible character. Glad to see the back of him.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little bit of trivia for you. Apparently, Julianna was third choice to play Alicia.

Ashley Judd was originally given the part which she rejected. (Wonder if she's kicking herself stupid. Can't think of any other thing she has done other Double Jeopardy that is repeated on Film4 more times than I can care to mention.)

Helen Hunt was second choice.

I think it would have been a completely different show with either of two actresses playing the role. I can't imagine anyone than Julianna playing the role now.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A merger over a martini or three. Perfect way to seal the deal. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Will fired Damien Boyle? Maybe Diane didn't get his message.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    Terrible character. Glad to see the back of him.

ok so he is still here! whats going on
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok so he is still here! whats going on

Damien Boyle I'm pretty sure he's a partner - can't be fired
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Damien Boyle I'm pretty sure he's a partner - can't be fired

He's a partner? Since when? Last week Finn said Will fired him over the phone just before he was shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so will was shot before anyone knew he was fired maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    so will was shot before anyone knew he was fired maybe.

Yes that could be the only reason he's still there.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very bizarre re Damian Boyle...dont understand this at all :confused:

fired?, nicking clients?, now seeking to remove Diane???? :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He he tit for tat. Foxies back.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    The Damien shit makes no sense, but I think we can assume he's gone for good now.