BBC3 - Murdered by my boyfriend

riannerianne Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone watch??

The ending is inevitable given the title, but I was still shocked by some of the things I saw. I know there are no words to describe it but it's harrowing to know so many people men and women are experiencing this everyday and the friends of these victims feel helpless,

Comments

• meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was very well done.

That poor girl. When he hit her in work, I can't believe he wasn't put away.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a moving story.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disturbing, I'm wishing I hadn't watched it now.
    I read about it in my tv mag, so knew that it was a true story, so can't say I didn't know about it.
    The actor playing Reece said he had to sit in a room alone, before and after filming the end scene, he himself was shocked and disturbed by it.

Brilliantly acted by the two leads though.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make you wonder why there's no way the state can forcibly press charges in extreme cases like this, although I would imagine highlighting that was probably the point.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It does make you wonder why there's no way the state can forcibly press charges in extreme cases like this, although I would imagine highlighting that was probably the point.

The sad thing is alot of women wont press charges and keep going back to their abuser. I was surprised that she didnt get a restraining order against him in view of the fact that he harrassed her relentlessly.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme really got to me. The abuse was obviously, all bad, but the one part that really made me, shout out, was when he hit her with the ironing board. That was so so evil. It took me, a while to shake the programme off. The main actors were great.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I agree with what's already been said - it was so powerful and deeply shocking. I actually screamed out when he got the ironing board.

I watched it with a growing sense of dread, knowing the outcome beforehand.

I just thank God that I've never been in a relationship that was anything like that.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An important TV show. Very well done - not perfect, but very close. I think it must have been very traumatising for the two main actors who did a fantastic job (as did the rest of the cast).

On a side note though, why has it become the done thing for lots of dramas/films nowadays to just give the plot away in the title. What happened to clever titles? I think in this case it was maybe justified to get people watching as there was not a huge amount of promotion.

Anyway, I hope this gets broadcast on at least BBC2, as more people need to be aware of this issue and as others have said, the law probably changed so the perpetrators, male or female, can be charged and hopefully put in jail without the victim pressing charges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Truly harrowing and shocking ! I'm still thinking about this.
  • pinkwaferpinkwafer Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should show this in schools. I thought it was really well done.
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really hard to watch, especially the last scenes.......brilliantly acted in what must have been difficult roles

This should really be reshown on BBC1 to get the message across to a bigger audience
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The physically abusive guys know how to pick their victims. They target girls with low self-esteem and then work on destroying what's left of that. They also isolate them from their friends and family, leaving them dependant on the abuser. That's the way they operate.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    It was very, very well acted by all and it was one of the most powerful programmes I've ever watched.

Incredible, harrowing and disturbing all at the same time.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God that was depressing and the ironing board bit made me feel sick
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme is repeated on Thursday night, also a report on domestic violence is shown before it.

I can't watch it again, I'm still thinking about it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The physically abusive guys know how to pick their victims. They target girls with low self-esteem and then work on destroying what's left of that. They also isolate them from their friends and family, leaving them dependant on the abuser. That's the way they operate.

You make it sound like it's calculated when it really isn't. Mental illness is what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its was very difficult to watch. Not being picky but where was her Mum in all of this? We saw her when the pregnancy was announced but never saw her again.

Very chilling to see him put the little girl back to bed and then just go and continue to beat up and kill her Mum. When you think of the people living like this now...today, its just heartbreaking.

Was listening to the news a few weeks back about how domestic violence goes through the roof when a football tournament is on. Boozed up 'people' (yes women as well so can't put men) who go crazy at home if their team lose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Its was very difficult to watch. Not being picky but where was her Mum in all of this? We saw her when the pregnancy was announced but never saw her again.

Me and my sister were talking about this. Maybe the writer of the programme decided to focus on her friends' behavior, rather than her mother's. The drama was based on a true story so I wonder if the mum wasn't really present during most of her daughter's abuse.
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    You make it sound like it's calculated when it really isn't. Mental illness is what it is.

It's essentially about power and control. Claiming it's a mental illness is just an excuse for the abuser.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »

Very chilling to see him put the little girl back to bed and then just go and continue to beat up and kill her Mum. When you think of the people living like this now...today, its just heartbreaking.

Was listening to the news a few weeks back about how domestic violence goes through the roof when a football tournament is on. Boozed up 'people' (yes women as well so can't put men) who go crazy at home if their team lose.

Bib - I got the impression she kind of cut contact with her mum when she was 17 and told her of the pregnancy, because her mum didn't approve of him. She said things like "I'm not a child/we are going to be a family" and things like that and I just got the impression her and her mother didn't speak again.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ending was really haunting. I kind of don't know why I watched it because it was obvious how it was going to end, that was pretty horrific - its the sort of thing that will stay with you for a while (if your like me anyway). Its shocking that such things go on. I guess I was trying to figure out exactly what the girl (I've forgotten her name(!)) thought, in as much as the voice over etc. seemed to indicate she felt some element of blame and at least at one stage did want to try and forge a healthy relationship with him, for the sake of their child.

I was concerned she'd end up committing suicide after she mentioned that she felt utterly tired of him constantly chasing her, having to hide from him and call the police then becoming weak at some point and taking him back again - then in that earlier scene when she all but walked away from him after the first initial violent encounter, you wish she had just gone and never looked back but I suppose he still would have stalked her and did what he did? its easy to say but you wish she'd have been able to go to a refuge or something.

One thing I did wonder as well was why she hadn't (presumably) changed her phone number, due to the number of times he kept calling her phone over and over again but I suppose she was maybe scared doing so would anger him even more. Ugh. The use of the ironing board at the very end was horrific, I felt queasy watching that, then the last scene just showing her face and no more, thank heck nothing more was seen as I don't think I could handle that. Its utterly disturbing such things go on - I wonder how the daughter is? infact thats another thing, how seemingly 'normal' the guy (Reece?) seemed to be when he turned to guide her out of the room at the end, before doing what he did. Horrendous.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Bib - I got the impression she kind of cut contact with her mum when she was 17 and told her of the pregnancy, because her mum didn't approve of him. She said things like "I'm not a child/we are going to be a family" and things like that and I just got the impression her and her mother didn't speak again.

When Reece demanded she texted photos to prove her whereabouts one of them was with her Mum. Maybe they weren't permitted to tell that side of the story. It would have been even more upsetting seeing her Mum deal with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end it stated that she lay dying for 2 hours before medical help came.
    Who called an ambulance? it must have been him surely, the little girl was too young, or was it a neighbour?
    Does anyone know who he is in real life? 20 years in prison anyway. Hope he had his come uppance in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    At the end it stated that she lay dying for 2 hours before medical help came.
    Who called an ambulance? it must have been him surely, the little girl was too young, or was it a neighbour?
    Does anyone know who he is in real life? 20 years in prison anyway. Hope he had his come uppance in there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050414/Casey-Brittle-beaten-death-violent-partner-Sanchez-Williams.html

I think that, the programme was based on her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it has to be the lady in the link as everything fits. Gosh they sure chose well with the actors.

I hope the little girl is doing as well as a child can do after that start in life. One parent dead and one in prison.